Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WhiteSmoke? OutFox?

Apr 06, 2014 Apr 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to open a video from IE, I got a message to update Flash Player. After installation the browser brought up White Smoke as the Home page and a sidebar for OutFox. I uninstalled OutFox but could not find WhiteSmoke. Now, whenever I enter anything, I get a separate screen, "Update recommended!", which I am suspicious of and exit from. The first question is, was the Flash Player installation prompt legit or a fake? The second is, how do I get rid of WhiteSmoke? The third is about that Update Recommended prompt. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2014 Apr 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The first question is, was the Flash Player installation prompt legit or a fake?  

It was definitely fake. The ONLY products Adobe ever bundles with Flash Player, Shockwave or Reader are McAffee Security Scan, Norton Security, Google Chrome &Toolbar, and Lightroom 5 [30 day trial (Mac)]

The second is, how do I get rid of WhiteSmoke?

I'd recommend TDSSKiller from Kaspersky. If that can't find it, you may have to do a system restore. If you can't do that, call a local shop to see what they recommend.

The third is about that Update Recommended prompt.

You probably already had "adware" which created the prompt.

As a rule:  if you EVER see an update notice in a webpage or popup, and it leads ANYWHERE that doesn't have "adobe.com" in the address, steer clear of it. Come here and download whatever it's telling you that you need.

I ALWAYS update everything manually, but you're safer updating through the updater for the app or Windows update than from a popup in a webpage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines