31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2014 5:59 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

raw images

easky Community Member

raw images will not open in ps12 from my camera Nikon D3000

• 1. Re: raw images
          John T Smith MVP

If PS means Photoshop Elements, you are in the wrong forum

Photoshop Elements Forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

• 2. Re: raw images
            easky Community Member

Sorry

In a message dated 4/5/2014 2:16:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Re:  raw images

created by John T Smith (http://forums.adobe.com/people/JohnTSmith)  in

Premiere Elements - View the full  discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6274283#6274283)

• 3. Re: raw images
              A.T. Romano Community Member

easky

True, if you have a Photoshop Elements question best to post it in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum (photo editing) and not Adobe Premiere Elements Forum (video editing).

But while you are getting your thread moved from here to there....

Camera Raw version needs to support the Camera that is generating the raw image format. And, Photoshop Elements needs to support the Camera Raw version. So, let us see what we have

a. Camera Raw version/Camera Support for Nikon D3000

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

According to the above Adobe document, the first Camera Raw version to support Nikon D3000 is 5.5. Since Camera Raw is up to 8.3, I would expect Photoshop Elements 12 and its Camera Raw 8.3 would include support for the D3000. What is the file extension of your raw image format, nef or something else?

Please excuse me for asking, but I do not want to take anything for granted...is the name of the Nikon camera that  you posted correct?

And, when you open Photoshop Elements 12 Editor, Help Menu/About Plug-Ins/Camera Raw, what version of Camera Raw is shown?

Have you updated Photoshop Elements 12 to 12.1 yet via Help Menu/Update. If not, please consider doing so. And, while you are in Help Menu/Update, please note what other Updates might be waiting for you there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: raw images
                easky Community Member

ART..Thank you so much in trying to help.. Trying out to photograph in raw 

images for the first time.. I've enter info in red to respond to your 

questions..Let me know if there's something I'm missing.. I have the tech 

support number to call but they are only open M-F..

Carroll

In a message dated 4/5/2014 3:40:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

created by A.T. Romano (http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano)  in 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6274436#6274436)

• 5. Re: raw images

Carroll

I think that there was a problem with your message. I did not get the information that you mentioned.

I am not great at the details of posting in this forum, but sometimes the problem is

a. when you use email notification to respond to

or

b. when you reply from a cell phone instead of going to the computer browser, navigating to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, Signing In, and then posting a reply. Typically I do screenshot with the Windows Snipping Tool (jpeg format) and then introduce it into the Reply using the camera icon above the Reply field where I am typing my message.

Reposting your question in the Photoshop Elements Forum might expedite matters. Otherwise we wait for a moderator to see your thread and move it from here to there.

I was trying to work on your problem while all this thread relocation was going on.

Right now I have downloaded a raw image sample recorded by the Nikon D3000. I will see if it will import into my Photoshop Elements 12 and some earlier versions of it.

More soon.

ATR

• 6. Re: raw images

Carroll

Test completed. I downloaded a file with raw image format (.nef file extension) from Nikon D3000...

a. It opened in Camera Raw 8.3 dialog with no problems in Photoshop Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit (Camera Raw version 8.3)

b. It opened in Camera Raw 5.5 dialog with no problems in Photoshop Elements 8 Windows 7 64 bit (Camera Raw version 5.5)

c. It would not open in Camera Raw 4.5 dialog in Photoshop Elements 7 Windows 7 64 bit (Camera Raw version 4.5).

All that is consistent with the information that Nikon D3000 nef gets Camera Raw support starting with Camera Raw version 5.5.

Are you using the Photoshop Elements 12 Windows Full Editor, File Menu/Open and navigating to your nef file on the computer hard drive, selecting it, and then waiting for Camera Raw 8.3 dialog to open? Did you determine that it is Camera Raw 8.3 installed in your Photoshop Elements 12 (Help Menu/About Plug-Ins)?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: raw images
                      easky Community Member

Thanks..sorry for creating a problem.. if I don't see a response, I do have

the tech support phone number and will give them a call on Monday..

Thanks for all your efforts..

Carroll

In a message dated 4/5/2014 4:44:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6274564#6274564)

• 8. Re: raw images
                        easky Community Member

I think I'm going to embarrass myself.. I was expecting the raw images to 

import directly to the photoshop organizer.. but when I opened up the editor

part in elements 12..BINGO.. it opened up the raw image when I use it to

get the  pictures from my camera..

However in looking at the version for the plug in for camera raw..it showed

v 8.0 and I think the new one is 8.3..but when I asked for updates it said

I was  up to date..

I guess I still need to know how to get the images on my computer first 

rather than getting images from the camera..

Carroll

In a message dated 4/5/2014 5:05:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6274622#6274622)

• 9. Re: raw images

Carroll

Great news on your progress with your raw image format opening in Photoshop Elements 12 Camera Raw dialog. Good job.

The Elements Organizer 12 will allow you to import that .nef image into the Elements Organizer. From there you can go to the Editor Tab at the bottom of the interface, use the tiny triangle to the right of the word Editor to open to the choice of Photo Editor. When you click on Photo Editor, the Camera Raw dialog will open for your selected Elements Organizer nef from the Nikon D3000.

Note: for importing into Elements Organizer - File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/From....and then decide on which From choice.

ATR

• 10. Re: raw images
                            easky Community Member

Sorry for the long delay.. Ment to write you much earlier.. wanted to thank

you for all your help..I still haven't resolved the issue of why I can't

import  raw images from my camera to my desktop computer.. in fact I have

spoken and  paid Adobe for help on this problem.. two times they had access to

my computer  and couldn't figure it out..the last time they copied my

computer settings and  were gong to forward it to someone at Adobe and I am to get

a call back next  week about it.. So we'll see.

BUT I do have a laptop with Windows 7 and I was able to import all the 

images to the photoshop software I loaded on it..so if nothing comes of

figuring  out the problem with the desktop. I do have a fall back position and have

been  listening to U tube tutorials on how to do different things with PS

elements and  so far it's been fun.. time consuming but fun..

So, again thanks for trying to help me out..

Carroll

In a message dated 4/5/2014 9:59:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

Photoshop Elements - View the full  discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6274991#6274991)

• 11. Re: raw images

easky

Thank you for your update. It is much appreciated.

I am hoping that the Adobe Engineers can figure out what is going on with your Photoshop Elements 8/Elements Organizer 8 Camera Raw situation.

I have taken Nikon D3000 nef samples and have successful imported them into the Elements Organizer 8 as well as opened them in Photoshop Elements Full Editor where they opened in the Camera Raw 5.5 dialog. By the way, what version of Camera Raw is currently installed in your Photoshop Elements 8/Elements Organizer 8 setup?

These program challenges bring out the best in us. So, the positive side of things is the learning that you gain in troubleshooting.

We will continue to watch for your progress.

Best wishes

ATR

• 12. Re: raw images
                                easky Community Member

Hey again.. the raw camera version I have installed is 8.0 on my desktop 

computer.. On my laptop computer the version is 8.4.0.199 but when I try and

up  date my desktop computer it comes back as "you have the latest

version"..not  sure why that is.

Carroll

In a message dated 4/11/2014 8:27:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6291321#6291321)

• 13. Re: raw images

Carroll

Please remind me, what version of Photoshop Elements do you have on your desktop computer, the one where you are get notice that Camera Raw 8 is the latest version of Camera Raw? If it is Photoshop Elements 12, then we could consider two remedies

a. wait and see if you will get the opportunity to use Help Menu/Updates to get the Update to 8.4.

or

b. try to install manually Camera Raw 8.4 from the following source (have not tried it).

http://adobe-camera-raw.en.lo4d.com/download/mirror-ex1

Details to be supplied if you want to try this idea.

On the laptop, you appear to have Photoshop Elements 12. And, you say that has camera raw 8.4.0.199.

Now here is the puzzlement for the laptop, my Windows 7 64 bit - Photoshop Elements 12 Camera Raw (latest version) as of this moment is Camera Raw 8.3, not 8.4. But, I have seen online mention of a final version 8.4 released by Adobe for Photoshop and Lightroom.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/08/adobe-camera-raw-8-4-and-lightroom-5-4-now-availab le

Please review and consider and then let me know if you are OK with the information above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: raw images
                                    nealeh Community Member

Help> Updates should have been offering to install 8.4 for several days now.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 15. Re: raw images
                                      nealeh Community Member

easky wrote:

Hey again.. the raw camera version I have installed is 8.0 on my desktop 

computer

Is your desktop running XP or Vista? If so Camera RAW cannot be updated automatically in those versions. If that is the case Reply #12 in the following discussion provides instructions for manually  installing the later versions to PSE12 on XP or Vista - http://forums.adobe.com/message/5959479#5959479#5959479.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 16. Re: raw images

nealeh

As of 11:55 AM April 12, 2014 USA, Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit insists "up to date" at Camera Raw 8.3.

Who do you know? Did you do the Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit Camera Raw Update from 8.3 to 8.4 via the program's Help Menu/Updates, presumed in UK?

ATR

• 17. Re: raw images
                                          nealeh Community Member

Running PSE12.1 on Windows 7 64-bit. Running Help> Updates offered and installed 8.4.0.199 for PSE. PRE, and PS-CS6.

1.png

I don't know whether the country affects the update server used but I would imagine it's a possibility.

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale

• 18. Re: raw images

Carroll

Referring back to my post number 13,

b. try to install manually Camera Raw 8.4 from the following source (have not tried it).

http://adobe-camera-raw.en.lo4d.com/download/mirror-ex1

Details to be supplied if you want to try this idea.

Do not bother with that at this time. I just road tested it. It installs great and works but is not the final version that I thought it would be. It is the beta which is said to expire in May 2014. I would wait a while longer for the real thing. Adobe is all for using Help Menu/Update for the user to get the Camera Raw Update, and it near impossible to find a Camera Raw download for manual install. So, although the know how for a manual install is readily available, the download itself isn't unless you get real luck in a search for it.

Also, the basic how to on the manual install can be found...

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe11-and-12-camera-raw-plug-in-version.html

Keep in mind that the path to the CameraRaw.8bi (CameraRaw 8.4) will be different for 12 than shown. For Premiere Elements 12 and Camera Raw 8.4...

Local Disc C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

Plug-Ins

Elements 12

File Formats

and, in the File Formats Folder, goes the CameraRaw.8bi (Camera Raw 8.4).

Also note in processing the Camera Raw 8.4 update download from the zip folder, the file in STEP 2 that you for Camera Raw 8.4 should be

Adobe Camera Raw8.0ALL-140214161208

and not the one that you were referred to in the Adobe link in post 15. Since my information on Camera Raw 8.4 is based on this beta download, that Adobe file needs confirmation, but the answer will not be the one shown in the Adobe link.

In all your reports to date, I do not recall seeing the computer operating system on which you are running your Premiere Elements 12 (desktop as well as laptop). So, we will be watching to see how your information on that factors in.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: raw images

nealeh

Thanks for the reply. I will report back if and when the Camera Raw 8.4 Update becomes available under my Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Help Menu/Updates.

To confirm. I am working with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit.

You show a screenshot which appears to have come from the Premiere Elements' Help Menu/About Plug-Ins/Camera Raw. Please excuse the question, but I need to ask. "Did you actually get Camera Raw 8.4 to open when you tried to open the raw image format in Photoshop Elements Full Editor?" In the past on different occasions, I have had instances where Camera Raw will appear in the About Plug-Ins and yet can present as Incompatible Version when trying to open a raw image format in that particular version of Camera Raw in a particular version of Photoshop Elements.

Please check out my latest comments to Carroll on this matter.

ATR

• 20. Re: raw images
                                                nealeh Community Member

The screen shot is from my PSE. I don't have an About Plug-Ins in my PRE menu, but I saw it being updated as the same time as the other two applications.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: raw images

nealeh

Sorry about

Premiere Elements' Help Menu/About Plug-Ins/Camera Raw.

That was my typing fingers and thought with a Premiere Elements "driver". There is no Premiere Elements Help Menu/About Plug-Ins/Camera Raw. It should have been typed as Photoshop Elements Help Menu/About Plug-Ins/Camera Raw.

Be that as it may, what is the answer to my just in case question "after you installed the Camera Raw 8.4 Update via the Help Menu/Update process and saw it in the Photoshop Elements 12/Help Menu/About Plug-Ins/Camera Raw", could you open Photoshop Elements 12 and Camera Raw 8.4 by opening a raw image file there (Camera Raw dialog displaying 8.4 in its header)?

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: raw images
                                                    easky Community Member

I am going to try and answer the emails from the first to last..

I have on my desktop XP version 12.0 but when I check the system info it 

says core 12.1 and language 12.0.

I downloaded your link for 8.4 but nothing happened still says 8.0

On the laptop I installed the same PS Elements software that I put on my 

desktop and it says I have 8.4 in camera raw.. The laptop runs Windows 7.

Carroll

In a message dated 4/12/2014 11:50:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6292340#6292340)

• 23. Re: raw images
                                                      easky Community Member

This looks pretty complicated so not sure I want to get this far into it 

yet...My desktop is running windows XP and I'm thinking of getting an new 

desktop since MS is dropping XP..

Carroll

In a message dated 4/12/2014 11:52:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

created by nealeh (http://forums.adobe.com/people/nealeh)  in Photoshop 

Elements - View the full  discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6292426#6292426)

• 24. Re: raw images
                                                        easky Community Member

No I''m in the USA.. and when I try and up date camera raw..it says I am up

to date..at 8.0.. I uploaded  the software from a disc..

In a message dated 4/12/2014 12:01:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6292348#6292348)

• 25. Re: raw images
                                                          easky Community Member

Yeah I do have 8.4 on my laptop running Windows 7 after installing the 

disc..now whether when I installed the software it originally had 8.0 or 8.3

and  then automatically updated to 8.4 I don't know..

In a message dated 4/12/2014 12:15:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6292515#6292515)

• 26. Re: raw images
                                                            easky Community Member

I downloaded this from your earlier email and it still says 8.0 on my 

desktop XP

Carroll

In a message dated 4/12/2014 12:48:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6292492#6292492)

• 27. Re: raw images
                                                              easky Community Member

Ok..

Carroll

In a message dated 4/12/2014 12:55:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6292494#6292494)

• 28. Re: raw images
                                                                easky Community Member

Not sure what screen shot you're referring to

Carroll

In a message dated 4/12/2014 1:32:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/6292650#6292650)

• 29. Re: raw images

Carroll

Thanks for trying to catch up on the email notifications of your thread activity.

To date I have not run into an XP/Vista difference vs 7, 8, and 8.1 for updating Camera Raw. Probably because I do not have Vista and I have not installed Photoshop Elements 12 on XP.

Just to double check, I am going to install Photoshop Elements 12 from the installation disc on Windows XP SP3 64 bit, see what Camera Raw version presents, and then try to update the Camera Raw version found to 8.4.

I will report back with the results in a few hours or sooner.

Thanks.

ATR

• 30. Re: raw images
                                                                    nealeh Community Member

easky wrote:

My desktop is running windows XP

That's your problem. You can't update XP or Vista (automatically) beyond ACR8.0/8.1. So it's either the manual procedure I linked to, use the Adobe DNG converter (http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html#downloads) to convert to Adobe DNG RAW, or update your OS.

Cheers,
                                                                    --
                                                                    Neale

• 31. Re: raw images

Carroll

Referring back to my post numbered 29....now the rest of the very interesting story.

I installed Premiere Elements 12 from installation disc on desktop Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit. It installed with Camera Raw 8. When I went to Help Menu/Updates, there was no offer of any Camera Raw update, but did offer the Adobe Premiere Elements 12.1 Update which I allowed to install and it did so without issue.

Then I removed the Camera Raw 8 from File Formats Folder and replaced it with the Camera Raw 8.4 beta which was the only Camera Raw 8.4 download I could find online. After I did that, Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor showed Camera Raw 8.4 under Help Menu/About Plug-Ins/Camera Raw. And, when I took a Nikon D7100 nef raw image file into Photoshop Elements 12 Full EditorFile Menu/Open, Camera Raw 8.4 dialog appeared with this nef raw image ready for edit there.

After all of the above, I thought to myself "Why bother with looking for an online Camera Raw 8.4 download?"  Use a copy of my laptop's CameraRaw.8bi (v8.4)!!

1. Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit laptop. Go to

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

Plug-Ins

File Formats

and copy the CameraRaw.8bi and transfer it to a USB Flash Drive.

2. Premiere Elements 12 Windows XP 32 bit desktop. Go to

Local Disk C

Program Files

Common Files

Adobe

Plug-Ins

Elements 12

File Formats

and move the Camera Raw.8bi (v8) out from the File Formats Folder and place the CameraRaw.8bi (v8.4) in the Files Formats Folder instead.

That works.

An interesting bit of information. As of this moment 8:42 PM Saturday April 12, 2014 USA,

a. My Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit (laptop) notified me of a Camera Raw 8.4 Update, and I allowed it to update the Camera Raw there from 8.3 to 8.4.

b. My Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit continues to tell me that I have no updates for Camera Raw which is still at 8.3.

In the back of my thoughts....starting with Camera Raw 8.4, is Windows 7 going to fall into the category of XP and Vista where there does not appears to be any more downloads from within the program via its Help Menu/Updates?

Please review and consider. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

ATR

Add On...

Remember you do not need to look onto any other cited procedures. Borrow the CameraRaw.8bi (v8.4) from the laptop and do some replacement in the Windows XP Premiere Elements File Formats Folder.