4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2014 9:06 AM by flyfisher200

Ungroup groups

flyfisher200 Level 1

When building an epub in CS6 I used the group method to keep images and captions together (upwards of 250 illustrations). The groups are anchored as inline objects. ID CC introduced a nasty little bug which rasterizes groups without allowing an option. This destroys caption text. One "fix" is to increase the size and weight of my caption para style but this is ugly. The other way is to save the document as an idml and open it in CS6. OK, but you then lose any CC advantages. Is there any way to ungroup all? The one at a time method involves changing each anchored group to an above-line object, releasing the anchor, ungrouping, re-anchoring and relocating the image and caption frames separately (not an option for 250).

Paul

• 1. Re: Ungroup groups
          Douglas Waterfall Level 1

We rasterize Inline positioned Anchored Objects in order to maintain their position relative to the text where they are anchored - the only HTML object which can be a child of a Pargagraph is an image.

Above Line and Custom positioned Anchored Objects are treated differently - they are removed from the Paragraph and placed after it (or before it if the anchor TextIndex is the start of the paragraph) and so we are not forced to rasterize them and turn them into an image.

Until we give you an explicit control to say "move this Inline position Anchored Object outside the Paragraph" you only choice to prevent automatic rasterization is to change the Anchored Object position which I believe you can do with Find/Change Object, or if you've faithfully applied an Object Style you can just edit that.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ungroup groups
            flyfisher200 Level 1

Thank you. Unfortunately this isn't a full answer although it does explain your thinking. Am I to understand that it's impossible to easily ungroup a group consisting of an image and text frame that has been made into an inline anchored object?

I do have an object style but modifying that to change the inline anchor to a custom anchor only makes the "release" command available, not the "ungroup" command. Besides it would then be an even bigger problem to reposition the images. My error was clearly grouping the images and captions (although that gave me no problems in CS6).

Failing the ability to ungroup, it would seem the best I can do is to change the para style for the captions. I'll ask a separate question concerning the best typeface for dealing with rasterized type.

Paul

• 3. Re: Ungroup groups
              Douglas Waterfall Level 1

Hi Paul:

You cannot ungroup an Anchored Object of any kind/position - InDesign does not support this.

My answer was attempting to guide you in a more productive direction which would solve your problem.

Do this - change the Object Style assigned to your Inline Groups to make it Anchored Object position = Above Line. Now export.

As I said, it will no longer automatically rasterize the Group, but it also cannot maintain the Group within the Paragraph - its going to be moved after/before the text of the paragraph.

These are your only two choices - stay within the Paragraph and be rasterized, or leave the paragaph and stay alive.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 4. Re: Ungroup groups
                flyfisher200 Level 1

Thank you Douglas, on both counts. I missed something in your original post. I changed my object style to Custom which left me with a mess. The answer of course was to change it to Above Line. This works perfectly as the image group has its own paragraph and so, also changing the position to center, nothing changes except I no longer have rasterized type when converting to epub.

Thanks again.

Paul