7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 9:21 PM by A.T. Romano

PRE 11 not working well on Mac

Paul787 Level 3

Hi, I used to use a much earlier version of PRE on a Windows based computer but am now using a Mac with an i5 processor. All my files are DV-AVI Type 2 but PRE 11 does not want to play them smoothly (if at all) on the timeline. And the program consistently locks up. I have installed the newest PRE update which hasn't helped. I've tried rendering the timeline, and though it goes through the whole process, I don't get the green rendered line above the videos.

Any suggestions to help me get back on track after a long absence from using PRE?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: PRE 11 not working well on Mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Look at the Project Settings under the program's Edit menu and ensure that the clips you're adding to your project are setting up the project for standard definition DV.

This DV, by the way, is from a miniDV camcorder, captured over Firewire, right?

When you add the video to your timeline in Expert view, do you see a yellow orange line along the top of the timeline above your clips?

If this is standard miniDV footage and your project is properly set up, your machine should edit it without so much as a hiccup.

• 2. Re: PRE 11 not working well on Mac
            Paul787 Level 3

Hi Steve, the project settings are for DV NTSC.  Placing approx. 20 minutes of video on the timeline, only about 1/3 have a yellow orange line above them. After rendering, some of the lines turn green and some remain yellow orange, but the rest of the videos, all captured the same way, have no colored line at all above them. These video files were originally analog tapes converted to DV-AVI using an ADS Pyro over Firewire. They were originally captured on a Windows machine to an external drive which I have now attached to my Mac.

• 3. Re: PRE 11 not working well on Mac
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If this is all DV footage, you should not see a yellow orange line above any of the clips on your timeline until you add a fade or an effect to them.

So if you're seeing a yellow orange line over some but not others, then they were not all captured at the same specs.

Is that really the case?

• 4. Re: PRE 11 not working well on Mac
                Paul787 Level 3

It *should* all be captured at the same specs, but as I captured these files over a year ago and haven't worked with PRE since then, I think I'm going to recapture the video again just to be sure I'm doing everything correctly. I'll come back to the forum again at that point if I continue to have any difficulties.

• 5. Re: PRE 11 not working well on Mac
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul787

Is your DV data standard 4:3 or 16:9? When you recapture at a later date, will it be capture fireware into Premiere Elements Windows or Premiere Elements Mac? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Mac computer which has Premiere Elements installed?

If you have your DV AVI in Project Assets, right click its thumbnail there, and select Properties, what does Properties show for the Pixel Aspect Ratio?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PRE 11 not working well on Mac
                    Paul787 Level 3

Hi A.T..

My DV data is 4:3 and will be recaptured via Firewire into PRE 11 Mac. QT Player version 10.2 and pixel aspect ratio is .9091.

• 7. Re: PRE 11 not working well on Mac
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks for the information.

It will be interesting to learn if you have better results with the DV.mov on Mac than you did with the DV.avi from the Windows capture.

ATR