29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 9:32 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

anchor full-page image to spot in text?

straightlife Level 1

Been working forever on a lengthy project with lotsa text and lotsa of photos inline with the text.

Whenever I do any minor modifications anywhere in the text or spacing, of course all the photos move to the wrong places.

Unless the photo is a small one and is placed truly within the text, in which case I can anchor it and it stays where it belongs.

but sometimes the photos w/captions (grouped) take up a full page.

Then there is no text on the page to anchor them to.

Is there anyway to anchor them to the text on the previous page?

• 1. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Is there anyway to anchor them to the text on the previous page?

If i understand you correctly, paste the image as inline and create paragraph style with keep option start paragraph on next page and apply this paragraph to the full image.

• 2. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
            straightlife Level 1

I don't think I was clear.  I'm attaching a photo of a spread.  If you can read the text on the left hand page, the last paragraph begins with the words, "when I was 15."  The photo on the opposite full page must be right next to that paragraph. But I know of no way to anchor it to that para.  Is there a way?

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 2.37.52 PM.png

• 3. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
              Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Yes, there is! Reproducing the concept of "floating" object (Figure and Table) as in FrameMaker!

• 5. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                Migintosh Level 4

straightlife wrote:

The photo on the opposite full page must be right next to that paragraph.

The last paragraph on page 14 describes the top photo on page 15, so if you want the photo of the college to be next to the paragraph, your choices are to move the paragraph to page 15 (and have the photo below it) or have a large gap at the top of page 15 (which I don't think would look all that good). To do the first choice, you could take Salah's suggestion and use the Keep Options. Here are a few screenshots to explain:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 5.04.59 AM.png

Here's a page something like what you have, only with columns on one page instead of two pages. I want to keep the red text with the image. I have the Keep Options of the red text set to keep at least two lines together when a paragraph spans a column or frame break:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 5.06.06 AM.png

…but all of the red text fits in the left column, so there is no need for a break. I set the Keep Options of the graphic paragraph to Keep with Previous:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 5.06.24 AM.png

…and I get this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 5.07.36 AM.png

…so any time the graphic is pushed to a new column or frame, at least two lines of the red text will go with it. If you need the whole red paragraph to stay with the graphic, set the Keep Options of the red paragraph to Keep All Lines Together like this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 5.06.43 AM.png

…and you'll get this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 5.06.48 AM.png

Is that close to what you need?

• 6. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

Hi Migintosh,

Salah and you are totally right!

But as you know, make what straightlife exactly wants seems not possible in ID because, as I said, ID ignores the concept of "floating" blocks (see FrameMaker).

So, imagine you are able to anchored the figure of the page 15 at the bottom of the page 14 [anchor within the 2 last lines at the bottom of this page] so that, if layout moves (eg, the text part on the page 14 moves on the page 15, what becomes the elements of the actual page 15? Well, they move on the page 16!

Impossible! I only can tell you no.

• 7. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                    Migintosh Level 4

I've never used FrameMaker, so I don't know what you mean by "floating blocks." I also don't know if I understood what straightlife was after, but she can tell us one way or the other.

• 8. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

"Floating" means that if an block anchored in a text part has not enough space to stay on the page where is its anchor, it "slides" on the next page! The same thing about tables.

It'a amazing feature of FM.

• 9. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                        Migintosh Level 4

In this case, the "text" is on page 14, and the "block" is on page 15. The solution that I proposed moves the text to page 15 if the text and block together don't fit on page 14, so I don't see how that does anything less than what you are proposing.

• 10. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

Visually, what I mean is exactly like straightlife shows. It's not what you propose. Try to leave the text part of the page 14 on this page!

• 11. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                            Migintosh Level 4

I don't know if what she is showing is what she whats or what she has. If that's what she wants, all she has to do is place the image inline in it's own paragraph after the text paragraph, and it will always be there. If it needs to go on it's own page, she can set that in the Start Paragraph section of the Keep Options.

• 12. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

OK.

Let us do as you say:

Migintosh wrote:

… If that's what she wants, all she has to do is place the image inline in it's own paragraph after the text paragraph, and it will always be there. …

Can you give us the block anchoring settings in this case and exactly where do you anchor the block (take sample of what she shows us)? Thanks!

• 13. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                Migintosh Level 4

The paragraph on her page 14 that starts with "When I was 15…" is represented in my example with red text. Her photo at the top of page 15 is represented in my example with the image of the Tea box. All of the Keep Option settings are in the screenshots.

• 14. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

Migintosh,

Aha! you're cheating ... it's bad! 

You have anchored the image in a new para below the text para!

Anchor the figure "within" the text para. Is more "delicate"! That is the "floating" concept!

• 15. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                    Migintosh Level 4

I don't understand what you are saying. I explained in my earlier post that the image is in it's own paragraph. How is that cheating? And in post #6 you said that the "floating" concept was impossible in InDesign, so I don't understand that either.

• 16. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

The difficulty here is not in what you have proposed. In this case, you're totally right and I would fix it like you.

The problem is, apparently, in the sample straightlife showed us.

The para at the bottom of his page 14 apparently continues on the page 16. Between the two pages, there's the page 15 with something (figures and text) that concern these 2 lines at the bottom of the page 14.

If you move the text of the bottom of the page 14 to the top of the page 15, what happens?

With FrameMaker, the text following (of the actual page 16) goes below (so page 15) and the elemens of the actual page 15 go to the page 16.

Automatically, without doing nothing!

With ID, It's a mess!

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 17. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                        Salah Fadlabi Level 5

The para at the bottom of his page 14 apparently continues on the page 16. Between the two pages, there's the page 15 with something (figures and text) that concern these 2 lines at the bottom of the page 14.

If you move the text of the bottom of the page 14 to the top of the page 15, what happens?

Obi-wan kenboi, that's interset point because if you move text to the top the full image move to page 16 and there's a big white blank area on page 15.

• 18. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

Hi Salah,

I don't want this "awful" big white blank area on page 15! I want the following of the text (apparently actually on the page 16)! 

• 19. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                            Migintosh Level 4

Obi-wan Kenobi wrote:

The para at the bottom of his page 14 apparently continues on the page 16.

Yes it does, but straightlife has not said that this is the problem she is trying to solve. Maybe it is and maybe it's not, but you and I are making assumptions. If the photos are placed as freestanding objects, then the text will flow around the photos if that's what she has set it up to do. But in her first post, she has said that the graphics are inline.

straightlife wrote:

Been working forever on a lengthy project with lotsa text and lotsa of photos inline with the text.

Maybe her use of the word "inline" is not what InDesign's definition is, but she is the only one who can tell us, and until she comes back, we don't know.

Maybe what she wants is a paragraph with a custom anchor, rather than an inline image. Maybe that's what she did. Maybe she set the paragraph on the left page and pasted the object at the beginning of the paragraph. Maybe she then changed it from inline to custom and dragged it to the next page and applied text wrap. Maybe after all of that her layout chagned and some of the paragraph jumped to the next page, but because the image was there, there wasn't enough room so the rest of the paragraph went to page 16. All of that is possible, and would look exactly like her screenshot. None of that matters, because we don't know what she wants.

My assumption was that she wanted the text and graphic to be together, and what I described will do that. If I'm wrong, it won't, but like I said, we won't know until she comes back with more info.

Obi-wan Kenobi wrote:

With FrameMaker, the text following (of the actual page 16) goes below (so page 15) and the elemens of the actual page 15 go to the page 16.

Automatically, without doing nothing!

With ID, It's a mess!

It is exactly the same in ID, if you use an inline image.

1. Place the image on the pasteboard
                                            2. Select it with the Select tool
                                            3. Cut it
                                            4. Switch to the text tool
                                            5. Place the cursor at the end of the paragraph that begins with "When I was 15…"
                                            6. Hit the Enter/Return key to make a new paragraph
                                            7. Paste

The image is now "inline" and will flow with the text, just like you describe with FrameMaker. If the image must be on the same page as the text, use the Keep Options. If the paragraph and the text can't fit on the same page, you have to either edit the text or the image.

• 20. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

What I try to explain and what we apparently are not able to do with ID.

FrameMaker can do this:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I've indicated the anchor of the red block. Inserted in the text para and defined as "floating" object.

This anchor is on the last line of the 1rst page. I've added a line before. So the text moves and the line with the anchor moves on the 2nd page... So, the red block moves on the 3rd page and the following of the text (initially on page 3) come back on the page 2. An attitude quite logical and, mainly, quite automatic!

• 21. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                                Migintosh Level 4

Maybe we are having a language problem. I get the impression that English is not your first language, and I am only fluent in English, so we may not be able to understand each other. Everything you have written about this FrameMaker "floating blocks" feature sounds like inline graphics to me, and yet you keep telling me that it is not. I'll have to take your word for it, but I don't see how that matters, since straightlife doesn't know what FrameMaker is, and she is working in InDesign. Until she comes back with a response, we won't know if anything we have written is of any help to her at all.

• 22. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

What I can tell you is that, when I read her, working with XPress, FrameMaker and ID, I understand that what I show you can be an "untoward" problem for her ... and for others. 

• 23. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                                    straightlife Level 1

Good morning friends! Well what Migintosh describes with the two-column illustration & the keep option looks like exactly what I want. And I will try it after I have my morning coffee here in L.A.  I may have misused the word "inline". I don't know. But my own illustration shows exactly what I WANT. I want the image attached to the para that begins "when I was 15" BUT it must remain a full page. I DONT want any text (other than the caption) showing along with it. And the actual image is in fact BOTH pictures combined in Photoshop with caption added in indesign. So it is one image and must have a full page. I will get back to you after I have my coffee and try it. And I greatly appreciate all from both of you. I'll let you know!

• 24. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

Sorry! ID can't gently do it here in your sample!

• 25. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                                        straightlife Level 1

Okay, I tried what Migintosh suggested.  Here are a series of catastrophic screenshots of what happened.

I cheated, because I'm working with an entirely different page.  (Long story)

I want the full page picture of the building to follow the paragraph on the previous page.

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 8.31.09 AM.png

As shown below...

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 8.22.50 AM.png

So I followed your instructions.  I cut the photo. I then placed it on the pasteboard.

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 8.25.18 AM.png

Then I set the cursor in the para I wanted the photo to follow

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 8.26.09 AM.png

You can't  see it but the curser is set after the word "that" the last word on page 163

Then I hit "paste" and a whole bunch of pages are suddenly blank.  So it doesn't work for me.

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 8.27.33 AM.png

• 26. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

I reassure you: not only for you, but for everybody who uses ID!

• 27. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                                            Migintosh Level 4

There are a few things to check.

straightlife wrote:

So I followed your instructions.  I cut the photo. I then placed it on the pasteboard.

Actually, what I said was to place the photo on the pasteboard. By this, I meant to use File>Place (if you didn't already have an image in the document), and I chose the pasteboard for the location just so it would be out of the way. That, and because the pasteboard is usually empty, and you wouldn't accidentally place it into another frame. Anyway, how ever you get the photo into the document, now is the time to select it with the selection tool (so that you select both the photo and the image frame) and either cut or copy, just so it goes onto the clipboard. Once it is on the clipboard, it will paste. If you change to the text tool and place the cursor within your text, it will paste as an inline object, and act pretty much the same way any text character will.

straightlife wrote:

Then I hit "paste" and a whole bunch of pages are suddenly blank.  So it doesn't work for me.

There are a few reasons why the pages went blank. The most likely is that the image you are pasting is larger than the text frame you are pasting it into. If you place your cursor back after the word "that" and go to Edit>Edit in Story Editor, you should see an anchor icon where you pasted the image before. The icon looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.51.53 AM.png

Here's an example with screenshots. I start with this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.52.29 AM.png

…which is a page with two linked text frames and a free-standing image. I cut the image, place the cursor after the last character of the upper box and paste, and here's what I get:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.53.10 AM.png

The two text frames are still connected, but the image, which should have gone into the first frame didn't. That's because there wasn't room, so it went with the text flow to the next available frame, which was the lower one, but it didn't show up there either. Not only that, but all of the text from the lower frame disappeared. Actually, it didn't disappear, it went into overset (the red box at the bottom of the lower text frame. But, if I go to the story editor, the anchor shows that the image is still in the frame, even though you can't see it because nothing is large enough to show it at this time. But, if I expand the upper box to make it large enough to fit the image:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.58.33 AM.png

It will fit. Or, I could expand the lower box:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.58.43 AM.png

…or, I could click the out port of the lower box and continue the story to a third frame, and as long as I make it large enough to fit the image:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.59.24 AM.png

…it will show. So, what you need to do is make sure that the thing you are pasting into a text frame isn't larger than the frame itself. You have to take into acount not only the size of the object, but also any text inset value you may have on the text frame itself. These are the settings in Object>Text Frame Options that let you have a buffer between the edges of the text frame and the text (like the margins of a page, but for a text frame).

By the way, if I'm giving you any information that you already know, I hope you won't think I'm talking down to you. I just don't know what you know, and it also helps if someone else finds this thread in the future.

• 28. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?
                                                              straightlife Level 1

Migintosh, I think the image was, in fact too big

I'll try resizing it and try your method AGAIN.

But I have to spend the day away from the computer.

I'll try when I get back and let you know and THANKS!

• 29. Re: anchor full-page image to spot in text?

I do not want to play the bad guy in the story but it does not work anyway!