15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 2:05 PM by Peter Spier

Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages

peakergeeker

Is it possible to use a textframe on a master page for means of common positioning of texts?

On pages based on this master page, I'd like to put individual text into this frame, or at least the exact location. Then, when I change the position of the textrame on the master page, the position of all textframes of the pages follow suit.

Thank you for paying attention to my problem.

• 1. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
          Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

If I understand well, yes, just do it!

• 2. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
            peakergeeker Level 1

How can I achieve this? Unfortunately it is not possible for me to put text into the frame on a page. I can't even select the frame itself, just on the Master page.

I am on CS6 btw.

• 3. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages

Well! Do you work with a double master page?

• 4. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
                Migintosh Level 4

From this link:

Using text frames on master pages

When you start a new document, you can select the Master Text Frame option so that an empty text frame is placed on the document’s default master page. This frame has the column and margin attributes specified in the New Document dialog box.

Follow these guidelines for using text frames on master pages:

• Set master text frames when you want each page in your document to contain a page-sized text frame into which you can flow or type your text. If your document requires more variation, such as pages with different numbers of frames or frames of different lengths, leave the Master Text Frame option deselected, and use the Type tool to create text frames on masters.
                • Whether or not you select the Master Text Frame option, you can add text frames to a master page to act as placeholders. You can thread these empty placeholder frames together to establish a flow.
                • Flow text into master text frames using the same procedures you would use with frames created on document pages. 
                • If you need to type text in a master text frame on a document page, hold down Ctrl+Shift (Windows) or Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you click the text frame on the document page. Then click in the frame using the Type tool and begin typing.
                • You can use Smart Text Reflow to add or remove pages automatically as you type and edit text. By default, when you type text at the end of a threaded text frame based on a master page, a new page is added, allowing you to continue typing in the new text frame. You can edit Smart Text Reflow settings.
                • If you change the page margins, text frames adjust to the new margins only if the Enable Layout Adjustment option is selected.
                • Selecting the Master Text Frame option does not affect whether new pages are added when you autoflow text.
                • 5. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages

Migintosh, Totally right! Thanks. You avoid me to explain it in English! 

• 6. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
                    peakergeeker Level 1

commad + shift + click

Thanky you

• 7. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

One more thing to remember. Once you override the master frame this way, any changes you make to it are no longer linked to the master page, so if you move or resize one of these frames on the document page it will not update if you move or resize on the master page.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages

Hi Peter,

Totally right!

Changes must be made on the master page, not on the current pages.

• 9. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
                          peakergeeker Level 1

I did notice the behavior of proportional movement of command + shift clicked textfields on the page itself:

If I moved the activated frame on the page, its movement will be influenced exactly by the masters textrame. But it still remains in the wrong position.

Ideally would be an option to lock the frame itself on the master but still enable its text editing functionality.

Still good for me anyway.

• 10. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages

Being able to select (and therefore edit the content of) a locked object is a choice in the prefs. It's turned off by default, which in my opinion is wrong. My feeling is things you don't want to select should be on a locked layer.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
                              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I moved the activated frame on the page, its movement will be influenced exactly by the masters textrame. But it still remains in the wrong position.

You can relink all of the master page attributes of a master page item via Pages>Master Pages>Remove Selected Local Overrides.

So if you have a case where there's a master page text frame on a range of pages and you've overridden them all to add text, but on one page you repositioned the frame so it no longer responds to repositioning via the Master, you could: copy the frame's text, remove the override, commnd-shift click the frame, insert the cursor and paste—now that text frame will again respond to a Master reposition.

• 12. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
                                peakergeeker Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

Being able to select (and therefore edit the content of) a locked object is a choice in the prefs. It's turned off by default, which in my opinion is wrong. My feeling is things you don't want to select should be on a locked layer.

One can decide therefore either between messing up the text or messing up the position?

Being able to seperately lock  object properties and/or object content would be nice in my case.

• 13. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages

I'm not following what you are saying here. You want to be able to lock an object for size and position, but still edit the text, right? Go to the prefs and uncheck the "Prevent Selection of Locked Objects" box and that's what you have, and that's the way ID always worked prior to CS5. I fought very hard to get this as a preference during pre-release for CS5 when I found the behavior was changed to prevent selection of locked frames (and the collateral inability to place content in them) which made many of my old templates essentially useless.

• 14. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages
                                    peakergeeker Level 1

Allrigh, I think there is indeed a flaw in my previous statement

Prevent Selection of Locked Objects: Checked

Textframe on Master unlocked     -> Possibility to mess up on Pages: Position + Text

Textframe on Master locked         -> Possibility to mess up on Pages: Nothing (Text not editable)

Prevent Selection of Locked Objects: UnChecked

Textframe on Master unlocked     -> Possibility to mess up on Pages: Position + Text

Textframe on Master locked         -> Possibility to mess up on Pages: Text

Therefore: Your method is the best, I think. You are right. To be safe one can check the setting after work, but that comes not very handy.

Still, a little locking function, additionally for the text, which I can still mess up, is a good idea IMHO.

Thank you anyway for pointing this out!

My best

• 15. Re: Textframe on Masterpage & Individual Text on Pages

If you want to prevent editing of the text after you're done, add a layer and move the frame onto that layer (you'll need to unlock the frame to do this) by dragging the little colored square in the layers panel, then lock that layer.