6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 10:10 AM by A.T. Romano

all video fomats import as pixelized or audio only

wayofriver

The video was recorded on a gopro camera and is an H 264 format with an extension of mp4

When I import the file as is, it comes in as just an audio file

I have also tried avi and mov (renamed the extension)  - both of those import with the video but is pixelized

What do I need to do to bring the files in properly?

I am using PE version 12.0

Forgive me as I am a new user and don't know much about codecs

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: all video fomats import as pixelized or audio only
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may need to convert... read below

GoPro http://forums.adobe.com/message/4486784

-below says Mac (Win process should be the same) but even GoPro says to convert to edit

-http://gopro.com/how-to-prepare-video-files-for-editing-apple-mac/

-use to convert http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio/

• 2. Re: all video fomats import as pixelized or audio only
            A.T. Romano Level 7

wayofriver

You should not be having any problems importing a H.264.mp4 file into Premiere Elements 12.

What is the name of the GoPro camera that you are using and what are your camera settings for recording?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12? Are you running the program Run As Administrator as well as from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

I would not consider file conversion at this point. More details of your situation should direct the path to the solving this issue.

Also, please include what you or the program are setting as the project preset to match the properties of your source media. If you do not know, please let us know the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields appear to be grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: all video fomats import as pixelized or audio only
              wayofriver Level 1

The camera is GoPro Hero3 Black Edition

recording in 4k CIN 12 fps

Computer OS is Win8

CPU - 2.4 ghz

Ram - 8 gb

UAC is on - I will turn it off to see if that helps

Also, I am log in as an admin but did not start program as admin - I will try that too

I have QT version 7.7.5

I pulled up on of the files and selected movie inspector  -insterted a  screen shot below.

I have tried various project settings and to be honest, the settings are over my head so I don't even rememeber what I selected.  I know I selected DSLR 1080p24 and AVCHD 1080p60...both had the same resluts

Also I converted the file to an avi file using GoPro's Studio.  The video still comes in pixelized. 

I noticed the video is jumpy when played in GoPro's Studio when playback is set to Best (Full Res) but better when set to draft.  Could it be I don't have enough memory?

Thanks again for your help

2014-04-06_1400.png

• 4. Re: all video fomats import as pixelized or audio only
                A.T. Romano Level 7

wayofriver

The answer is that you are using 4K video from the GoPro Hero3 Black Edition. For the 4K to work in Premiere Elements you would need to convert the video by all accounts. You probably would be OK with 2.7K, but not 4K.

Here is a recent Adobe Premiere Elements Forum discussion on 4K editing with Premiere Elements 12. Please check out in particular Hunt's comment (post 3 in that thread) which goes to 4K conversion that he used successful for his Premiere Elements 11 work. Premiere Elements 11 and 12 would be expected to give the same type of results.

Please review and consider and then let us know what worked or did not work for you. You might record some 2.7K footage and try to edit that un-converted footage with Premiere Elements 12 as a control for the 4K footage.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: all video fomats import as pixelized or audio only
                  wayofriver Level 1

Yes, this worked like a charm.  Thank you so much.  I could not figure out how to covert to 27K (yet) so I selected 1080p and it worked.  Now that I understand a little more about about the GoPro recording options, I changed it to 2.7K and will try that out on my next adventure. 

Again Thank you very much for your help

• 6. Re: all video fomats import as pixelized or audio only
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

wayofriver

Thanks for the follow up information about your progress with Premiere Elements. Sounds good.

We will be looking forward to further developments with your looking into the full potential of your GoPro videos.

2.7K and 4.7K are resolution sizes for these videos and often the question comes up about what their camera manufacturers are using for video compression and file wrapping format.

When you get a chance, please take a look at your GoPro Hero 3 Black video choice with the Premiere Elements 12 project presets for AVCHD/QFHD choices (3840 x 2160 - 4.7K) as well as the Publish+Share/Computer/XAVC-X exports for that type of video.

Looking forward to your results when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR