10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 7:41 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12

luckyleo

Can a 27 minute video on a cd be edited in  Adobe Premiere Elements 12 at one time (eg, color correct, lighting, etc.) or must it be done a frame at a time?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

luckyleo

Do you presently have Premiere Elements 12? And, on what computer operating system is it (or will it be) running?

Provided the properties of your source media have a matching project preset, you can do frame by frame editing. But, you do not have to do frame by frame editing.

What are the properties of this 27 minute video that is on a CD? Do you mean DVD instead of CD? Nonetheless, unprotected content?

We would need to know

VIdeo Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera involved and the file extension that you can see would be a quick start.

Once you get the video accepted into the project, there are opportunities for numerous edits, including color correction, lighting,etc. How well these tools will work for your specific video is something that you need to find by using the program. Try it if you already have the program. Or, download and install the program to determine if the program meets your video editing goals as well as being compatible with your computer operating system.

Please review and consider and then let us know how we can be of assistance regarding clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12
            luckyleo Level 1

Thanks so much for your prompt response.  I do have trial copy of PE 12. I am using it on a PC running Windows 7. I do not want to do frame by frame editing; I’d rather  send it out to a service. I misspoke. It is a dvd of my daughter’s wedding but not taken by me but someone with a video camera (do not know what type).  Unprotected content. I have no idea of the parameters you need to know. Can you suggest a service I can send it to? Thanks for your help.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If that is a MOVIE DVD and not a DATA DVD, read...

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon -http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

If that is a DATA DVD, how to find out what kind of video you have

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help -has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

luckyleo

Thanks for the reply.

Since you have the Premiere Elements 12 tryout, consider doing the task yourself if we can successfully share the details in the forum threads/posts format.

1. We need to know what you have on that disc. The quickest way is for you to insert that DVD disc into the computer DVD burner tray, to go to Computer, and to explore the disc, and then to tell us what you find.

a. If someone has sent you file(s) (such as .mov, .mp4, or .avi) where they are using the DVD disc for storage purposes (othewise known as datadisc)

or

b. If you find a VIDEO_TS Folder on the DVD disc, maybe along with an OpenDVD Folder or AUDIO_TS Folder. It is the VIDEO_TS Folder that contains the video files (.VOBs) that we seek for your Premiere Elements import, edit, and export.

2. If you have the VIDEO_TS Folder, it should be easy going in Premiere Elements ripping the VOBs from the DVD-VIDEO format using Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/VIdeo Importer. In Premiere Elements, you should be able to do just fine using editing the video files (VOBs) and not have to convert them into anything as suggested in Premiere Pro, not Premiere Elements, article.

Major ingredients to the plan include

a. Premiere Elements recognize your burner.

b. Premiere Elements and burner recognizing the disc that you use for the export burn to.

I have not dealt with professional groups who process videos, so I cannot offer a suggestion in that regard other than for you to check with local groups and their reputations and prices.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed. We are glad for the opportunity to be of further assistance if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12
                  luckyleo Level 1

Only Audio and Video files. Video-TS include BUP, VOB and IFO files. I do know how to download video and view the film strps. My question is can I do an edit of the entire video, all at once? Thanks again.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

luckyleo

My question is can I do an edit of the entire video, all at once?

Each video file can have a max file size of 0.99 GB. So in answer to your question, Yes, but I no not think that you want to do that "all at once". Please read on to see what I mean...

All we want on your DVD disc are the video files in the VIDEO_TS Folder on that DVD disc. As an example, I had a 1 hour DVD-VIDEO widescreen and wanted to rip the video files from it. The video files that I wanted and that I found in the VIDEO_TS Folder are named

VTS_01_1.VOB, file size 0.99 GB

VTS_01_2.VOB, file size 0.99 GB

VTS_01_3.VOB, file size 0.99 GB

VTS_01_4.VOB, file size 558 MB

The entire movie was distributed over those 4 files....when the first reaches 0.99 GB, then the second is generated for the next 0.99 GB and so on.

So we put the DVD in the DVD burner tray, open Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, set the project preset manually to NTSC DV Widescreen, and then use Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer to get those 4 VOBs into Video Importer and from there into the project's Project Assets and Timeline. After selecting all 4 VOBs and selecting Add to Timeline and then Get Media in the Video Importer, there can be a long wait for the 4 to arrive in Premiere Elements Projects Assets and Timeline. So one at a time approach merits your consideration coupled with the approach for compiling and organizing the total as described in the following

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

(applied to version 12 as well as version 11).

Note: In some instances, the video files can be found in the series

VTS_02_1.VOB

VTS_02_2.VOB

and so on

So we would need to look on your DVD disc for the specifics in this regard.

Also, we would need to determine if your source files are standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 so that we can set manually the correct project preset to match the properties of the source.

We do need to determine if your computer resources can handle the task...if Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, should be OK.

Lots of details. But, when step by step, not so bad after a first mini run through.

Please review and consider and then we can decide on project strategy.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12
                      luckyleo Level 1

Thanks for all your help. This is somewhat beyond me. I'll try the 

professional route. Thanks again.

In a message dated 4/2/2014 11:44:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, 

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Re:  Premiere Elements 12

created by  A.T. Romano (http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano)  in 

Premiere Elements - View the full  discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6265604#6265604)

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

luckyleo

Thanks for the reply.

Please let us know the outcome when you get the chance.

Do not under estimate what you can do. If you decide you want to give what I described a try, I would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance until you get the project done. We could go step by step at whatever pace you select, breaking up the how to into small portions at a time.

Best wishes moving forward.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12
                          KunieVic

Premiere Elements can edit VOB files, if you use the DVD/Hard Drive project preset. You can then output it in a variety of web-friendly formats, including WMVs and MOVs. If it not works for you, then you can change the suffix .vob into .mpg so that VOB can be supported by Premiere Elements.Or you can get a tool like Handbrake,Brorsoft to deal with your videos into a friendly format that AE can support well.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

KunieVic

Are you and Yoda1989 the same person?

This morning I am finding essentially the same posts added to older threads related to DVD video files. Both of you are calling "DVD/Hard Drive" a project preset which it is not. There is an Add Media choice in many versions called DVD camera or computer drive.

Please see my reply to Yoda1989 at the end of the old thread that Yoda1989 opted to post your VOB files message.

Importing VOB Files

As I mentioned to Yoda1989, if you have Premiere Elements and are having a problem with its workflows, please do not hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification.

ATR