5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 12:56 AM by Doc Maik

Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?

helpmemama

Why do the photos in my first InDesign project look really bad? Noticed as I "placed" them, some PDFs or JPEGs (not photos, but PDFs converted to JPEG) looked pretty distorted. Went ahead with the 60+ page project, converted to PDF, sent to client. He converted to a flipbook to proof and really didn't like the photos. Here's the irony. Upgraded to InDesign for this client. Was using Publisher as a standby until I could afford InDesign. Signed up with the Creative Cloud because job was overwhelming Publisher.

I started the job without a whole lot of knowledge (or patience for the tutorials) and figured I just wing it (and get InDesign for Dummies). Am thinking somethingw as screwed up in the initial setting up of the job. So how do I figure out if this is the issue and can I fix it without redoing all 60+ pages. If anybody has an answer, please let me know.

• 1. Re: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?
          Migintosh Level 4

helpmemama wrote:

…not photos, but PDFs converted to JPEG…

Did the client require Jpegs, or was that your decision.

helpmemama wrote:

…He converted to a flipbook to proof…

Was that going to be the final product, or just to proof? I don't do digital flipbooks, but I could see how the format might restrict some image types, so maybe Jpeg was required, but there are lots of PDFs that would look bad as Jpegs, especially if the resolution was low and the compression was high. What did you use to convert, and what settings/specs did you use?

• 2. Re: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?
            Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

helpmemama wrote:

Why do the photos in my first InDesign project look really bad? Noticed as I "placed" them, some PDFs or JPEGs (not photos, but PDFs converted to JPEG) looked pretty distorted. Went ahead with the 60+ page project, converted to PDF, sent to client. He converted to a flipbook to proof and really didn't like the photos. Here's the irony. Upgraded to InDesign for this client. Was using Publisher as a standby until I could afford InDesign. Signed up with the Creative Cloud because job was overwhelming Publisher.

I started the job without a whole lot of knowledge (or patience for the tutorials) and figured I just wing it (and get InDesign for Dummies). Am thinking somethingw as screwed up in the initial setting up of the job. So how do I figure out if this is the issue and can I fix it without redoing all 60+ pages. If anybody has an answer, please let me know.

• Ok, first image on your indesign page or any other program for that matter are still images, they are no longer pdf's, jpg's, psd's, etc. Once they load into a program, the file format is no longer relevant until you save again. Onl;y on your drive is the format relavent.
            • Second, if you can help it, never use jpg's until you are completely done and will be sharing a jpg. Jpg's are a lossy format are are not the best for preserving quality on your drive. Each time you open a jpg, and save a jpg more data is lost, as that is how that format compresses the data, by throwing it way for ever.
            • Third, the problem may not even be with you, it could happen when that person created a flipbook. That is an unknown varible, one which could make you look bad when it had nothing to do with you.
            • Fourth, Pay attention to the pixel dimentions of your images, the higher those values are the better the quality. Scaling can and probably will reduce that quality. If you can, it is better to hide parts of the image by cropping with a frame than it is to scale the image. you can scale, but pay attention to it.

I will stop there for now, as some of what I wrote is based on assumtions. That normally does not work out too well.

• 3. Re: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?
              helpmemama Level 1

Okay, the source of the materials, PDFs and JPGs was the same source for about 4 or 5 previous magazines done on Publisher. One source was a professional photographer I did another publication for (on Publisher) that came out very crisp, clear, just like the originals. The material I used from him on this first InDesign publication came out poorly, muddle color, not the sharply defined edges (was a auto engine tech piece). There was some improvement on the PDF and the flipbook conversion, but not of the quality of the original.

Will be calling Adobe Tech Support in the morning. I'm thinking there was some dumb *** thing I did when I "winged it" to start this first document. Does that make any sense at all?

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 21:44:03 -0700

To: dmurphy49@outlook.com

Subject: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?

Re: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?

created by Silkrooster in InDesign - View the full discussion

• 4. Re: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?
                helpmemama Level 1

There was a combination of elements, some PDFs, some JPGS, some scans to JPGS, etc. All came from the same source as 4-5 previous publications, all done on Publisher. Have gone thru the final product (Flipbook) on the previous publications, plus another flipbook e-magazine done for another client and the photo quality was equivalent to the originals--pretty good to very good.

What scares me is that one article in this InDesign publication came from a professional photographer I did the other flipbook for and all his photos came out great in that Publisher publication converted to PDF converted to Flipbook.

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 21:10:34 -0700

To: dmurphy49@outlook.com

Subject: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?

Re: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?

created by Migintosh in InDesign - View the full discussion

• 5. Re: Why do the photos in my first InDesign project  look really bad?
                  Doc Maik Level 4

Please stop including that mail header.

Let's focus on those files you place and which allegedly make your results look bad.

If you place the source files and you switch to High Quality View in Indesign and you zoom to, let's say, 400% - do they still look good on screen?

What format did you use to export? I suppose it wasn't INDD you handed over to those people who made the flipbook.