10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 3:23 AM by Zaakzr

Pantone printing problems

Zaakzr

Hi

I have applied color Pantones (Solid coat) in my InDesign CC document. When i export it for print and print it, the pantones appear black and the rest of the document prints in the prescribed allocated colors. What could be the problem?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Pantone printing problems
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What expport settings are you using? How are you printing, and from what application?

• 2. Re: Pantone printing problems
            Zaakzr Level 1

Hi

Thank you for your response. I am using Adobe PDF Print export settings. Ink printing, Adobe InDesign CC.

• 3. Re: Pantone printing problems

WHICH particular Adobe PDF (Print) settings? Printing on what device? From what application are you printing this PDF?

• 4. Re: Pantone printing problems
                Zaakzr Level 1

Adobe PDF Preset: High Quality Print(Modified)

Standard:None

Compatibility: Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)

I apologize its a laser printer not ink

INEO 423

RBS Model B4230

I am printing from the Exported PDF although i dont think the printer is the problem because when it exports the areas that contain the pantones are black in the PDF (MAC)

• 5. Re: Pantone printing problems

It's very important to know if you are printing this PDF from Acrobat, Adobe Reader, or from some non-Adobe viewer like Mac Preview. Are the Pantone colors correct on the screen when you view the PDF file before you print?

• 6. Re: Pantone printing problems
                    Zaakzr Level 1

I was previously printing this from adobe reader. The pdf once exported showed the correct color pantones although it was prinitng black but now im using mac preview and when i export it , the pantones in the PDF are black and it prints black as well. In Indesign the color pantones are showing as per the prescribed colors im using Pantone C

• 7. Re: Pantone printing problems

Mac Preview is not a good PDF viewer and it has problems with any sort of "special" or complex PDF. You should be using Acrobat or Reader for viewing and printing PDF with spot color.

I'm a little confused though. I googled the Ineo 423, and the brochure says it's monochrome.....

Also, if the laser printer is really the intended output device, not just a proofer, you probably should not be using spot colors at all unless you are using the Ink Manger in ID or Acrobat to convert to process. The Pantone Color Bridge library would be more appropriate.

• 8. Re: Pantone printing problems
                        Zaakzr Level 1

Im designing this both for print and digital publishing. Its a 500 page catalogue for a welding company. i have tried changing the Spots to the CMYK figures but the company was unhappy with the result it appears lighter and a few shades off.

I will stop using Mac preview and use adobe reader instead. The laser priniter is not the intended output device i intend on printing this with a professional printing company. Today i will go there and print one page just to see if my pantones are prinitng correct i will also try using the pantone color bridge library.

Thank you for your time and replies

• 9. Re: Pantone printing problems

The only place you will get spot color output is on a printing press. If that is the destination for the print version, then you want to leave the spot colors as they are.

Otherwise, you may never get a good color match on any sort of digital printing equipment. Many spot colors are outside the range that can be printed with CMYK inks and toners.

• 10. Re: Pantone printing problems
                            Zaakzr Level 1

I will leave the spot colors as is and hope it prints correct at the press, before i die of a heartattack lol!!

It looks perfect on the i-pad app though

Thanks