5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 8:52 AM by paul bloxham design

Revealing shapes with Luma Mattes and Masks

paul bloxham design Level 1

I want to animate some images so that they reveal in a similar way to the logo (around 00.01 - 00.02 in this animation:  https://vimeo.com/25450419)

I have tried analysing it to work out how the effect is achieved. Is it a mask with some kind of Luma Matte? I have followed some great Digital Tutors tutorials on painterly reveals that use Write-On effects and Luma Mattes with Mask Expansion that reveal the image from the centre out but that's not what I am looking for.

I'd really like to know how to achieve the textured, organic nature of the reveal from the top to the bottom as in this example.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Revealing shapes with Luma Mattes and Masks
          lornaimw Level 1

I don't have the answer, but would sure love to know it! Seen this effect before and really like it.

• 2. Re: Revealing shapes with Luma Mattes and Masks
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no magic in this example, no single technique, just a lot of time and a lot of hand work with some very basic techniques.

The texture comes through because of the blend mode. I'm guessing the artwork is set to multiply.

The reveals are everything from the stroke on a mask technique you use to reveal a signature, to circle wipes, to opacity changes, to cell animation where each part is hand drawn.

Here's where you are probably going wrong. Every single piece of artwork overlaid on the paper is most likely a separate layer. It would be nearly impossible to do this kind of thing on just two layers.

Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 7.29.16 AM.png

The YOKO ONO was revealed with an animated stroke, the second line of text with a feathered animated mask, and the portrait on the left could be animated mask, or both portraits could simply be cell animation where each frame is a separate layer. The portrait on the right definitely is cell animation because the face turns. The darker area where the hair overlaps and the paper texture coming through the ink gives away the use of the Multiply blend mode.

• 3. Re: Revealing shapes with Luma Mattes and Masks
              paul bloxham design Level 1

Hi Rick.

Thanks. Yes I realise that there are a lot of layers and I worked out how the text and the turning head are revealed. Realise there is no single effect.

But for the BBC 4 logo that is revealed after this part I was wondering how to achieve the ragged effect on the reveal  - it doesnt look like a straightforward mask path or swipe. I thought it was maybe a luma matte but now maybe it could have been done in a few stages - with a cell animation style technique. What do you think?

Appreciated, Paul

GRAB.jpg

• 4. Re: Revealing shapes with Luma Mattes and Masks
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's just an animated mask. You animate the shape, that's all. There may be something like roughen edges applied. It's all basic. You just experiment...