9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 10:19 AM by Peter Spier

Adobe Dialog

earlvillestu

I just moved from InDesign CS2 to CC. (Forced to, since you can no longer activate CS2.) Is the Adobe Dialog no more, or have I just not been able to find it?

• 1. Re: Adobe Dialog
          Ellis home Level 4

What did you see in the Adobe Dialog?

• 2. Re: Adobe Dialog
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Gone for a long, long, long time.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe Dialog
              earlvillestu Level 1

dialog.jpg

Very useful tool. Is there anything in the current version with equivalent functionality - like the ability to define favorites on the fly and add them to the left hand pane?

• 4. Re: Adobe Dialog
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you still want to use the old version, as a licensed user you are entitiled to download the non-activating version of CS2 from Adobe - CS2 Downloads, but the functionality, once you learn all the new features, is far and away better in the new version -- like switching from a yugo to a porsche.

• 5. Re: Adobe Dialog
                  earlvillestu Level 1

How about switching from a fully functional (and paid for) Ford Focus to an overpriced BMW?

The functionality is "far and away better" if you NEED that functionality. Perhaps you do for the work you do. For me, it's no way worth $50 a month, but I had no choice. There are perhaps six new features (in what, six "major" releases) that have any value at all for me, and collectively they're not worth the money.

But anyway, I found a workaround for the functionality that Adobe removed from the "upgrades."

• 6. Re: Adobe Dialog
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

6 new features since CS2? Sorry, but that's just complete and utter nonsense.

• 7. Re: Adobe Dialog
                      earlvillestu Level 1

Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote:

"There are perhaps six new features (in what, six "major" releases) that have any value at all for me." (emphasis added)

Or perhaps you know better than I do how I use InDesign and what features of it I use, and what features have value for me?

I actually made a list:

CS3

- Multi-file place

- Frame fitting

CS4 - nothing

CS5

- Span columns with paragraph

- Balance columns

- Vertical justification in non-rectangle frames

CS5.5 - nothing

CS6

- Flexible width columns

- Auto resize frame when text added or deleted

CS CC - nothing

Okay, I was wrong. Seven features that are useful to me, not six.

• 8. Re: Adobe Dialog
                        SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One other choice you still have is to get the CS6 perpetual license. There won't be any upgrades to it, but once you buy it there will not be monthly fees.

• 9. Re: Adobe Dialog
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The features I use most that are lacking in CS2 are things like smart guides and single tool selection behaviors that let me quickly and easily postion objects relative to one another (task I used to need the align palette for most fo the time) and switch from selected frame to selected content, or cycling through the mebers of a group with a double-click, and selection persistence for hidden objects. Step and Repeat as a grid is pretty nice, too. These are time savers for me, and they add up to a lot of time over the course of a day.