15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2014 10:18 AM by A.T. Romano

Cross Dissolve problem

OutintheBlue

Hi,

What are the correct settings for a fluent cross-dissolve from one clip to another?

I am using version 12 of Premiere Elements and the standard length of my is 1 second (50 frames). However the result is that I still can see the faded out video 'stop' (instead of fading completely) and the new video seems to pause before it's fading in.

Obviously I want it just going smoothly from one clip to another.

Seems to me like a basic setting to any video editing software, but I cannot seem to fix this.

Thanx for your responses.

Best regards,

Ronald

• 1. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

Do you have a PAL install for your Premiere Elements 12 or are using a PAL project preset?

The video transition default duration in Premiere Elements 12 is 1.00 second in Premiere Elements 12. And, with that PAL 25 frames per second, that 1 second = 25 frames.

Beside video transition duration, have you looked at video transition alignment - Left Clip, Between Clips, Right Clip? Are you dealing with trimmed or untrimmed clips for the transition?

What is the duration of your video clips in relation to the duration of the video transition being used?

Please review and consider the contents of my blog posts on Premiere Elements video and audio transitions (the blog is free one with no ads, just a place to keep track of my Premiere Element observations)

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe-minimum-duration-for-transition.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-video-transitions-part-2-how-they.html

If questions or clarification need after reviewing the above,  please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
            OutintheBlue Level 1

I think I have a PAL install, since I live in the Netherlands. My videofiles are in HD (1920x1080 - .MTS format) with 50 frames per second. I do export in PAL to using either AVCHD (MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 30 but changed to pal) or XAVC-S (MP4 -H264 3840x2160 29.97p 30Mbps, also changed to pal).

Still trying to find the best possible quality with the lowes filesize, but it's soo complicated... That would be another question...

How can ordianary people even understand all this stuff??

I don;t know if my clips are trimmed or untrimmed or where to find this video transition alligment. I expected things to work LOL...

My clips are just various from like 10 seconds to minutes...

Thanx!

• 3. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

If your video files are AVCHD.mts (1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second), then you or the project should be setting your Premiere Elemens 12 to

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

When you go to export that Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, I do not understand your choice of export. Have you looked at:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30, but under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, you change the frame rate to 50 and include all the changes as reflected in the screenshot below

AVCHD MP4.JPG

Later if necessary, we can try lowering the bitrate to find a compromise between file size, bitrate, and quality.

Please review and consider. Also, please let me know why you are using the X-AVC-S choice at all. And, why you are switching between NTSC to PAL frame rates.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                Vanelli014

Like A.T.Romana say, a smooth cross disolve works with trimmed clips, as you can see in the attachement the clips with in the upper corners little gray handles or not "trimmed",  when those little gray corners or not there your clip is trimmed. You can trim a clip on the right or left side, then you see that the little gray triangle(s) disappear. This is one method you have also other methods.

Vanelli14

getrimde clips.JPG

• 5. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Vanelli014

Thanks for re-enforcing the mention of the trimmed versus untrimmed clip in relation to Premiere Elements transition. I had difficulty locating them in your screenshot because of its resolution (even at the enlarged size). But I did see them at the end of 00276.mts and the beginning of 00277.mts because I knew what I was looking for. So, I am posting a closer view of these clip marks.

I have gone into the matter of untrimmed clips and transitions in great detail as well as others related matters for the Premiere Elements transition, including graphics in the following blog post which I have already mentioned

"PE Video Transitions - Part 2 - How They Work".

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-video-transitions-part-2-how-they.html

The blog post includes a Figure 1a pointing to the clip mark for untrimmed clips.

Clip-1a.JPG

ATR

• 6. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                    Vanelli014 Level 1

well-done Romano

Greets,

Vanelli014

• 7. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ronald,

You have gotten some good guidance and recommendations for using Transitions. Also see this article on "Handles" with Transitions, such as Cross-Dissolve: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/701768?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                        OutintheBlue Level 1

Thanx for all your answers.

However, I don't think my problem is connected with this trim thing. I don't want to trim my clips, I like them as they are and I want to use the full length of each clip. I just want a good cross dissolve transition between them. But I did trim the clip just to try, but the problem remains. I posted an example to You Tube to show you guys what I mean:

As you can see, the previous clip has not fully disappeared yet, while the next clip starts with a few frames of still image while fading in...

And this is how it's set up in Premiere:

Screenshot 2014-04-06 13.35.20_cr.jpg

Thanx again for your help.

Regards, Ronald

• 9. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                          OutintheBlue Level 1

Using some freeware, I have also some info about my original video file format. Maybe that helps to determine what settings I should put in Premiere. And looking back now at my video, I guess I described my problem wrongly. Looking closer at the transition, it's not really like previous clip has not fully disappeared, it does fully disappear, but ends with a few frames of still image, like the next clip starts with a few frames of still image....

Algemeen
                          ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
                          Complete name                            : D:\Videomontage projecten\Import Sony HDR-CX130\20120804124910.MTS
                          Format                                   : BDAV
                          Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
                          File size                                : 46,6 MiB
                          Duration                                 : 14s 846ms
                          Overall bit rate mode                    : Variabel
                          Overall bit rate                         : 26,3 Mbps
                          Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 28,0 Mbps

Video
                          ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
                          Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
                          Format                                   : AVC
                          Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
                          Format profile                           : High@L4.2
                          Format settings, CABAC                   : Ja
                          Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
                          Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=12
                          Codec ID                                 : 27
                          Duration                                 : 14s 880ms
                          Bit rate mode                            : Variabel
                          Bit rate                                 : 25,0 Mbps
                          Maximum bit rate                         : 26,0 Mbps
                          Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
                          Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
                          Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
                          Frame rate                               : 50,000 fps
                          Color space                              : YUV
                          Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
                          Bit depth                                : 8 bits
                          Scan type                                : Progressief
                          Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.241
                          Stream size                              : 44,4 MiB (95%)

Audio
                          ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
                          Format                                   : AC-3
                          Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
                          Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
                          Format settings, Endianness              : Big
                          Codec ID                                 : 129
                          Duration                                 : 14s 880ms
                          Bit rate mode                            : Constant
                          Bit rate                                 : 256 Kbps
                          Channel(s)                               : 2 kanalen
                          Channel positions                        : Front: L R
                          Sampling rate                            : 48,0 KHz
                          Bit depth                                : 16 bits
                          Stream size                              : 465 KiB (1%)

Tekst
                          ID                                       : 4608 (0x1200)
                          Format                                   : PGS
                          Codec ID                                 : 144
                          Duration                                 : 14s 335ms

• 10. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

Thanks for your reply.

Based on the video properties that you have posted, the Premiere Elements 12 project preset =

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD HD1080p50

As for your Cross Dissolve transition, have you looked at alignments of Linkerclip (Left Clip) and Rechterclip (Right Clip) as well as Tussen de clips (Between Clips)?

You only have to trim a few frames when you trim clips to get the handles that you need to make the transition work. But, when you trim the clip, you are not losing the frames that you are trimming. They are just hidden. To prove this to yourself...when you get a trimmed clip to the Timeline, you will find that you can recover the whole clip by dragging on its edges.

Are you having problems with Cross Dissolve transition and only the specific clips or on all clips to which you apply a Cross Dissolve transition?

Please review my blog post on How Transitions Work if you have not already.

Have you seen this one

http://ipad.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3705

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                              OutintheBlue Level 1

Thanx again for your reply.

The initial project settings are correct, so there is not the cause of the problem.

Ok. Now I've read the page and indeed, if I trim the  first clip at the end 15 or more frames, and the next one also 15 frames from the beginning, then the transition seems to work smoothly.

But seriously,  I cannot believe I have to trim every single clip in order to get a transition to work smoothly?? How is that considered consumer friendly? I used to work with Premiere 6.5 and there I could just import and put transitions between the A and the B track and that worked fine. I also worked with pinnacle and I could just add the default transition on the entire movie and it worked fine (including audio, cause that is another thing that is not working as I am used to.)

Is there not an automatic proces to just cut 15 frames from both sides (beginning and and) of each clip?

Does Premiere pro work the same way?

Thanx!

Regards, Ronald

• 12. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

Is there not an automatic proces to just cut 15 frames from both sides (beginning and and) of each clip?

Not that I have ever seen reported for Premiere Elements nor that I have found. The Tools/Smart Trim feature does not apply to what you would like to do.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSA27F29AF-97BB-4bdc-AF98-65113182EDF6. html

You need to trim the clip edges to make the transition only if the transition does not work without trimming the clip(s). Depends on the clips as detailed in

ATR

• 13. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ronald,

The concept of Handles can be pretty abstract, when one first encounters it, but with time, it makes perfect sense.

It was easier to see, and understand, back before the introduction of Non Linear Editors, going back to the earliest days of cinema. With film, Transitions were created in the lab, when the "prints" of the film were made. There were two reels of film, the A-Roll and the B-Roll, and they had to overlap in the place of a Transition, for them to work. It's the same in video, but one just does not see it so clearly.

When shooting, most videographers will begin filming slightly before the desired action takes place, and will continue filming even after it has been completed. This is to proved adequate Handles for Transitions between scenes.

Trimming Clips, to provide Handles, is just part of editing, though planning for the Handles begins with the shooting of the video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                                    nealeh Level 5

Something I've not seen referred to in any of the above (apologies Bill / ATR if I missed it) is that you can preview the actual fade out / fade in of your transition in the transition adjustments window.

• Double-click the transition.
                                    • Click 'More'.
                                    • Scroll to the bottom.
                                    • Click the <eye> icon to deactivate it. This replaces the generic transition example to use your actual clips.
                                    • Use the sliders to see how your transition out / transition in points are working.

1.png

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 15. Re: Cross Dissolve problem
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

True, the Transition Adjustments dialog will allow you to know what you already know that the transition is not working for you. And, you can make Cross Dissolve transition fade out/fade in adjustments under More. Still no automatic process.

But, are you generalizing to suggest that these fade out/fade in adjustments are replacements for trimming of clips to make the transition work?

ATR