4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 10:05 AM by A.T. Romano

E-mailed File "The project is not compatible with the current version of Premiere Elements"

wadeen Level 1

I have Version 12 on a PC.

My friend has Version 12 on a MAC.

E-mailed him a file.

He could not open, and a message box popped up:   "The project is not compatible with the current version of Premiere Elements".

Could someone kindly asssit, this does not make sense as to why it is not opening, since both computers are using the same version.

Thank you,

Ben

bens411@gmail.com

• 1. Re: E-mailed File "The project is not compatible with the current version of Premiere Elements"
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Unfortunately, the .PREL (Project) files are not X-platform compatible - a Mac .PREL will only Open on a Mac with PrE, and a PC .PREL will only Open on a PC with PrE.

Now, one could Share the Timeline to say an AVCHD (w/H.264 CODEC) from one platform, and then Import that file onto the other platform for additional editing. Going the DI (Digital Intermediate) route is about all that is possible.

Sorry for the bad news.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: E-mailed File "The project is not compatible with the current version of Premiere Elements"
            wadeen Level 1

Thank you Hunt.

1.  Is a "Timeline" (that you mentioned) the same thing as a file with the extension .prel?     i want to make sure I understand. When trying to create a new project, I selected video that I then began editing and saved.  The way it looks in my screen is there is like a horizontal strop of film (with little squares showing an image) from the left side of my screen to the right).  is this file the Timeline that you are referring to?

2.  If I share the "Timeline" to AVCHD (as you suggested), and then e-mail that file or put it in a shared dropbox folder, will my friend (using a MAC) be able to open it and then make edits to it?

3.  If my friend can edit this (using a MAC), can he then share it to me for me to view and edit?    If yes, how would he do that?

Thank you kindly in advance,

Ben

bens411@gmail.com

• 3. Re: E-mailed File "The project is not compatible with the current version of Premiere Elements"
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is a Project File? Read #10 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1012847

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=30

Your project files contains the commands you have given Premiere Elements about what to do TO your video file

A video file (that is supported on both platforms) may be shared between Windows and Mac

Sort of like saying the key to your Ford will not work in a Chevy, but the gas from the pump will work in both

• 4. Re: E-mailed File "The project is not compatible with the current version of Premiere Elements"
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ben

As said, you cannot open a Premiere Elements 12 Windows project file (named project.prel) in Premiere Elements 12 Mac. And vice versa.

Details

Given that your source is imported into a Premiere Elements 12 Windows project and placed on its Timeline for edit. That Timeline content cannot get out of the program without export. Export choices are found in the Publish+Share section of the program.

In your case, you want to take the Timeline content of Premiere Elements 12 Windows and export it to a format with which Premiere Elements 12 Mac supports (look at .mov or .mp4). In this regard, in Premiere Elements 12 Windows look at Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and one of its .mp4 presets or Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and one of its .mov presets (suggested H.264 video codec).

Those exports will be saved to the computer hard drive of the Windows computer. Then email the .mov or .mp4 file (beforehand, check the

email carrier's specification for that). Depending on the circumstances, you could transfer the file to a USB Flash Drive for the sharing.

Remember, sharing the .mov and .mp4 involves "whole" video. Depending on the edits, the video may need to be cut by the receipent. You are not dealing with the project file. The story would be different if this sharing and editing is done from Premiere Elements Windows to Premiere Elements Windows. And, if that were the case, then you would have to assure that the source media of the project traveled with the project file. (See Project Archiver feature of the program.)

That is a rough sketch of the situation. I can fine tune the details further if necessary.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR