7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 4:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu

Freeman Road Studios

I Just install PE12.  Tried with both 12 and 12.1, same results.  When i choose tools, add menu, i get the option to select one.  I right click it to download it, see the progress bar complete but get a whote rectangle where the menu used to be displayed and a cursor indicating waitng.  Then after trying to do anythign else, PE12 goes into not responding mode, then crashes eventually and closes.  Seems like there has to be something obvious I'm missing.  Tried new install, update to 12.1, download all, same or similar results.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

FRS

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a lot of things.

When you right-click and select the download option, are you selecting the Download All option? If so, this will download EVERY menu template from Adobe to your computer -- which coudl take an hour or more.

Rather than right-clicking, just click to select the menu template. This will download only this Movie Menu template -- a process that, assuming you've got a good internet connection, should take about 10-15 seconds.

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu
            Freeman Road Studios Level 1

Thanks Steve, no.  This was a single menu.  I watched it complete the download.  And after install, the pan and zoom, first menu already behaved like this as well.  I did try download all and let it run overnight to download the 2.x GB of data but on a previous installation.  Same results but for every menu template.  Picture gone, white box showing where the menu template should be and waiting cursor appears when you hover over it.  Cannot select it without freezing the program.  (Yes I have a good internet connection too.)

This was on a brand new project with no resources as well.  Trying to narrow down the culprit.  No carry over old project, no misbehaved assets etc.  (Fails the same with video assests and menu markers too.)

Other thoughts?

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu
              A.T. Romano Level 7

FRS

For now I am assuming that you are on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer.

1. Right click the Premiere Elements 12 icon on the computer desktop and then select Run As Administrator, even assuming that you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges...are you? Then what happens to the problem? Still there?

2. Slideshow/Pan and Zoom installs with the program and is not part of what is considered Content Download.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downloads.html

So, this appears to be more than a "Content Download" matter.

3. Determine if all the Disc Menus files can be found on the computer hard drive. See blog post link above for paths to. Did you install the program to the default location or create a new location?

4. If problem still there and program install location choice is not the issue, try deleting the Premiere Elements 12 Settings File.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

5. If problem still there.... then we are looking at deactivate, uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned Off.

What is your antivirus program. If McAfee, then disable it before any of this troubleshooting to determine if it is the problem or contributing to it.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu

7.0 Windows 64 bit.  Yes, user has admin priv.  Nortons 2014 Antivirus.  No, did not install in default, have a small SSD drive for boot disk and raid array for data and programs.  Went to E:.  Scratch disks all configured to G:  Data still apparently goes to c:\program files...

Ran as administrator and it appears to work.  I was able to see and select a menu and hit continue to work with it and it didnt lock.  Any explaination for the confusion perhaps?  Will have to test more but this may have done it.

Had many older versions on PE and have a few projects unfinished with custom menus.  Thought I saw something on how to copy them over from older PE installs?  I remember making custom menu templates in PSE4 then using them in PE4 long ago.

Thank you for the quick help folks (ATR, Steve)!  Was getting concerned there knowing how buggy older versions on elements were.

FRS

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

FRS

Great news. Are you confirming that the Run As Administrator did work for you even though you were running Premiere Elements under a User Account with Adminitrative Privileges?

I had a similar troubleshooting with another user where that Run As Administrator was the key to solving that similar issue.

Also, note, when you do not install the program to its suggested default location, some of its other components nonetheless may default to locations beyond your control.

If possible, please finish older projects in the version in which they were created. I am dusting off my memories on this one, lots of dust, but my recollection is that there was a special Photoshop Elements 4 Premiere elements 2 Combo only feature regarding creating DVD templates. Gone after that.

Buggy is translating into features supported or not support going from old to new examples....yes tga files, earlier, not later...menus in earlier versions not in later versions...and so on...

Ripping custom menus from an older version project into a new project in a later version is an interesting idea. Face value, I would say no can do, but I have an idea - major dud or something else?

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu

You are correct PE4 was the last version that allowed direct supported custom menu templated created in Photoshop Elements.  If its still allowed but not supported I wouldnt know (I think that was the case with ver 7) but I see where you are going.  I'll have to look at my memu templates and see what is still customizable in the the new version.  Seems there are some things and maybe I can recreate my own menus using the new tools.

Still acting as flakey as I remember regarding crashing and rebooting and I need to get a handle on that organizer thing so it doesnt mess with my libraries or chew up clock cycles.  But, I guess I knew what I was getting into upgrading this thing.

Typically, when you have to run as administer, you dont have permission to certain directories. I have to see if I can figure them out and straighten out permissions so I dont have to give give complete access to my system to adobe. lol  Yes, I very well understand i have no control over where program data (as opposed to user data) is stored and it will do what it will do.  I just want to keep that partition as small as possible.

So far so good.  Thanks both of you guys again.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 12 locks up when downloading disk menu
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

FRS

Just in case notes...

It was specifically Photoshop Elements 4 that combo'd with Premiere Elements 2 at the time that had the Menu Creation feature. Typically if you want to create menus from scratch, you use Photoshop CS or higher. If you want to customize an Adobe design (more than from within the program), then you edit the .psd for the menu in Photoshop Elements (if you can find a version that opens Layer Sets) or Photoshop CS or higher.

When and if you want to go in that direction, I will post reams of how to information in the way of links to my blog posts and forum threads/post on the matter. One of my favorite topics.

ATR