5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 10:08 AM by G.Hoffmann

What is the dot gain setting in the US Web Coated Swop v2 profile?

kenzierlemmons

Hey guys,

This might seem like a bit of a n00b question, but I really can't find this info any which way I Google it.

What is the default dot gain setting in the US Web Coated SWOP v2 profile?

Allow me to explain my dilema:

My printer told me to use the US Web Coated SWOP v2 this profile for a catalog we're printing. 4/4 on 100# gloss book stock. However I've used that profile in the past and the prints came out darker than I expected them to. I don't have a high enough quality printer to be able to test this in-house, but I'm pretty sure my monitor is not overly bright or set to an overly high contrast level. They indicated to me that their standard dot gain is about 10-15%

I assumed the SWOP v2 profile accounted for 20% dot gain as that appears to be the default for many of the other color settings, but I've never known for sure. I'm trying to decide if I need to use a custom profile with a higher dot gain setting.

Thanks for any help!

Kenzier

• 1. Re: What is the dot gain setting in the US Web Coated Swop v2 profile?
          G.Hoffmann Level 3

Hello Kenzier,

the ICC-profile US Web Coated SWOP contains a tone reproduction curve  (TRC)

which cannot be characterized accurately by Dot Gain or Gamma.

For the entry in Color Settings > Gray we can proceed as follows:

Color Settings > Gray > Load gray > (click on) USWebCoatedSWOP.icc > Save gray

This saves a 'Black-ink-profile' with a similar name, which replaces Dot Gain

or Gamma settings.

This profile can be interpreted by the program ICC Profile Inspector (free):

Here we have kTRC (black ink tone reproduction curve), the red line.

With the auxiliary black diagonal one can read the effective  dot gain 20%,

the blue line.

Black-ink-SWOP.png

The printer should tell you a profile which is representative (a good approximation)

for his actual process.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

• 2. Re: What is the dot gain setting in the US Web Coated Swop v2 profile?
            jdanek Level 4

You must fid a way to proof your jobs before they go to press.  That is the only way you are going to be able to deal with color issues.  For 100# gloss media, 20% is actually 5-10% above ( per your printer telling you they get 10-15% dot gain on-press ).  Keep in mind that even a properly profiled monitor is going to be 15-20% brighter than the actual reflective print.  You may have to adjust your images more inline with the total ink parameters of the press.  Can you be more specific on the areas that are appearing darker ( my guess it is the upper mids and shadows )?

• 3. Re: What is the dot gain setting in the US Web Coated Swop v2 profile?
              G.Hoffmann Level 3

If an ICC-profile is not valid for a certain medium, then we cannot use it for soft proofing.

Tweaking is not a solution.

Any guess about dot gain is entirely meaningless in a color managed workflow, based

on ICC-profiles.

• 4. Re: What is the dot gain setting in the US Web Coated Swop v2 profile?
                kenzierlemmons Level 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, my printer's technical staff is not terribly helpful, so I'll probably just have to live with the problem until I find one in my price range who is more helpful. I've definitely been tempted to "jerry-rig" the images in the past to compensate for this issue, but I knew that was not an ideal solution, so this time around, I wanted to work with the printer to take a technical approach.

jdanek -- Yes, it appears to be the mid shadows that are the most problematic.

Gernot -- This path doesn't seem to exist exactly how you wrote it: Color Settings > Gray > Load gray > (click on) USWebCoatedSWOP.icc > Save gray     I'm still using CS3, so that may be why.

Thanks,
                Kenzier

• 5. Re: What is the dot gain setting in the US Web Coated Swop v2 profile?
                  G.Hoffmann Level 3

Kenzier,

I'm sure this workflow exists, as tested by CS2. If necessary I can test it by CS6.

More important: any gray setting can be derived from a complete CMYK profile.