13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 5:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1

Michael Stehly Level 1

On my Timeline I have four individual AVCHD video clips.  I placed a Scene Marker at the beginning of each clip.  I then chose a Menu Theme and burned a DVD.  When I inserted the DVD the Main Menu appears.  It has two options:  "Play Movie" and "Scene Selection".  In the Scene Selection Menu I can select which video I want to play.  After one  video plays, however, the rest of them play.  I want it to go back to the Scene Menu so I can select another video.

• 1. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

With the menus described as is, you need to wait for the movie to play out to the last scene (movie) when it will revert back to the Main Menu where you select Main Menu's Scene Selection again, followed by a choice of another scene (movie).

Labored remedies include

a. stopping the playback and forcing going back to the main menu for another selection

b. some combination of stop rewind and fast forward with the Remote.

In your case of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, consider

Timeline Setup

Scene Marker at the start of the first movie, Stop Marker at the end of the first movie

few frames gap

Scene Marker at the start of the second movie, Stop Marker at the end of the second movie

few frames gap

and so on until you get to the last movie in the series, then

Scene Marker at the start of the last movie, NO stop marker at the end of the last movie

In this scenario, the Play All of the Main Menu becomes meaningles and the Main Menu's Scene Selection takes you to the page to make your movie choice.

After each movie, the viewer will be returned to the Main Menu to repeat the selection procedure. There is not return to the Scene Selection page after the selected movie is played back.

Please review and consider and then let me know if any questions or clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
            Michael Stehly Level 1

Your information was very helpful.  Hopefully, future updates will allow the program to make it possible to return to the Scene Selection page. 

• 3. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

Thanks for the reply. Glad that the information was useful.

The disc menu situation for Premiere Elements has remained the same from version to version for a long time. It would be unexpected to find fundamental changes in it any time soon.  But, we are not Adobe, so cannot say never.

There is an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form that exists for letting Adobe know what you are looking for in features. You could investigate that. But, menus have been as is for a long time, especially the Blu-ray disc playback and stop markers issue.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=12

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions on the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                michib53

I am having trouble with disc menu "play all"

I have gotten each scene to play, but in this latest version (i've made several tries) the play all button will not work)

I put space between all stop markers and scene markers

no stop at the end

I'm about 80 hours into this 40 minute project

• 5. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

michi53

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12.1 running? I ask that in case we get to discuss any program/computer specific topics.

In this case, the answer is the same whatever the version on whatever computer operating system...once you use stop markers in the DVD-VIDEO on DVD, the play all loses its play all attributes.

This is a non issue for AVCHD on DVD disc and Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc since Premiere Elements AVCHD on DVD or the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc since stop markers are not recognized by the players.

I devised the following workaround for the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc Play All situation in the disc menu main menu.

The solution to the issue described.....is to have the Main Menu's Bonus Button become the Play All Button, get rid of the original main menu Play All Button, and have a duplicate of the Timeline content at the end of the major presentation become the "Bonus item" which is summoned by the Play All Button of the Main Menu.

The solution to the issue described in ISSUE is to have the Main Menu's Bonus Button become the Play All Button, get rid of the original main menu Play All Button, and have a duplicate of the Timeline content at the end of the major presentation become the "Bonus item" which is summoned by the Play All Button of the Main Menu.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: DVD Menu Navigation/Play All Loss

Depends on space consideration as detailed in article.

Please review and consider. I have not seen alternatives.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                    michib53 Level 1

Thank you so much for your answer... On Super Bowl Sunday no less!

I'm not tech savvy... So I'm not sure what the "bonus button" is

But I am understanding that I must create 2 completely separate versions of my content... One with no stop markers ( the one I'm going to labels "play all" and one WITH stop markers which I've already created as "Scene Selection"

I'm not sure how or where the "bonus Button" is

I'm reading about Menus and I did read about creating additional menu buttons

So do I understand that I create another movie without stop markers and create a button for it?

I'm not sure exactly where on the timeline I would place this extra movie

Thank you!

Sent from Michi's iPhone

• 7. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                      michib53 Level 1

Oh

Ok

Wait- I add a Main Menu marker (as opposed to a scene marker) at the end and name it "play all"? Can I just copy and paste the entire timeline (minus stop markers) to add at the end or do I need to create new timeline?

Sent from Michi's iPhone

• 8. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                        michib53 Level 1

Sorry to bug you-

I have found your blog on troubleshooting PE12

I think I know what I'm doing now- my question now is: do I put a stop button at the end of my last item in scene selections? I know you do not put a stop at the end ( found out the hard way) of the video.... But in this case would I need that?

Thank you so much!

Sent from Michi's iPhone

• 9. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

michi

Thanks for the follow up.

In the scheme described in the blog post, each of the 3 original videos has a scene marker at its beginning and a stop marker at its end. That stop marker at the end of third video should not create issues whereas a stop marker at the end of the last Timeline content (Bonus Timeline content) would. So not stop marker at the end of the "Bonus" which has become your Play All as per the details given.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

michib

Referring to your post 7 question

Wait- I add a Main Menu marker (as opposed to a scene marker) at the end and name it "play all"? Can I just copy and paste the entire timeline (minus stop markers) to add at the end or do I need to create new timeline?

Places on the Timeline with the main menu marker only appear on the Main Menu page.

and

Places on the Timeline with the scene marker only appear on the Scene Selection page.

The duplicated content needs to have a main menu marker at the beginning of that content because it will be tracing back to the main menu and its bonus button which we are going to convert into our play movie button (original play movie button of the main menu is deleted).

You can copy and paste the original Timeline content to the portion of the Timeline for the "Bonus", but keep in mind...

a. those Timeline menu markers are not copied in that copy/paste

b. when you copy the original components there will be a few frames between each...after pasting to the "bonus" location on the Timeline, you would need

to close those gaps (delete and close gaps)....this bonus is represented as a side by side of the components of the original. You can use scene

markers in the "bonus", but consider that may get confusing since scenes from the original and the "bonus" will then appear on the same scene selection

page. A group of scenes cannot each have its own scene selection page.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                              michib53 Level 1

I have done all of the above

I'm not sure whether or not to add a stop marker at the end of the scene selections or not...

I have already rendered and the DVD is burning so I will see if there are problems. I did add the stop marker after the last scene- I thought it might continue on into the play all section.

If you could respond to the question regarding the stop marker, I will know why the DVD fails (if it does).

Thank you

Sent from Michi's iPhone

• 12. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                                michib53 Level 1

I have tried 10 different burn attempts using your workaround. Several attempts to burn to DVD and To DVD folder. They all encoded then the burn freezes at 4% each time and Adobe stops working.

I am using Windows 8.1 on a Dell Inspirion 8 gB Ram 1T storage i can't remember if it's i5 or i7

But it's a new computer.

I successfully burned a DVD with all scenes cable of being accessed but the full movie did not work.

Any ideas?

Sent from Michi's iPhone

• 13. Re: Scene Menu in Premiere Elements 12.1
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

michi

Thanks for the replies.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1

Just to make sure that we are together on the details

1. Are the burn failures coming only when you include menus which try to get a menu that has a workaround play movie?

Can you burn to disc with menu if you use a non specialized menu?

2. What do you mean by

I successfully burned a DVD with all scenes cable of being accessed but the full movie did not work.

3. Do you have stop markers placed as indicated and have you left a gap of only a few frames between segments so that the menu markers are not on top of one another?

When the burn to disc or folder does not work, what do you see in the burn dialog's Quality area for Space Required and Bitrate when you have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

ATR