2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2006 6:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

Shift-Tabbing

Level 7
      If I have several editable fields in a project, it's pretty easy to set them
      up such that the Tab key will automatically cycle through them. However,
      making the Shift-Tab cycle through them in reverse seems less obvious. (By
      default, it just cycles through the same way, with or without the Shift
      key.) No biggie, it's just one of those things people often expect to be
      able to do, and I was just wondering if anybody had an easy way of making it
      happen.

• 1. Re: Shift-Tabbing
          Level 7
          You may be able to intercept the keystroke with an on keydown handler (
          attached to each field?) if you can trigger a tab key handler, it could
          change fields by changing the keyboardFocusSprite ( you may have to
          maintain a list of field sprite numbers for your code to walk through)
          • 2. Re: Shift-Tabbing
            Level 7
            > You may be able to intercept the keystroke with an on keydown handler (
            > attached to each field?) if you can trigger a tab key handler, it could
            > change fields by changing the keyboardFocusSprite ( you may have to
            > maintain a list of field sprite numbers for your code to walk through)

Yeah, I was afraid I might have to code it all by hand. It's odd though,
            that regular tabbing works by default, whereas you have to pull off a bunch
            of tricks to get it to work in reverse. It's like they left the feature
            half-finished. I was just wondering if there was some way to tab to the
            previous field that didn't require keeping a list of all the fields to do
            it. Like simply "TabToField(current - 1)" or something like that. (Not
            that this would be that complicated to code, I just think it's one of those
            things we shouldn't have to, since it's pretty much a default behavior you'd
            expect to work in any case.)