36 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2014 7:57 AM by seventhousand RSS

Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

khickok

After being away for 3 months, I attempted to open and use PSE 12 and it does not open.  Today I uninstalled and reinstalled thinking that would help, but it doesn't.  It appears as though it's going to open, but the little "streaming" just stops.  Your assistance in resolving this problem is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
          Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Are you opening the organizer, the editor, the welcome screen? And what is your operating system?

• 2. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
            khickok Community Member

I want to open the editor.  I am using Windows 8.  Are there other files that need to be uninstalled other than the program itself before reinstalling.  I have used PSE for several years and never have had this problem.  Again...my thanks for your time and expertise.

• 3. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
              Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Try reopening the editor while holding down ctrl+alt+shift. Keep the keys down till you see a window asking if you want to delete the settings file. You do.

• 4. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                khickok Community Member

Thanks for the prompt response.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work, but perhaps my timing wasn’t right as to when to hold down ctrlaltshift.  I most certainly appreciate your time and efforts.

• 5. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                  Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Did you not see the window? This won't work if you are using the shortcut and you set the welcome screen to automatically open the editor. You need to do it from the actual .exe file or the button in the organizer or on the welcome screen.

• 6. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                    khickok Community Member

I was using the desktop shortcut (I have always opened all versions of PSE with the shortcut) so I changed it to open with the Editor and now it won’t open at all.   I also clicked to open it as the Administrator and that didn’t help.  As I looked at the PSE folder I didn’t see anything that had the exe. extension.  Now it seems I will have to uninstall again and reinstall.  Is there anything else that needs to be uninstalled that effect PSE?  Sorry for all the trouble.

• 7. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                      Barbara B. CommunityMVP

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. You cannot do this from the shortcut if it is set to open the editor automatically.

In windows 7 and up the .exe is called application instead. Look for that for the file type.

• 8. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                        khickok Community Member

Hello Barbara,

I was unable to open the file by clicking on the application in the folder.  I then uninstalled/reinstalled and still got the same result.  However, I can open the Organizer (which I don’t use).  CtrlaltShift did nothing—I continue to just getting the blue/gray bar scrolling across the bottom, and then it stops.  Before the uninstall I deleted the PSE 12 folder.  Fortunately, I did not delete PSE 11 and that will open.  The only thing I didn’t do was to restart the computer after the uninstall.  I will do that process once again and restart the computer to see if that works.

Thanks for your patience and advice.  With luck I will get this to work!

• 9. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                          khickok Community Member

I uninstalled, deleted file folder, restarted the computer and reinstalled and still can only access the Organizer.  I did the compatibility test and it says Editor is not compatible.  That’s very interesting since I used it before we left for 3 months.  I’m at a loss.

• 10. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                            Little_Pale_Face Community Member

Hi,

Just to add to what Barbara has said, the actual file you want to run is the following [ignore the (x86) if on Windows 8 32 bit)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

In Windows 8 File Explore, find that file, right click on it and select Pin to Taskbar. A new icon will appear on the taskbar.

Now hold the Ctrl, Shift and Alt keys down and then click on the new icon. Keep the three keys held down until you get the question about deleting the settings. You may get the User Access box appear first but still keep the keys down while you ok that.

Good luck

Brian

• 11. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                              jemjig

Did you ever get yours to work.  I have the same issue on a Mac.

I have uninstalled.  Reinstalled.  Just bounces.  Organizer will open but not Editor.

• 12. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                khickok Community Member

Unfortunately…NO!  May just have to revert to PSE 11 although PSE 12 was working just fine in December, but after not using it for 3 months it doesn’t seem to want to cooperate.

• 13. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

Hi,

Did you manage to reset your preferences but the editor still doesn't load?

Do you have plenty of free space on your system disk?

Have you run the error checking tool on the system disk?

Brian

• 14. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                    ProbablyNot Unique

Am chiming in here since I have same problem PE 10 [see thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/5849044#5849044]. Org loads, Ed does not. Use of "settings" & "preferences" alternately is confusing. What is it we are trying to delete or change or create?

• 15. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                      khickok Community Member

I have ample free space on my system disk C and it is analyzed and optimized on a weekly basis.  I did a disk cleanup as well.  Since I can’t open PSE Editor I don’t know how I can reset the preferences.  If there is a way, please let me know.  The one thing I have gotten while going through various stages is that it is not compatible.  I find this so difficult to understand as it was working just fine in December when we left for three months and now doesn’t.

Interestingly, I have received email from other users who seem to have the same problem—Organizer works but Editor doesn’t.  It seems to me we spend a lot of money for something that works for a while and then doesn’t.  I do appreciate your efforts and perseverance.

• 16. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                        A.T. Romano Community Member

khickok

Have you been able to open the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor yet?

If Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor will not open for you, then please try what worked for me. Please see renaming of the SLStore Folder and SLCache Folder. Details are in the following

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6266505#6266505

I was without use of the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor from October 2013 until early April 14, 2014 when I tried what was supposed to be an Adobe rep's Premiere Elements Editor fix. It worked for my Photoshop Elements Full Editor problem.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                          mcrip07

Dear Khickok, I have exactly the same problem, I just want to know if you solved it.

Organizer works and editor not.

I used it constantly from December to April 12, yesterday it stopped.

Thanks if you can give me a hope ....

• 18. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                            khickok Community Member

To date it has not been resolved.  I just received another email regarding Premiere Elements troubleshooting which I haven’t had time to work with.  It’s more detailed and hopefully not “over my head.”   Perhaps one day it will be resolved—I hope!  Apparently numerous people have this same issue, which doesn’t speak well of the products we’re buying.

• 19. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

Hi Khickok,

Please see message #10 above for details of how to reset the editor preferences/settings - if they don't work, please let us know.

Brian

• 20. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                khickok Community Member

Hello Brian,

I have done that process several times and it just doesn’t work.  I have just tried it again and holding down the 3 keys while clicking on the task bar icon does nothing until I release the icon and then a screen pops up that says, “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?”  I say “yes,” but nothing happens.  In all the times I have tried this process I have never had a screen pop up about deleting the settings.

• 21. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

Hi,

I have just tried on my windows 8.1 system and got the dialog box about making changes and I continue to hold down the keys while I click on OK. Then I get this one.

PSE-Editor-Reset.gif

Can you please double check the target folder/application as there are some very similar names around there.

Brian

• 22. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                    khickok Community Member

This response is in reference to A.T. Romano’s suggestion regarding Premiere Elements troubleshooting and “How to delete certain unwanted entries from the hosts file.”  In step 3  I was able to open the Notepad, but nowhere was there a reference to Adobe…  I’m wondering if there is a difference between Premiere Elements 12 and just Photoshop Elements 12?

• 23. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

Brian

I have lost track of your thread in the Photoshop Elements Forum.

But, I just saw an email notification about you post 21.

Deletion of the Photoshop Elements settings file is a common technique for resolving issues that often defy other means of correction. From the sceneshot, it appears you have gone the Ctrl+Alt+Shift route. The next step to get the job done (deletion of the settings file) is to click Yes to the message that you have gotten and determine if the issue is gone.

Based on my personal experience with Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor failing to open while the Elements Organizer 12 had no problems, I would go straight to the fix of renaming the SLStore Folder to SLStoreOLD and renaming the SLCache Folder to SLCacheOLD. That was my major weapon against this issue. If this fails you, then onto the other benigh measures such as deleting the settings file.

Please let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

knickok

The hosts file was not implicated in my particular case where Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor was not involved.

In the early stages of my problem when I was trying any and all troubleshooting suggestions on this (October 2013 to April 2014), Adobe input was to check the hosts file as I have described.

If there is no mention of Adobe, then the input that I got was that the hosts file was "clean".

If your Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor does not open while your Elements Organizer 12 does, then please go directly to the fix where you rename the SLStore Folder to SLStoreOLD and rename the SLCache Folder to SLCacheOLD. That idea was not mine. Its origin is described in the blog post that I cited.

The hosts file is not just a Premiere Elements or just a Photoshop Elements thing. It should apply to both.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

We will be watching your results on this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

khickok

If you use the shortcut to the settings file correctly (a lot of times, it takes practice and timing), you should get the dialog asking for permission to delete the settings file. If you do not get that pop up as a consequence of the Ctrl+Alt+Shift, then you would need to try again or do not use the shortcut and go directly to the settings file to delete it.

Note the path at the top of the screenshot

PSE12Pref.JPG

Your goal is to delete or disable the Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Prefs.psp file. To disable try renaming to Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Prefs.pspOLD. The consequence of this deletion or disabling is observing if the problem went away. With the deletion of the settings file some preferences will probably have to be reset. The following is an older reference, but it gives you the general idea.

http://www.northlite.net/ps/prefs.htm

If all of this is to get the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor to open, then I would go directly to the suggested fix of renaming the SLStore Folder to SLStoreOLD and renaming the SLCache Folder to SLCacheOLD.

Please let us know the outcome.

By the way, please remind me what computer operating system you are running your Photoshop Elements 12 on.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

ATR,

I know how to reset the preferences the normal way, I was just trying to help Khickok by showing that it can be done. I don't have any problem repeating the process like I did on the old XP systems.

I will back out of this thread and let you sort khickok problem.

Brian

• 27. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

Brian

Please remain with the thread.

Resetting of the Photoshop Elements Setting File was an aside to the major issue of the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor not opening while the Elements Organizer 12 would not. I went through so much from October 2013 (when it did work when initially installed and then stopped working suddenly) until April 2014, when a troubleshooting suggestion aimed at a Premiere Elements user, stunned me by working for my long standing Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor situation.

My major target in this thread is to ask those in a similar situation to try this renaming of the SLStore Folder and SLCache Folder to resolve their frustrating Photoshop Elements Full Editor Will Not Open situation. If it does not work for them, then so be it. As I always write, problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. But this particular fix was too good not to share.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                khickok Community Member

Nothing seems to work!  I’ve tried them all to the best of my ability.  I just ran a compatibility check and that seemed to fail. 

In fact PSE 12 won’t even open now.  So, I am going to uninstall it and I’m not sure if I will reinstall.  After not only taking so much of everyone’s time as well as mine, I’m taking a break.  For all of you who have assisted me, you all deserve the highest rating available.  I truly appreciate your efforts.  Thank you all!

• 29. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                  mcrip07 Community Member

Hello everybody,

I tried all the suggested solution, renaming the SLStore Folder to SLStoreOLD and renaming the SLCache Folder to SLCacheOLD, modifying the host file and also deleting settings file  holding down ctrl+alt+shift an cancelling from the conseguent mask.  No way to get Editor running.  I also brought  back the system to a previous configuration  of the last windows update but no change. uninstalled and installed teh program but no way.

I will try as last to access and rename  Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Prefs.psp file...

than I have no other chances. 

My question is : are we sure that it is due to Photoshop elemnts problem and not to any windows

problem maybe comng from a update ?

Ciao !

• 30. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                    Tx10pt

I am having a similar problem. I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 & Adobe Premiere Elements as a download yesterday. Both seemed to work fine yesterday. Today when I try to Photoshop from the desktop icon the program starts then bounces off and will not open.

• 31. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                      mcrip07 Community Member

No way,  I did all what suggested and other tentatives , it doesn't work.   .....

• 32. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                        mcrip07 Community Member

Anyway just a question... Adobe support is ONLY the commnity ???  is there any real SUPPORT center we can access? ?

• 33. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                          mcrip07 Community Member

As far as I understood it seemd happen in the last weeks, is tehre any Windows update that create the problem ??

• 34. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

mcrip07

Hoping that you get a break through in your troubleshooting. Do not give up. I kept searching and searching for an answer to my Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor not opening while the Elements Organizer 12 would. I have reams of data from October 2013 to April 2014 troubleshooting of the issue. Everything pointed to an activation issue but I could never target the place to fix until my break through came unexpectedly. And, as I found out, the SLStore Folder and SLCache Folder have "something" to do with activation according to the Adobe person who put forth what turned out to be the solution for me. Based on my encounter with this problem, I would say Windows No, Photoshop Elements activation Yes.

If you right click Computer, select Manage, followed by Event Viewer, Windows Logs, and Application, do you see any errors or information listed that could relate to this matter?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for following up on the suggestions. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 35. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                              mcrip07 Community Member

I am not a technician so I can't go too deep in the analysis... I did all I could imagine to do, I would like that somebody from Adobe would take care of this issue finding solution to the problem.

Inviato da smartphone Sony Xperia™

-

A.T. Romano ha scritto -

>     

>Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?

>created by A.T. Romano in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

>mcrip07

>Hoping that you get a break through in your troubleshooting. Do not give up. I kept searching and searching for an answer to my Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor not opening while the Elements Organizer 12 would. I have reams of data from October 2013 to April 2014 troubleshooting of the issue. Everything pointed to an activation issue but I could never target the place to fix until my break through came unexpectedly. And, as I found out, the SLStore Folder and SLCache Folder have "something" to do with activation according to the Adobe person who put forth what turned out to be the solution for me. Based on my encounter with this problem, I would say Windows No, Photoshop Elements activation Yes.

>If you right click Computer, select Manage, followed by Event Viewer, Windows Logs, and Application, do you see any errors or information listed that could relate to this matter?

>We will be watching for your progress.

>Thanks for following up on the suggestions. Much appreciated.

>ATR

>     

>Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6295113#6295113

>     

>Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6295113#6295113

>     

>To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6295113#6295113. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.      

>     

>Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements at Adobe Community

>For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 36. Re: Why won't Photoshop Elements 12 open?
                                                                                seventhousand

I (MacBook OSX 10.7.5) JUST installed PE12 (legal, paid download) and everything seemed to go well but all I can run is the Organizer. I then managed to download a trial copy of PE10 and that totally works. In my system report/software folder PE Organizers 10 and 12 appear, both function, PE10 editor  functions but the PE12 app starts to launch then just stalls with only Photoshop Elements and no other items in menu bar on Mac -

BREAKING NEWS - there i san update I am downloading - film at 11