5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 2:57 PM by ECBowen

10 bit Editing Monitors

Martin Douglas Level 2

We are in the process of looking at 27inch Displays for our new Duel Xeon Workstation and I was wondering what your opinion would be on using a Quadro K600 or K2000 to drive two Asus PA279Q 10bit wide gamut monitors and using a separate Geforce GTX780 for Cuda processing.

We are using Adobe CC with about 70% Premiere, 20% After Effects and 10% Photoshop. Also a Declink for External Monitoring.

Anyone doing anything similar, What do you think?  Worth it.

Look forward to hearing any opinions.

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: 10 bit Editing Monitors
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never run a Quadro and a GTX card at the same time but have heard that since there are two different drivers required there can be some problems.  The reason of course why I have not tried this is of course the cost of the Quadro cards.  Just for background over the course of many years for PPBM testing; I own and have tested the following cards 9500GT, GTX 260, GTX 285, GTX 480, GTX 550 Ti, GTX 580, GT 640, GTX 660, GTX 680, GTX 770, and a GTX 780

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

I would suggest that you deal with a real video editing expert system builder like ADK who can build you a guaranteed system with lifetime technical support.

• 2. Re: 10 bit Editing Monitors
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would not suggest either of those cards. The GPU acceleration performance would be poor at best. The Blackmagic card will give you 10bit output for Premiere and AE. If you need 10bit for Photoshop then you will want the Quadro for display and a Geforce card for the GPU acceleration in Premiere. Otherwise you would want the Quadro K4000 at the least and that card is still significantly slower than the 770 or 780GTX cards.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: 10 bit Editing Monitors
              ljhbti@btinternet.com Level 1

I don’t wish to hijack your post Martin but this of interest so please bear with me.

Eric,

I currently have a Asus P9X79-E WS MB, Intel Core i7 Extreme 4930K and a Nvidia K4000. If I added a GeForce GTX 780 would I be right in assuming that the CPU would recognise this and use the processing power of both cards in unison? My monitor is connected to the K4000

I use both Premiere and Photoshop

Thanks, LJ

• 4. Re: 10 bit Editing Monitors
                cc_merchant Level 4

See Tweakers Page - What video card to use?

From that article:

If you consider using two video cards, beware that the easiest and least troublesome way to do that, is by using two video cards from the same family and preferably the same generation, so either all GeForce cards, or all Quadro cards. Mixing them can cause serious headaches. The same generation means all cards belong to the 6xx series or all cards belong to the 7xx series and in the case of Quadro all are K-series.

• 5. Re: 10 bit Editing Monitors
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Premiere would on render but not realtime playback. Photoshop would not but doesnt need more than a Quadro K4000 anyway. Keep in mind though the Quadro K4000 may slow down the export with a 780GTX involved. Make sure you test with both and just the 780GTX set as the GPU acceleration in the Nvidia control panel.

Eric

ADK