15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2014 2:15 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)

clarkiek Level 1

I am super new to Premiere Elements and video in general so my question is probably a no brainer.  I am taking parts of a video and exporting them out so I can come back later and edit them.  When I try this the dimension is changing even though I'm checking 1080x720.  It's also losing quality.   I'm a wedding photographer (not videoagrapher) and don't know the correct terminology to use.  This is for a family wedding I did where I also experimented with video.  Basically what I would like to do is take the "raw" clips and grab the scenes I want, export them and bring them back at a future time and edit them without losing quality.

I have tried researching this and am so frustrated.  I just can't figure this out.  Thank you in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction. 

• 1. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

clarkiek

I am taking parts of a video and exporting them out so I can come back later and edit them.  When I try this the dimension is changing even though I'm checking 1080x720.

Export settings are being overlooked and/or misinterpreted by you. But, let us back up on the concept of what I think that you want to do.

You want to edit smaller portions of a larger project and then combine the edited smaller segments into one grand project.

a. In the first project, you or the program set a project preset to match the properties of your source media. You export that Timeline to a file whose format is consistent with all subsequent smaller segment projects and grand project. Typically, if SD project, the smaller segments edits are to DV AVI standard or widescreen and for HD project a .mts or .mp4 with properties consistent with the whole scheme of things. So, here we need to know

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

There is no project preset for 1080 x 720. There is one for 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. Is that what you are aiming for and the 1080 x 720 was a misprint?

More details would be needed in this regard as to what you are doing with this 1080 x 720 export that you have mentioned. If you are customizing an existing preset under the Export Settings area of the preset, it is quite possible that you are missing field or field(s) that need resetting.

Let us pause here for the moment, compare notes, and then decide what is next.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
            clarkiek Level 1

Thank you for your response!  Wow, I am totally lost.  Below is a screen shot of what I'm doing.  I'm not sure if you can click on it to make it bigger.  If not I can email it to you.   It seems to save fine with mpeg, but that's not like a raw file, correct?  Or can I?

Untitled-2 small.jpg

• 3. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
              clarkiek Level 1

In mpeg I used preset HDTV 1080p 29.97 high quality and it seems to save it just fine.  But can I bring these files back in and edit with non-destructive editing?

• 4. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

clarkiek

Thanks for the reply. From your screenshot, I cannot be sure if you are using Premiere Elements 12 or 11 (very similar) on Windows. So, for now I will assume Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

From your screenshot, it would appear that your source is

1920 x 1080 @ 23.976 progressive frames per second

So, you or the project should have set a project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

If the program was allowed to set the project preset based on the properties of the first video drag from Project Assets to Timeline, we can find out if it did it "right". Sometimes it does not. To do this...Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. And, if the Project Settings look like the following screenshot, the program set the project preset correctly:

24Project Settings.JPG

If you do not see the above, then new project whose project preset you set manually before you import your video.

To do that...

In Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

Change Settings to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR1080p24

Before exiting that area, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project" in the new project dialog.

Now the big question, what to export this TImeline to so that the export will be part of a family of exports to joint a grand project. If you know that all you want as the destination is NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then you can export each TImeline as a DV AVI Widescreen file (Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen. When all is said and done, all these DV AVI Widescreen files will be imported in a new Premiere Elements 12 NTSC DV Widescreen project for burn to with Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with NTSC _Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset.

Alternative way, if you had HD plans for this edited video on this Timeline, could be

a. Project Preset - set as before 1920 x 1080p24

b. Export as Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080 p24

c. Combine all the individual .mp4 into one grand project (project preset = 1920 x 1080p24) with a destination for

DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc

or

AVCHD format on DVD disc

or

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

You wrote

In mpeg I used preset HDTV 1080p 29.97 high quality and it seems to save it just fine.  But can I bring these files back in and edit with non-destructive editing?

This would be a Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG choice (MPEG2 HD.mpg 1920 x1080p29.97 versus what I described as an alternative Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD choice (AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080p24). The project preset for the grand project might be:

for 1920 x 1080p29.97, NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR1080p30 @ 29.97

for 1920 x 1080p24, NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR1080p24

Irrespective of the frame rate along the line, in the end, burn to presets are standarded at @29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Please review and consider. If I did not explain clearly enough, please let me know, and I will rewrite if need be.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                  clarkiek Level 1

Thank you again! 

I tried both of what you said and the MP4 version is 290 megabytes and the MPEG2 is 106 megabytes for the same clip.  So the photographer part of me says that the file that is larger would have more information.  So which version do I use without compromising the original file?   Haha so my question is how do I take the video out without losing information and compromising the quality of the video (so no compression).  Is this possible?

• 6. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I often need to create Digital Intermediate files (DI's), and when I require ultimate quality for the DI, will use one of the lossless CODEC's, such as UT, or Lagarith. The details and links appear in this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797?tstart=0

While those lossless CODEC's are high-quality, the file sizes are large. There is compression, but not much, and the result is visually lossless.

Good luck, and only critical testing and viewing will define what is best for you.

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                      clarkiek Level 1

I should add that I think I now understand correctly that AVI is the best quality for standard definition, and MPEG is the best I can do with high definition.  So there is no way to take a clip out without some kind of compression.  Is this correct? 

• 8. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

clarkiek

Thanks for the reply.

Once a clip is imported into Premiere Elements, the only way out for it is as an export which typically means re-encoding and compression.

However, under certain Computer/choices you will find under Video Codec choices for what is described as None or Uncompressed.

Please see

QuickTIme. Uncompressed YUK

AVI. Uncompressed UYVY as well as "None"

I have no information whether or not such opportunities would serve your purposes. File size of the export and export times might make such choices prohibitive?

Please let us know if any of the above helped.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                          clarkiek Level 1

Thank you both again for your help.    When I save like this am I saving the raw footage?  File > save as > adobe premiere elements project (*prel)

• 10. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

clarkiek,

The Save, Save_As, and Save_As_a_Copy is only for the Project's .PREL file. That contains no media.

If you wish to output a file (a Digital Intermediate in this case) for additional editing in another Project, you would use Share/Publish+Share, and choose the file type, and its specifications.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

clarkiek

I am understanding that you are asking "If "None" or "Uncompressed" as Video Codec in the Premiere Elements export settings, will that give me raw footage?" There are all sorts of discussions on raw versus video footage from the camera. The "raw footage" (data) from the camera is processed along the way to what gets put on the computer and into Premiere Elements.

http://www.videomaker.com/videonews/2012/10/the-difference-between-raw-video-and-uncompres sed-video

What you are putting on the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline looks like a .mov file which probably has video compression, probably AVCHD or H.264. If you take that to a .mov export with "None" for video compression, I doubt that you are taking that .mov back to the in camera at sensor level raw camera data. But I have not been there and done that to test the validity or non validity of that thought.

If you do look at any of the QuickTime Uncompressed Video Codec settings for your .mov source file, I would be interested in your observations on that experience.

As for saving a project (project.prel), however you do it, the movie import is embedded in the project file as a copy of the original on the computer hard drive. And, it is a copy that must trace back to the original on the computer hard drive. So, your project has embedded a copy of whatever the camera gave you to put on your computer hard drive.

If you want to export your Timeline .mov content to the closest possible replicate of it as a .mov file, I will offer settings for doing that based on the properties of the .mov file that you post.

Any questions or clarification on any of the above, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The terms "raw," and "RAW," often referred to as "Camera RAW," can lead to some confusion.

Camera RAW is common with stills cameras, such as Nikon's NEF files. There are also some video cameras, that shoot a version of Camera RAW, such as the professional Arri Alexa, which can shoot Arri-RAW.

The term "raw" in video, usually means a format with no Compression, hence the appearance of "None," or similar, in the CODEC information. Such uncompressed video files are huge. They can also cause many computers to struggle, just trying to play them back.

The reason that I use one of the lossless CODEC's, such as UT, or Lagarith, is that the files produced with those CODEC's will be compressed, but still visually lossless. The files are smaller, though still larger than say a similar file using H.264 Compression, while retaining the visual quality of an uncompressed file. I have experimented with both the uncompressed AV files vs those with either UT, or Lagarith lossless CODEC's, and cannot find any visual differences between the two. The lossless CODEC files are smaller than the uncompressed, and do not cause any issues on my computers.

Hunt

• 13. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

There is no confusion here. raw image format (still) has never been mentioned in this thread and clearly does not apply to this discussion of "video" raw at the camera sensor level and footage from the camera.

Although you might not be seeing any "visual difference" with different compression schemes introduced in the export scheme, the question at hand is does exporting a Timeline to a file using "Uncompressed" or "None" for the export dialog field video codec field result in a file with a "raw" format representative of the camera sensor level capture and before the camera had a chance to do its compression thing. That was my interpretation of what was being discussed. Before you posted your latest remarks, we were waiting for clarkiek to clarify so that your and subsequent comments would be better placed in context.

It goes without saying that the choice of video without compression is going to give huge files with which one finds a way to work or not.

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As very few video cameras use a completely "raw" format, I think that there might have been confusion.

While the initial sensor recording is basically in a "raw" format, no user will ever see that. The resulting file will be internally processed within the camera. There is no going back to that sensor captured file, at least not that I know about.

The only video cameras, of which I am aware, that do allow for the output of a raw file will be very expensive professional cameras, like the afore mentioned Arri Alexa.

Hunt

• 15. Re: How do I export a video so I can still edit it in the future and have all data (no compression)
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks.

My prior posts were pointed to learning of clarkiek's expectation for recovering "Raw at the sensor level with regard to video". I asked because I did not want to take anything for granted in the exchange of posts between clarkiek and us.

ATR