6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 12:52 AM by John_Picton

Can I apply a mask to a layer style? - With answer!

John_Picton Level 3

I don't know if I should post this as in framing the question for posting here it made me think of another option which solved my problem. As I said I wasn't going to post anything but then thought it might be of use to somebody else. I have mentioned my solution at the end.

I am working on a composite (purely for fun and personal learning) and have come up against a bit of a wall on something.

I have placed a figure in the composite and used a layer mask to blend the back half of the figure into the background as in this image.

Without Drop.jpg

Then I added a red drop shadow to the layer to give a glow as in this image.

With Drop.jpg

However I don't want the shadow to be applied to the back of the figure and would like to blend that part of the figure in to the background as well. The area I am talking about is here.

With Drop 2.jpg

I have tried the following:

Applying the Layer mask and then trying to convert the layer to a smart object.

This gives a completely wild effect.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

John

As I said earlier - I worked this one out, However I would still be interested to hear of any other solutions, or if indeed the way I did it was the best way.

What I did is create a group out of the single layer that had the mask and the layer effects and then applied a layer mask to the group (I never knew you could do that). As I said this is for me to learn, in that respect it has worked so far!.

Here is the final result.

final.jpg

Oh and another thing I did (and I cant believe I didn't think of this before) was to create an action that created a new image from the contents of the clipboard and associated it with the f11 key. Such a simple solution to something that has bugged me for ages. As I said I can believe I didn't think of it before!