9 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 7:12 PM by Bill Gehrke

Is my system worth upgrading?

timmytron

I'm finding my system is starting to struggle with video previewing and playback on the timeline. I mostly edit video from a GoPro Hero 3+ in 1080 @ 60/30fps which typically works okay. However, when dealing with anything filmed at 2.7k @ 30fps, it really seems to be struggling to deal with it resulting in incredibly choppy playback.

My system currently consists of:

- Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3

- Intel i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz

- 16GB Ram (Don't remember what brand exactly)

- NVidia GeForce GTX 570

- OCZ-Agility3 128gb SSD (for OS)

- Samsung HD204UI 2TB HDD for media storage / application installs

I've been reading up on the similar type of discussions here as well as Tweakers Page for some ideas about what to do. I'm torn between upgrading whatever components above are considered the weakest link vs buying a whole new system. My issue could also be something as simple/stupid as the fact that my media and Premiere install is not kept on an SSD.

I'm leaning towards a updating the CPU to an i7 3770K and the graphics card to a GTX 760 and possibly another SSD just for editing. Could I expect much of an improvement from this or am I essentially just flogging a dead horse?

• 1. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Upgrading to the i7-3770k would be very significant; you would be gaining hyperthreading, a smaller die size cpu (22nm vs 32nm runs cooler and uses less power), and a smidge of clock speed over your current cpu. Your current GPU will probably be nicely matched for this level of upgrade.

Your current Green rotating drive is slow. Use your funds towards a 2x 7200rpm RAID 0 array using Intel motherboard ports instead of going with a SSD. Small, affordable SSDs have horrible write speed and the really good stuff would be a poor balance for your overall low price point rig.

Alternatively, you could step up a whole level more to a 6-core x79 system instead of upgrading your cpu (but in addition to the hard drive upgrade):

- x79 motherboard; expensive before, but they are some serious deals on them now (i.e. new, open box deals on Asus x79 boards for around $150)

- i7-3930k or i7-4930k; expensive, but worth it if you want a seamless timeline experience (you currently have 4 total cores, this cpu w/ hypertheads will give you 12)

- 32GB RAM (not worth upgrading your current system to this, but better overall for a fresh build)

If you care a lot about output render speed to DVD formats, GPUs are great. For most everything else, CPU power is the bottleneck. You can monitor your CPU and GPU activity while using Premiere to confirm what aspects to your workflow taxes the various components.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
            timmytron Level 1

Thanks for the insight Jim.

I believe the most sensible option would be to change the CPU to an i7 3770K (which I assume is the best I can source for my current motherboard, please correct me if I am wrong) and to add 2x additional HDD's which I'll slap into a Raid 0 for the Premiere install and all related media files.

A bit of research on the best performing 1TB hdd leads me to the Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1003FZEX. What would you suggest there?

• 3. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Are you using CS6 or CC? Have you tried converting the GoPro media to Cineform?

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
                timmytron Level 1

Hi Eric

I'm using CS6. I haven't tried converting the media to Cineform first before editing - although it may be worth a shot. Thanks for your information.

• 5. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

timmytron wrote:

add 2x additional HDD's which I'll slap into a Raid 0 for the Premiere install and all related media files.

Do not install Premiere on your project RAID array.  Install it in he default location on the C: drive.

Then test it with our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM6 for your CS6) to compare to other users.

• 6. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
                    timmytron Level 1

Hi everyone, just to come back to update where I'm at now.

I ended up purchasing the I7-3770k and a Samsung Pro 840 256gb SSD as a new C: drive

I recycled my old OCZ-Agility3 128gb SSD as my editing drive where I moved the project file and source media I'm working with for a particular video.

I've done the reinstall of Win 7 and installed Premiere Pro again and while the overall the performance of the machine feels much better, I still have slow/choppy timeline playback when I've added effects to video (in particular time remapping - I have to render the effect before being able to watch it smoothly).

Is it correct to say that only the higher-end rigs will be able to preview the timeline at real time happily? Or should what I have be somewhat capable of doing this?

I'm not done going over the tweaker's guide again to check I've got everything set correctly, but any guidance from the experts here as to what I should be looking at to improve performance further would be most appreciated.

• 7. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Glad the upgrade went well!

If you are using GoPro footage that can be pretty tough for many systems. You may want to convert it using a free utility available now from GoPro to ease the stress on your timeline.

Another tip, reduce the playback resolution; you need to set this according to the strength of your system and the challanges of your media, timeline, workflow, etc.

You would likely get the best performance with your project on the OCZ but your scratch and cache files on the 840 Pro.

Running the PPBM7 (www.ppbm7.com) benchmark will separately test the drive, cpu, and gpu sections of your system. Report the results back here if you would like some feedback regarding whether your system is performing as it should, or if something may not be properly configured & tweaked.

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I believe the last update of CS6 really helped with the Go Pro media. That codec is extremely CPU intensive. Have you tried Cineform yet?

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Is my system worth upgrading?
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your really want good playing of the timeline you should try overclocking your CPU, but that may not be possible with your older motherboard.  I found that to be true in my case.