29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2007 1:36 PM by JSAP

Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks

katir
      Adobe abandoned ImageReady (bad decision for many, many users) and many of us are left stranded. After installing and uninstalling the InDesign CS3 Beta, it completely trashed my CS2 suite and I am no longer able to use Image Ready to process photos. Someone said to get Fireworks, which i did, but the tool set is very sad, in terms of efficiency.

i need to record the following to a droplet so I can drag and drop images onto a droplet... this was very easy in ImageReady. Photoshop also does not have certain key features... So, I'm trying Fireworks... I want to :

1) resize the photo to constrain to widthonly of 360 pixel width (any height is fine)
      2) run auto levels
      3) run unsharp mask to precise parameters, 70, radius 0.4, 0 threshold
      4) then save for web jpeg quality 40%, file name lower case
      5) overwrite existing file without asking me and DO NOT keep an original around

How do I set this up in Fireworks? Does it do droplets (Mac...)

this was a simple thing in ImageReady. Record, do your steps, sto recording, set a few options for a droplet and
      after that all you ever need to do is drop files on the icon of the droplet.
        • 1. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
          Level 7
          katir wrote:

> i need to record the following to a droplet so I can drag and drop images onto
          > a droplet... this was very easy in ImageReady. Photoshop also does not have
          > certain key features... So, I'm trying Fireworks... I want to :
          >
          > 1) resize the photo to constrain to widthonly of 360 pixel width (any height
          > is fine)
          > 2) run auto levels
          > 3) run unsharp mask to precise parameters, 70, radius 0.4, 0 threshold
          > 4) then save for web jpeg quality 40%, file name lower case
          > 5) overwrite existing file without asking me and DO NOT keep an original
          > around
          >
          > How do I set this up in Fireworks? Does it do droplets (Mac...)
          >
          > this was a simple thing in ImageReady. Record, do your steps, sto recording,
          > set a few options for a droplet and
          > after that all you ever need to do is drop files on the icon of the droplet.

With the image selected, choose Modify > Transform > Numeric Transform >
          Choose the Resize option and enter a width of 360.

Click on the Apply Live Filter button [+] in the property inspector and
          choose Adjust Color > Auto Levels.

Open the Live Filter menu again and choose Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. Apply
          your settings.

Open the Optimize panel and select JPEG format. Apply the compression
          amount you desire. Caution: since Image Ready and Fireworks have
          different rendering engines, 40% in both programs will not give you the
          same result. You'll have to test to get the result you want.

Choose File > Export. When prompted, allow the original image to be
          overwritten.

DO NOT CLOSE THE DOCUMENT WINDOW YET.

Open the History panel, press shift, and select the steps you have just
          performed.

Open the history panel menu by clicking on the wavy line icon (menu
          expander) at the top right of the panel and select Save as Command.

Give the command a name you'll remember its function by.

You will be able to access your new command via the Fireworks Commands
          menu and apply it to other images in one click. It will also be
          available for batch processing.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
            Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
            When I saw how easy this was I could not believe they did not have this even remotely as put together as they have in FW.

Someone on the Photoshop forum could not even find anything related to batch processing in FW when it is a clear as day and what do becomes clear after a couple of tries and the features start to become even clearer each time you use the batch.

I think many of the Image Ready users will find that they are free from difficulties presented by IR and will not be afraid to use FW for more than just a couple of specialized task.

And thanks Linda for describing how easy it is to make a command available for replay and batch use.

I love how I can take portrait and landscape images to the have the width of the landscape match the height of the portrait in one action.
            • 3. Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
              katir Level 1
              Doability is only part of the issue: true you can capture history in FW and save as script for future batch processing, but, can you save it as a droplet? put the droplet on the server and have 20 other staff people on the LAN make an alias of the droplet on their desktop and then drop photos on it? I don't think so, not unless you spent another 20 X $300.00 $6,000.00 (less if you get a edu or non-profit discount) !
              • 4. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                Level 7
                katir wrote:

> The point is being missed here: true you can capture history in FW and save as
                > script for future batch processing, but, can you save it as a droplet?

I have no idea what a "droplet" is, Katir. Perhaps someone else will
                step up to the plate here.

Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                • 5. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                  Level 7
                  katir;
                  Adobe could not help you restore your licensed cs2 suite after the beta
                  issue?
                  -Tom Unger

• 6. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                    Level 7
                    katir wrote:
                    > The point is being missed here: true you can capture history in FW and save as
                    > script for future batch processing, but, can you save it as a droplet? put the
                    > droplet on the server and have 20 other staff people on the LAN make an alias
                    > of the droplet on their desktop and then drop photos on it? I don't think so,
                    > not unless you spent another 20 X $300.00 $6,000.00 (less if you get a edu or
                    > non-profit discount) !
                    >

Kinda confused by this statement. Even with droplets, the user still
                    needs to have the software resident on their system, correct? So,
                    regardless of the app, it still means you have to have the software on
                    each system, whether that is Photoshop, Fireworks or ImageReady. The
                    cost is still there for each user to have the license.

The Custom Command that you is save in FW is an FW JavaScript file. It
                    can be emailed or shared with and used by any users who have FW running
                    on their systems. I'm on a PC so I can't make the command into an alias
                    At this time, you can't make the command work as an executable from the
                    desktop (maybe someone with better programming skills could) but, once
                    the command has been copied to the Commands directory in the FW
                    configuration folder, you can access it from Bridge by going to Tools >
                    Fireworks > Batch Process.

This will launch FW and the FW batch process window, where you can
                    select your images and then choose the command or commands you wish to
                    run on the selected images.

Does this help?

--
                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                    Extending Knowledge, Daily
                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                    ---
                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                    • 7. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                      katir Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

>Kinda confused by this statement. Even with droplets, the user still
                      needs to have the software resident on their system, correct? So,
                      regardless of the app, it still means you have to have the software on
                      each system, whether that is Photoshop, Fireworks or ImageReady. The
                      cost is still there for each user to have the license.

But Image Ready was bundled with CS, Fireworks is not....

quote:

Does this help?

Send a check for $6,000.000 for 20 seats of Fireworks... that would help? :-)

And, in response to Tom Unger... re restorein CS2 Suite... I have not tried yet.
                      but we've issued a shop wide request for others to try to leave CS2 installation
                      intact for now.

meanwhile this is all for good. I've been putting off writing my own program to drive image processing with Revolution and with *nix shell scripts with ImageMagick... so this whole business is triggering that R & D, which will be useful in the long run... we will have an open source solution no longer dependent on Adobe MM, or anyone...and free to boot...!

• 8. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                        Level 7
                        katir wrote:
                        >
                        quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                        >
                        >
                        > >Kinda confused by this statement. Even with droplets, the user still
                        > needs to have the software resident on their system, correct? So,
                        > regardless of the app, it still means you have to have the software on
                        > each system, whether that is Photoshop, Fireworks or ImageReady. The
                        > cost is still there for each user to have the license.

>
                        > But Image Ready was bundled with CS, Fireworks is not....
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        quote:

Does this help?
                        >
                        >

>
                        > Send a check for $6,000.000 for 20 seats of Fireworks... that would help? :-)
                        >
                        > And, in response to Tom Unger... re restorein CS2 Suite... I have not tried
                        > yet.
                        > but we've issued a shop wide request for others to try to leave CS2
                        > installation
                        > intact for now.
                        >
                        > meanwhile this is all for good. I've been putting off writing my own program
                        > to drive image processing with Revolution and with *nix shell scripts with
                        > ImageMagick... so this whole business is triggering that R & D, which will be
                        > useful in the long run... we will have an open source solution no longer
                        > dependent on Adobe MM, or anyone...and free to boot...!
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >

No need to be a smart ***. I was trying to offer constructive options.

If you bought the suite, you GOT Fireworks with it. There's your
                        bundle. And FW is way more than a slicing and batching program.

Happy developing.

--
                        ---
                        • 9. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                          Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
                          You have o ignore some of the comments made by Katir.

I am new to FireWorks and have always heard how much superior it is to ImageReady and I am very happy to that I purchased it. I have the Premium Design Suites so I had to purchase the license.

Katir does not understand nor appreciate the power of this application and what it can do.

You guys here would probably scratch your heads as to what is motivating Katir, when you hear this. In case you don' know Image Ready cannot open or process 16 bit files it cannot open files above a certain size, I think 30MB. So any files you have like that has to be batched as well before you can run process. Not only that you cannot select non consecutive files to add to a batch. Also for each file that is being processed the file has to actually open up in ImageReady and you actually have to watch the process take place. And then it has to be saved again.

Yes a nightmare and this is what katir is trying to hang onto.

BTW katir posted on the Photoshop forum this query as well stating that in FW they could not find anything that suggested Batch Processing. So I would not be concerned about their perceptions in this regard.

You guys gave them and me a great deal of insight.

Thanks.

Oh, yes you are going to get a lot of such people and it may not always sound rational. LOL!
                          • 10. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                            JSAP
                            Great instructions above for creating FW commands. The thing is I need to create a command that will essentially process png files into swf's. I tried the 'save as' > file.swf. Then saving that command for a batch process. However when trying to initiate that command in a batch process I am prompted to choose the file formate for each file in the batch. Can a work around be created?
                            • 11. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                              Level 7
                              What about something like this:

http://www.swftools.org/ wrote:
                              > Great instructions above for creating FW commands. The thing is I need to
                              > create a command that will essentially process png files into swf's. I tried
                              > the 'save as' > file.swf. Then saving that command for a batch process.
                              > However when trying to initiate that command in a batch process I am prompted
                              > to choose the file formate for each file in the batch. Can a work around be
                              > created?
                              >
                              • 12. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                Level 7
                                err...

http://www.swftools.org/

Alex Mariño wrote:
                                > What about something like this:
                                >
                                >
                                > http://www.swftools.org/ wrote:
                                >> Great instructions above for creating FW commands. The thing is I
                                >> need to create a command that will essentially process png files into
                                >> swf's. I tried the 'save as' > file.swf. Then saving that command
                                >> for a batch process. However when trying to initiate that command in
                                >> a batch process I am prompted to choose the file formate for each file
                                >> in the batch. Can a work around be created?
                                >>
                                • 13. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                  JSAP Level 1
                                  BigUp!!!

I have previously compiled the binary for the swftools before getting fireworks. Program is sweet. (Mathias Kramm is HOT as FIRE) thing is the png2swf conversion works however it doesn't compress the png into a smaller file size swf. I am working on that now...

This fireworks app is a whole other can of worms... I got an email response back from Linda (above - much love!) who is an EXPERT and still was unable to help develop a workaround for the batch exportation of png's to swf's. Daddy is going in circles here and needs someone to step up the plate and belt one out of the park for me.

Holla
                                  • 14. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                    JSAP Level 1
                                    I am responding to my own topic for anyone else that may need this info.

After chit chatting with the tech's at Adobe: There is no way to batch process PNG files to SWF (flash) files in Fireworks CS3. A swf file can be created from the File > Save As function. This does not help however if you are trying to convert 1000's of images. There is no longer any droplet creation technique for automating tasks. Commands can be created and saved in Fireworks that will serve the same as automated actions etc... but a droplet can not be created. -So people out there with similar tasks don't get discouraged there are some excellent instructions listed above.

But as a conclusion I really feel Adobe dropped the ball here. I only hope in future versions of Adobe CS applications that they will incorporate a batch process in Fireworks for png conversion to swf. ImageReady did this, and as we all now know IR has been discontinued and it's functions and assets have been absorbed by Photoshop or Fireworks

Perhaps Adobe will create a separate application that will exclusively handle batch processes? Hint Hint Nudge Nudge Adobe.

Respect
                                    • 15. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                      Level 7
                                      If IR did this previously, could not PS now create the droplet?

--
                                      ---

JSAP wrote:
                                      > I am responding to my own topic for anyone else that may need this info.
                                      >
                                      > After chit chatting with the tech's at Adobe: There is no way to batch process
                                      > PNG files to SWF (flash) files in Fireworks CS3. A swf file can be created from
                                      > the File > Save As function. This does not help however if you are trying to
                                      > convert 1000's of images. There is no longer any droplet creation technique for
                                      > automating tasks. Commands can be created and saved in Fireworks that will
                                      > serve the same as automated actions etc... but a droplet can not be created.
                                      > -So people out there with similar tasks don't get discouraged there are some
                                      > excellent instructions listed above.
                                      >
                                      > But as a conclusion I really feel Adobe dropped the ball here. I only hope in
                                      > future versions of Adobe CS applications that they will incorporate a batch
                                      > process in Fireworks for png conversion to swf. ImageReady did this, and as we
                                      > all now know IR has been discontinued and it's functions and assets have been
                                      > absorbed by Photoshop or Fireworks
                                      >
                                      > Perhaps Adobe will create a separate application that will exclusively handle
                                      > batch processes? Hint Hint Nudge Nudge Adobe.
                                      >
                                      > Respect
                                      >
                                      • 16. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                        katir Level 1
                                        unsubscribe
                                        • 17. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                          Level 7
                                          JSAP;
                                          After flash gained the ability to load various image formats run-time,
                                          there was little need for batch image to swf tools, however I do remember an
                                          extension for fireworks being available around the time fireworks/flash 4/5.
                                          I would be surprised if there were not still freeware/shareware utilities
                                          available for this purpose. There might also be a jsfl script to perform
                                          such a task in flash. -Tom Unger

• 18. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                            JSAP Level 1
                                            I can indeed and have created droplets with PS. It is different with Fireworks, you create commands that can be saved and ran in a batch process. No droplets can be created of those commands.

Ultimate goal for me being:
                                            Batch Process PNG images into SWF's
                                            • 19. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                              JSAP Level 1
                                              Thomas

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I need an SWF file made out of the original PNG file because the SWF files are what is to be uploaded onto our servers. Clearly SWF files are smaller than PNG's which is desirable given bandwidth and server space.

What would be really sweet is if I could compress a png file to approx the same file size as an swf. (40 kb or so). But after much experimentation with png compression software (pngcrush, pngout) I am unable to achieve this...

Hence my desire for a batch process of PNG to SWF. -Save I can't do that with CS3.

Thomas if you happen to have any links or resources that could help track down that extension you mentioned or know of where I can find that JavaScript file to help automate this task, I would be greatly appreciative.

-keepin' it real here in the 802.
                                              • 20. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                Level 7
                                                JSAP;
                                                I'll look around for the source as soon as I can get time (I believe I
                                                still have fw4 installed on an old win98 system here). I suspect you might
                                                get "as good" results by simply batching the pngs to jpeg, then loading
                                                those jpgs (instead of swfs)--have you considered that option? -Tom Unger

• 21. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Thomas Unger wrote:
                                                  > JSAP;
                                                  > I'll look around for the source as soon as I can get time (I believe I
                                                  > still have fw4 installed on an old win98 system here). I suspect you might
                                                  > get "as good" results by simply batching the pngs to jpeg, then loading
                                                  > those jpgs (instead of swfs)--have you considered that option? -Tom Unger
                                                  >
                                                  >

I was going to suggest that as well. If you haven't given it a whirl,
                                                  it's worth a try.

--
                                                  ---
                                                  • 22. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                    JSAP Level 1
                                                    Jim and Thomas,

Thanks for the suggestion. The reason that I need to use PNG's is because I need a 24 bit file with alpha transparency intact. SWF's will use a jpeg lesslossy compression and preserve the transparency all while compressing the file size down remarkably smaller than a jpg.

i have begun trying to get an opensource program called SWFTOOLS. Thing is I can not get the compression I want out of that program either. Ey YiYi!

Anyhow... Thanks so much for the suggestions if anything else comes to mind please don't hesitate to post!

JSAP
                                                    • 23. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                      Level 7
                                                      JSAP;
                                                      I had a chance to look and on an older system I do have a command called
                                                      "batch export as swf" available under my commands menu in both fireworks 4
                                                      and mx under win98se. I have not tested it in newer versions of fireworks,
                                                      or under winxp...
                                                      It allows you to specify the compression to be used (only one setting
                                                      per batch though). I was not able to locate the source online in a quick
                                                      search, but maybe you will have more luck. Not sure if that would be any
                                                      help... -Tom Unger

• 24. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                        JSAP Level 1
                                                        Adobe Community!!!

First off Thank You to all of you who responded to my topic posts. You all definitely helped fuel the fire with regards to this Batch Process PNG > SWF in Fireworks CS3. I am pleased to announce that I have gotten Fireworks to do the batch process, and it wasn't as hard as I originally thought it to be.

A command script was needed to batch the png files to swf's.

fw.exportSWF(null, fw.getDocumentDOM().filePathForSave);

That's it! -Simply write that code in a new document save it as ToSWF.jsf and place it:

user/Library/Application_Support/Adobe/Fireworks_CS3/Commands/

Now when you batch you can run this command from your command list and BOOM! Batch processing png's to SWF's BABY!!!!

Holla at your boy!

JSAP from the 802
                                                        • 25. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                                          here is that source for that script Thomas
                                                          http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=161027

I just tested this in CS3 and it works.

h
                                                          • 26. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                            Level 7
                                                            heathrowe;
                                                            Thank you for passing that along. Good to know it still works in cs3
                                                            too. -Tom Unger

• 27. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                              Level 7
                                                              JSAP;
                                                              Thanks for the follow-up info, and best of luck with the project. I long
                                                              ago switched to loading png images for much of my flash work where
                                                              transparency was required, but the image/swf loading is a good alternative
                                                              should smaller filesize be critical. -Tom Unger

• 28. Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                                TimAbad
                                                                JSAP of 802..... I love you.
                                                                • 29. Re: Record Actions to Droplet in FireWorks
                                                                  JSAP Level 1
                                                                  Dass wussup Timmy'

Ya' boy is still holding it down.