19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2014 4:20 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Multiple usage of same footnote

A. Wayne Webb Level 1

Okay, so I have a document where multiple passages refer to a single footnote.  How do I go about using just one footnote and not multiple instances of the same footnote text?

At present for the additional references in the body text I have to create "[6]" and superscript it.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
          Doc Maik Level 4

Yes, that's exactly the way. Inserting footnotes from the menu is just a helping hand, not a complex feature.

• 2. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi doc Maik,

What do you mean?

• 3. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
              A. Wayne Webb Level 1

Thanks Doc.  You would think the powers that be would have resolved this issue.  Oh well!

What happens is that if I go back to a previous passage and insert a new footnote, it screws up the manually inserted superscripts.

• 4. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A. Wayne Webb wrote:

Thanks Doc.  You would think the powers that be would have resolved this issue.

Indeed you might, but footnote handling hasn't changed since CS2 (maybe even earlier).

• 5. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Peter Spier wrote:

A. Wayne Webb wrote:

Thanks Doc.  You would think the powers that be would have resolved this issue.

Indeed you might, but footnote handling hasn't changed since CS2 (maybe even earlier).

No, not earlier, 'notes were "New! Exciting!" in CS2 (and haven't changed a bit since).

But, it's a pretty unusual thing to do with footnotes, though. This sounds more like a Cross Reference should work, such as a numbered Bibliographic reference. Alas! ID's Cross References are not really up to this task (or maybe I'm just using them wrong). I tried to simply replace the Footnote number with a numbered paragraph, continuing "through multiple stories", but they still start at '1' for each next note.

• 6. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

Hi,

There's a funny way using autonumbering and cross-references!

• 7. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Obi-Wan, are you our last hope?

... I suspect your funny way do not work the way Footnotes work, that is, automatically insetting at the bottom of the first text frame where they appear. (And if they do, for example using an anchored object, then footnote number 2 and the next ones on a same page need manual intervention.)

• 8. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

Hi Jongware,

The tip is anchoring (block outside the page), after the call of the note in the text, a text block with a para/autonumbering and so replicate the numbering of the notes.

After, just insert the cross-ref. to this para choosing [ <paraNum /> ] as definition.

We can do it with a little grep search/replace. I tested it. It's cool! 

• 9. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

Oups! I've forgotten:  If you insert a new note, just update the CR!

• 10. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
                            A. Wayne Webb Level 1

So, to accomplish my goal I need to scrap using the built in Footnote feature.  In stead of it use the cross reference system.  Here is a sample of my document.

As for Obi-wan's comment, I am totally lost.  The auto paragraph numbering I undertand and have used in the past if I recall.  The cross reference comment loses me.

All-in-all, thanks one and all.

• 11. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

I could explain the process in the details. It is finally very easy when you understand how do it.

I promise: I'll make screenshot to give you all the steps!

Don't forget: if you add or delete footnotes, welcome to the dark side of the Force! 

• 12. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
                                A. Wayne Webb Level 1

See, that is the problem I am having as shown in the file I had linked to.  Over the years I have written many, many historical documents and each and every time it gets so confusing when using the same superscript number to reference a single footnote.  Often I would walk away for a day or two, and if they were wrong so be it!

So, I either go with your idea of scrapping the footnote system AND use the cross reference system with the same problems — OR — go nuts real quick like trying to keep the notes in my head till they're all in place.  I've a headache just thinking of it.

Give me the light side, PLEASE.

• 13. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

Take a look to:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfSleVShxsc&feature=youtu.be

The way you can now work. Automatically! 

• 14. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

I promised ... Step by step:

Inventary:

1/ Footnotes settings

01.png

02.png

2/ Note call character style

03.png

3/ Footnote paragraph style

04.png

4/ Reiteration of note

05.png

06.png

5/ The TIP

07.png

08.png

Objet style:

09.png

10.png

Paragraph style:

11.png

12.png

Changing color (none to black), you can see the "auto-numbering" now.

13.png

Let's go to action!

• 15. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

Action!

1/ I create a new note: will be the note numbered "6".

14.png

15.png

16.png

2/ I copy the text block anchor and paste it after the note call "6".

Warning: this can be done with a little regex for all the document:

25.png

17.png

3/ I create further a return to the note 6.

As you can say, there already are returns to the note 6: [6].

In fact, they concern the old note 6, which has become note 7.

The blue numbers between blue brackets are cross-references: you will have to update them (see below).

18.png

19.png

4/ Cross-reference settings

20.png

21.png

5/ The cross-reference [6] has been created

22.png

6/ As you see, the cross-references need to be updated.

23.png

Done!

24.png

Thank you for going to the end!

MTFBWY

• 16. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
                                        A. Wayne Webb Level 1

Whewww!!!   I think it might be a no-go here on my end.  I followed along pretty well until screen shot #9 in the first section — X-numbering Object Style.  Your ID being in French and mine in English makes it even more difficult.  Thanks to Google for their translation applet.  I finally noticed the Custom / Personnalisée.  Dummy me.

It will take me several days to muddle my way through this and did not want to seem to be a non-appreciative person.

I know the last time I messed with GREP I got frustrated and walked away.  All I wanted was to have a self-made fraction and for ID to recognize 23/100 as such.  After following several online tutorials explicitly, they all failed.  At present I am forced to use the nominator / denominator of the Character > Open Type menu.  As that document I am working on deals with land acreage there are hundreds of fractions.

Here is a thought.  Could you pass along the file you just created? I could then use it as a series of templates, changing the paper size and fonts as needed.

On another note, and in case you are interested, here is what a similar file looks like online after I exported it from ID.  It took some doing after exporting to HTML to get it to play correctly with Joomla, but it works.  ID puts in way too many DIVs, but then nothing isever perfect not matter how I try.  I used even more footnotes in the linked article.

Thanks Oh Great Wise Purveyor of the Force.  May your sabre never lose it's battery.

• 17. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

Hi Wayne,

If concern, do not hesitate to send me a private message!

ID files can be dowloaded with this link [valid for 15 days]:

http://we.tl/jX9L0AZsBK

• 18. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote
                                            A. Wayne Webb Level 1

As I have often heard and reiterated, colloquially, "You're all that and a six-pack."  I have things to do today, 'tis tax season, but I will get back to you later today or tomorrow.  And it is nice to see someone else up before the chickens — I get my best work done without distractions.

• 19. Re: Multiple usage of same footnote

Wayne,

Last thing: You can associate keyboard shortcuts to:

Insert a new note

Paste the text block anchor after the call note [I'll provide you later a little [JS] that automatically make the regex]

Insert a new cross-ref.

Uptade all the cross-ref. (without opening the cross-ref. panel).

So, what I show you may be totally terrible ... click, click ...