6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2014 7:56 AM by dlg62

How do I deactivate an Adobe ID associated with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0

dlg62

I have a sony e-reader that I've had for a few years associated with adobe ID for my old e-mail address (ending in shaw.ca).  Sony store has closed down and migrated to Kobo.  When I was migrating my reader library from sony to kobo I was advised I needed to download Adobe Digital Editions and create an adobe ID.  I created the ID with my new e-mail address (ending in telus.net) then I was to Authorize my computer and my Reader.  Problem is that they are under 2 different ID's and won't sinc so I went into my sony account to change my Adobe ID from the shaw.ca to the telus.com e-mail address and it won't allow me to do that because it says the telus.com ID is already active.  I want to deactivate my new one so I can go into my e-reader software with sony and change the adobe id showing.  When I spoke to the person on adobe chat earlier I was told there's no device associated with my old e-mail address and that I had to go to the forum however when I go into my sony reader account it shows in order to make any changes I need to log in with my old ID.  When I log in it says I need to activate my reader or it won't work...the person on chat told me to ignore the error message and use it anyhow.  I tried to explain it doesn't work without being able to activate it but all I was told was sorry they couldn't do anything for me and to go to the forum.

• 1. Re: How do I deactivate an Adobe ID associated with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0
          PEY

I had the same issue

Did you get it resolved

• 2. Re: How do I deactivate an Adobe ID associated with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0
            dlg62 Level 1

no ... nobody from Adobe ever responded to me, I tried the instant chat and they told me to go to a forum, I went to the forum they sent me to and after several frustrating posts was told I was on the wrong forum and to come to this one so I posted here and you're the first person to ever comment.... needless I gave up trying to get help from anyone at Adobe because I got nothing but the run around and then nothing at all (even though the person on chat "guaranteed" that there were Adobe tech's that monitor and answer all posts...apparently another BS story .... Kobo ended up making money off me because I didn't have much other choice but to buy a new reader and giving up my sony.

• 3. Re: How do I deactivate an Adobe ID associated with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0
              Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

To request deactivation of ADE devices you must contact Adobe Customer Care via phone or Live Chat (available during working hours only).

Despite what the website says, these forums cannot provide any help with your accounts and activation histories.

http://www.adobe.com/support/download-install/supportinfo/

• 4. Re: How do I deactivate an Adobe ID associated with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0
                PEY Level 1

I stumbled upon an answer last night and I am not in any way a tech savvy person - just stubborn and plugging and unplugging & kept clicking on everything (and plus the tax season kept me busy so the search for an answer was delayed)

To sum it up ... I ended up associating the reader with the new account and did nothing with the old account ... no deactivation of any sort - even if somhow Adobe tech or customer care deactivated the old account, they wont be able to remove the association that is already on your reader (I think)

I got nothing and nowhere further than I started after I have downloaded everything, read everything, and installed everything possible and available according to every post and article posted (Sony & Adobe & reader related) ... then I unplugged the reader and plugged it into another usb cord that was already in another usb slot (hoping that might solve everything and it did ... kind of led me there  ) ... installed the Reader for PC from there and downloaded the books from Kobo, and when I clicked on sync in the reader tab (again hoping that it will somehow magically work), there was a pop up asking if I wanted to associate the new account with the reader ... of course I did DUH

For some reason, my computer read the reader in the second slot as a new reader (I think) ... so if you want to try again ... maybe use a computer that the reader has not been plugged into before and see if you can install the Reader for PC(or MAC ... mine's a PC), and download the books from Kobo store tab, then proceed to sync on the Reader tab and ... or uninstall the Reader for PC on your computer ... or simply plug it into a second usb cord

The Adobe Digital Editions was unnecessary for the Sony / Kobo migration (and yes, I downloaded it too, but deleted -  no use at all) - all that was needed was the Adobe ID 

I am not very good with explaining in just words, so my apologies if this does not make any sense ... easier to be able to upload some screen shots or live chat

• 5. Re: How do I deactivate an Adobe ID associated with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0
                  dlg62 Level 1

Exactly ... per my post my first contact WAS live chat who told me they couldn't help me and I had to go to the forum and gave me a link when I questioned how a forum was going to deactive an account she/he said that support tech's go through the posts and I argued with her but finally went to the link she provided where someone eventually told me I was in the wrong forum and sent me to this one....now I'm told to go back to live chat which is where I started

• 6. Re: How do I deactivate an Adobe ID associated with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0
                    dlg62 Level 1

Finally an answer that might help I'll give this a try in the next couple of days and let you know if it worked for me.  Thank you!