6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 12:32 AM by station_two

Scratch Disk!!!!!

carolinejmorris

Can someone please tell me why my scratch disk is supposedly full! I've had my mac 3 months and apparently have no room! I can't delete certain files for some reason! I can't open any PS file or move anything! I have a presentation at 9am to an external client! Please help me......I'm having a mental breakdown after my 12 hour day!

• 1. Re: Scratch Disk!!!!!
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Hi Caroline.  How is Scratch set in Preferences > Performance?  In fact, what are your other settings in that panel?

Is this a Mac Book or desktop model?  How many drives does it have?

Have a look at this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1224354

• 2. Re: Scratch Disk!!!!!
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop can eat up a lot of disk space writing its temp scratch files.  Photoshop does it own management of the resources it uses. It does not give back resource till you close down. Photoshop is also resource hungry and will allocate lots of RAM and Disk space to use.  Photshop also seem to use  the first scratch disk you give it till its full before using scratch space on other disk.  This I find scary at time because for good performance the first disk I set is my SSD boot disk.  I keep around 120GB free space on the disk.  I wish I could set a 100GB limit on Photoshop scratch space on my SSD but Adobe does not provide an option like that.  I have seen Photoshop fill the SSD when working on a small document that had a many many layers. That is very scary for on a widows system there need to be free space on the boot disk.  For most application write user data to the boot device. If there is none windows can turn into a slug..   Mac should have some sort of disk cleaner that will help you remove old temp files to free up space. If Photoshop failing to delet its scratch files you need to clean up you disk.

• 3. Re: Scratch Disk!!!!!
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

JJMack wrote:

I wish I could set a 100GB limit on Photoshop scratch space on my SSD but Adobe does not provide an option like that.  I have seen Photoshop fill the SSD when working on a small document that had a many many layers. That is very scary for on a widows system there need to be free space on the boot disk. 

Goodness!  That sounds so sensible and good an idea, I wonder why they don't?  In these days of multipe drive systems, it would make a lot of sense.

And I'll add a me too to the unexpectedly large size of scratch files.  Today I have 1.5Gb reserved, but all I have open is a tiny document with a single white layer.  I have seen 200Gb reserved with just a few smallish projects running.

• 4. Re: Scratch Disk!!!!!
                Noel Carboni Level 8

JJMack wrote:

I have seen Photoshop fill the SSD when working on a small document that had a many many layers. That is very scary for on a widows system there need to be free space on the boot disk.

The solution is simple, JJ.  Buy more SSD space.  A 2 TB RAID array works out to be good for the boot volume.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Scratch Disk!!!!!
                  Level 5

Caroline,

The rule of thumb I follow to figure out scratch space says to figure on 50 to 100 times the size of your largest file ever multiplied by the number of files you have open.  I have seen the scratch file exceed 800 GB once, an admittedly rare occurrence, but it often exceeds 200 GB when stitching large panoramas and the like.

As an example—and stressing that I'm aware that others have even more scratch space than I do—I keep two dedicated, physically separate hard drives as my primary and secondary Photoshop scratch disks and a lot of GB free on my boot drive for the OS.  I also have 16 GB of RAM installed.

Additionally, if you only have a single HD, i.e. your boot drive, you'd need it to be large enough to accommodate both the swap files of the OS as well as Photoshop's scratch.

• 6. Re: Scratch Disk!!!!!
                    Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

…Buy more SSD space.  A 2 TB RAID array works out to be good for the boot volume…

I would certainly not argue with that, Noel.