5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2014 8:24 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I set duration for stills in 12

Alfs digs

1st attempt to set up a slide show in elements 12, but can't see how to set duration.

• 1. Re: How do I set duration for stills in 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alfs digs

If you want to set Still Image Default Duration in Premiere Elements 12, in Expert workspace go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and type in value in the field for Still Image Default Duration. The field is in frame unit. The default is 150 frames which is 5 seconds in a NTSC 30 frames per second set up. In PAL 25 frames per second, 150 frames would be 6 seconds duration.

Once that preference setting is set, then all still imports AFTER that will have the Still Image Default Duration set.

Once you have the stills on the Timeline, then your opportunity to change the still image duration is found in the feature Time Stretch.

Right click the still, select Time Stretch, and then set duration in the timecode display format 00;00;00;00 (hours; minutes; seconds; frames). If you want to set the duration to 3 seconds, the you would set for 00;00;03;00. If you want to set the duration for more than one still at a time, then hold down the Shift key of the computer main keyboard, and click each of the stills involved. This leads to selection of all at the same time. Right click anywhere in the selection, select Time Stretch, and then set the duration in the Time Stretch dialog.

If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I set duration for stills in 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Alfs digs

It just occurred to me. When you wrote "Elements 12", were you referring to Photoshop Elements 12 or Premiere Elements 12. I assumed Premiere Elements 12 in my reply. Did I assume incorrectly?

Are you in Elements Organizer 12 Create Slideshow Slideshow Editor instead?

If so, then, in the Elements Organizer 12, Edit Menu/Preferences/Slideshow, set the Static Duration for from 3 to 5 seconds.

The Slideshow Editor Preferences also shows up as a pop up dialog after you select Create/Slideshow and before the Slideshow Editor opens.

Once in the Slideshow Editor there are opportunties for setting the slide duration in the Filmstrip. See field with tiny triangle under the slide thumbnail. It appears that the set can be for 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and custom seconds. Custom appears to allow for duration of 0.5 to 120.0 seconds.

We think that we have you covered on all sides on this one. Please let us know the details and the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I set duration for stills in 12
              Alfs digs Level 1

Thank you.  You solved my problem, and you were correct in assuming my question was for Premier Elements 12.

Alf

• 4. Re: How do I set duration for stills in 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Alfs digs

Thanks for the follow up. Glad the suggestions worked for you.

You should be all set for either Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements. But never hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I set duration for stills in 12
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Alfs digs,

Great news.

Also, if you need to tweak individual Images' Durations, after Import, and placement onto the Timeline, you can still do so by Click+dragging on the Head, or Tail of the Clip (the Stills are treated as Clips, when dragged to the Timeline), as desired. Obviously, getting very close by the Edit>Preferences Stills Duration is what one wants initially, so that the Duration is correct, one can still tweak, if necessary. When doing that, I find it useful to have the Info Panel open, to see exactly how my tweaks are being applied. I will also turn Snap OFF (S key toggles between ON/OFF), when altering the Duration in fine increments.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt