12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 12:26 AM by Willi Adelberger

keeping the original name

genik

Is it possible to keep the original .inx file name, when saving it back as indd from an older Indesign version?

Elaborating… i save an inx file from IndesignCS3 that is named george.inx, then i open that file in IndesignCS2, when i save that file from CS2 as indd it doesn't keep the name "george", its named untitled.

Is there a way to keep the original name?

• 1. Re: keeping the original name
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Click on the old file, it will take the name from that file.

• 2. Re: keeping the original name
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

All .inx files open as untitled and you may save as a new .indd file with any name you like. I would recommend against using the same name and overwriting the old version -- you never know when you might need it.

• 3. Re: keeping the original name
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’d be curious to know what the exact workflow is here. If the clients need CS2 files why not just start out in CS2 and be done with it?

• 4. Re: keeping the original name
                genik Level 1

Well here is what is going on. There is a team of users that all use CS2 apart from one thats on an intel mac and uses CS3. In the workflow there are only IndesignCS2 files that are exchanged throughout all users, so the CS3user must fit in without creating any compatibility issues or disruppting the workflow!

• 5. Re: keeping the original name

I’m afraid that’s impossible as you’ve already discovered.

• 6. Re: keeping the original name
                    genik Level 1

Well calling it impossible i would say is a little harsh, but you could say that there are some drawbacks with this CS3 user, anyway nothing that cant be dealt with. Thank you all

• 7. Re: keeping the original name

You said: "the CS3user must fit in without creating any compatibility issues or disruppting the workflow"

Harsh or not, that is simply impossible.

• 8. Re: keeping the original name
                        genik Level 1

Ok, this is not a matter to dissagree on cause im already thankfull for your contribution, i just want to say that i would call it impossible only if CS3user couldnt save for CS2 (he can via inx file), dont you think?

• 9. Re: keeping the original name
                          genik Level 1

Also how can i delete printer descriptions to reduce that long list in the printer dialogue?

• 10. Re: keeping the original name

genik wrote:

Also how can i delete printer descriptions to reduce that long list in the printer dialogue?

You should not use a printer at all to create a PDF, use Export.

PPDs can be ledeted on OS level.

• 11. Re: keeping the original name
                              Migintosh Level 4

genik wrote:

It's usually better to ask a new question in a fresh thread, rather than to ask something unrelated to the topic of an existing thread. Sorry that I can't answer it myself, but I'd go with the new thread.

Also, I don't want to speak for Bob, but I think his point is that there will always be some compatibility issues when sharing files between versions. Just being able to open an .inx file doesn't mean that the file will appear as it did in the newer version. Sometimes you may not see a difference, but if the text engine has changed in the upgrade, your text might reflow. That's an easy thing to catch in a small document, but you really want to avoid things that you have to look for that have changed, especially if someone hasn't changed them on purpose. And if the other team is in another location or time zone, you might find that you are asked to work on a file that someone forgot to export to .inx, and they can't be reached in enough time for you to get any work done.

You might go your whole life and never have a problem bouncing between versions, or not, but it's something to be mindful of, and the reason many users recommend keeping everyone on the same version. If that means the CS3 users work with CS2, maybe that's worth considering.

My 2¢

• 12. Re: keeping the original name

genik wrote:

Ok, this is not a matter to dissagree on cause im already thankfull for your contribution, i just want to say that i would call it impossible only if CS3user couldnt save for CS2 (he can via inx file), dont you think?

The inx is not a save which is causing no problems. Bcksaving to INX will damage every new or different functionality in CS3 and will aso cause changes in the document. So it is not a useful workflow as you want it. Not possible.