5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 5:00 AM by pieratt

Error while loading an XML document using a structured application

pieratt

Hi,

I try to load an XML document using a structured application defined in the default structapps.fm

My code is shown down, extracted from the FDK API code sample.

Problem, I always have the same message :

"Cannot find the file named e:\xml\AdobeFrameMaker10\file. Make sure that the file exists. "

Where "e:\xml\AdobeFrameMaker10\" is my install directory.

So I assume that frame try to find the structapps.fm file but does not find it.

What else can it be ?

Does anyone knowns how to achieve this simple task using extendScript ?

Thanks for any comments, Pierre

function openXMLFile(myLastFile) {

var filename = myLastFile.openDlg("Choose XML file ...", "*.xml", false);

if (filename != null) {

/* Get default open properties. Return if it can’t be allocated. */

var params = GetOpenDefaultParams();

/* Set properties to open an XML document*/

/*Specify XML as file type to open*/

var i = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FS_OpenAsType)

params[i].propVal.ival = Constants.FV_TYPE_XML;

/* Specify the XML application to be used when opening the document.*/

i = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FS_StructuredOpenApplication)

params[i].propVal.sval = "myApp";

i = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FS_FileIsOldVersion)

params[i].propVal.ival = Constants.FV_DoOK

i = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FS_FontNotFoundInDoc)

params[i].propVal.ival = Constants.FV_DoOK

i = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FS_FileIsInUse)

params[i].propVal.ival = Constants.FV_DoCancel

i = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FS_AlertUserAboutFailure)

params[i].propVal.ival = Constants.FV_DoCancel

/*The structapps.fm file containing the specified application must have

already been read. The default structapps.fm file is read when FrameMaker is

opened so this shouldn't be a problem if the application to be used is

listed in the structapps.fm file.*/

var retParm = new PropVals()

var fileObj = Open(filename, params, retParm);

return fileObj

} else {

return null;

}

}

• 1. Re: Error while loading an XML document using a structured application
          Russ Ward Level 4

Hi,

My guess is that the script can't find the file you want to open, not that it can't find structapps.fm. One question... what is this?

var filename = myLastFile.openDlg("Choose XML file ...", "*.xml", false);

Did you define this yourself? Have you tested 'filename' after the call?  Try something like this afterwards to see what FrameMaker is actually trying to open:

alert(filename);

Russ

• 2. Re: Error while loading an XML document using a structured application
            Russ Ward Level 4

Postscript... I realize now that openDlg() might be some core javascript method that I'm not familiar with, although I can't find much about it. In any case, see what filename equals afterwards. If it equals nothing, that is your problem. Consider using the FM ExtendScript method instead:

ChooseFile(title, directory, stuffVal, mode)

Russ

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Error while loading an XML document using a structured application
              frameexpert Level 4

Hi Pierre, The openDlg method returns an ExtendScript File object, not a string. When you do this:

var fileObj = Open(filename, params, retParm);

filename is a File object instead of a string. You need this instead to get the full path as a string:

var fileObj = Open(filename.fsName, params, retParm);

Or, Russ's method should work as well.

-Rick

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Error while loading an XML document using a structured application
                4everJang Level 3

Pierre,

Depending on the object "myLastFile", the method openDlg might not even exist (if the myLastFile object is not a File object, for instance). And I do not see any need for the myLastFile anyhow, as you are presenting a dialog to select a file to open. I recommend using the global ChooseFile( ) method instead. This will give you a filename as string in full path notation, or null when no file was selected in the dialog. I am not sure what your ExtendScript documentation states about the return value for ChooseFile, but if that differs from what I am telling you here, the documentation is wrong. So, if you replace the first lines of your code with the following it should work:

function openXMLFile ( ) {

var filename = ChooseFile ( "Choose XML file ...", "", "*.xml", Constants.FV_ChooseSelect );

While writing this, I see that Russ has already given you the same advice. Use the symbolic constant value I indicated to use the ChooseFile dialog to select a single file (it can also be used to select a directory or open a file - but you want to control the opening process yourself). Note that this method allows you to set a start directory for the dialog (second parameter). The ESTK autocompletion also gives you a fifth parameter "helplink" which is undocumented and can safely be ignored.

Good luck

Jang

• 5. Re: Error while loading an XML document using a structured application
                  pieratt Level 1

Hi Russ, Hi Rick, Hi Jang,

Thanks for taking time on my problem.

You were right : filename was a File object, not a string ... that was the sole problem.

Thanks for your answer, it now works.