11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2017 4:46 AM by timothyh68471775

Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.

djescobar973

I have this error on a Win 7 x64 setup. I have a HD with over 150 gigs and still gets this message. This HD is an external that I have for my scratch disk. Photoshop lets me select this drive, so why am I still getting this error? Ironically the 32bit version works fine but Im unable to take advantage of my 6 gigs of ram as Win 7 32bit only sees about half that ram. What gives? These installs are fresh. I haven't even started any projects.

• 1. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your disk doesn't have a proper 64bit driver most likely. Either way, without the exact tech specs nobody can say anything and in fact the disk being avialable to PS at all is probably the actual problem in teh first place - it probably shouldn't.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
            djescobar973 Level 1

what specs do you need?

My internal drive has only about 50 gigs free. It came stock with 80. Hence the external drive.

Toshiba 250GB , 5400 rpm. SATA (external)

Windows  x64, 5 Gigs RAM.

Photoshop CS5

• 3. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop can eat 150GB of scratch space with ease. When you get the message open the file explorer highlight the disk right click and click properties. Windows will show a pie chart for disk space. If its full Photoshop filled the space. If PS used the space for scratch space when you close Photoshop it will free the space.

• 4. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                djescobar973 Level 1

Im using My external as the scratch disk as my C: drive is only 80 gigs stock. Below is the properties of my external drive. Should I still be getting that error? I'd understand if I had projects made but I havent even started any. Oddly though, when I set the resolution at 72dpi, Photoshop loads fine. When I set it for 300dpi, the error appears. My 32 bit version is able to use 72 and 300 dpi but not all of my ram which is why I need the 64 bit. Should I get another drive much larger?

photo.JPG

• 5. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

For Large disk you should format them NTFS not Fat32 for better utilization and performance.   If you don't go wild in Photoshop I would think 200GB of scratch space should be good.  I would also make e: the first scratch disk. If your boot disk c: is only 80GB. I would not recommend using its free space for Photoshop scratch space. and for sure not the first scratch disk. Photoshop seems to fill the first scratch disk before  it starts using other scratch disks. You do not want your Windows Boot disk to become full.  Most applications write user information stuff  to windows user space and in user documents which is on the boot disk. There needs to be free space on the boot disk for  windows to operate properly.  You don't want a program like Adobe Photoshop or any other for that matter filling up the boot disk

You don't seem to understand that resolution is just a setting.  It is only use by Photoshop while editing a document for calculating the number of pixel required to do some when you use a relative measurement unit size like inched.  Photoshop works on pixels.  It the number of pixels that require space, every layer can consume a large amount of space if all of it bounds are full of pixel and layer can be any size they are not restricted by to canvas size. 72DPI documents can  have as many pixels as a 300dip document,

Once I did some testing in Photoshop using a small canvas size 100px by 100px 10,000 no bid deal and it does not matter if the resolution is 72dpi or 300 dpi the canvas size was set using pixels. However I created 8,000 layer like that 80,000,000 pixels 240,000,000 bytes,  In the process Photoshop user over 200GB of scratch space?????.  I save the document as a PSD file. Its size was 16MB that was larger the I thought it would be for all the pixels are white I though compression would do better the 16MB.  The way I duped the layers took Photoshop hours to do,  Yet I could double the document size by change color depth to 16 bit from 8bid and then half the document size br changing back to 8Bit color mode in under a minute.

I just did small test. I look at my free disk space then I started Photoshop CC and looked are free disk space.  Without even opening a document. Photoshop just processing  its preferences and initializing itself Photoshop had consumed 4GB of scratch disk space.  I then closed CC and the 4GB of disk space used was returned to free space.

• 6. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                    timothyh68471775 Level 1

Why does this question never get answered properly. I have a perfectly fast PC with over a TERRABITE of free space my diska are absoloutly not full not even slightly close..... And yet I get scratch disks are full errors

• 7. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Please check how full the disks are AT THE TIME OF THE ERROR MESSAGE and with the error message STILL ON SCREEN. It's important for you to find whether it is actually filling the disk (somehow) or whether the message is just wrong. Post a screen shot showing both the error message and Window disk Properties.

• 8. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                        timothyh68471775 Level 1

In my case it does actually fill the hard drives. Doing a task as simple as drawing a circle on a blank document fills 250gig on my secondary disk then proceeds to fill 150gig of C: ssd and then starts filling up an external USB3.0 drive when it will either lock up or give full scratch disk errors. You can sit there and watch the drives fill up, so it is correct in saying they are full. But there has to be somthing wrong for that to happen so easily when doing not much at all.

• 9. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Ok, let's look at how big the document is. What is the size in PIXELS? (if not sure a screen shot of the File >New screen is good)

• 10. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                            terris86415680 Adobe Community Professional

Are you using an old version of Photoshop? Photoshop 7, for example, is not able to see hard disks bigger than 1GB in the same way that a computer BIOS would not have seen the full capacity of a big drive 15 years ago-these things simply had not been invented then.

• 11. Re: Scratch Disks Full. Even with over 150 gigs.
                              timothyh68471775 Level 1

So this just answered my question I went out to check the size of the document, I had inches selected instead of pixels... so I was opening a 1000 inch file with 300pixels per inch...  Thanks for asking the right question this has been frustrating me for days..