3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 8:49 PM by jocelyn_at_tuundra

Do you ever use the Ignore Sequence Rendering Errors preference? If so, why?

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There is a hidden Ignore Sequence Rendering Errors preference in After Effects that is untested, unsupported, and potentially dangerous to your rendered video---but still maybe useful in some rare cases. If you ever use this preference, tell us here why.

This preference makes After Effects continue rendering an image sequence, even when errors are encountered that would otherwise stop the render. Of course, this means that you'll end up with bad frames... but maybe you're OK with some bad frames that you can patch later, as long as the render continues for the remaining frames.

If you do ever use this preference, note that any time that you need to do so, you should also be submitting a bug report so that we know about the errors that you're encountering and can look into fixing them.

• 1. Re: Do you ever use the Ignore Sequence Rendering Errors preference? If so, why?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never had the time to go back and look for then fix bad frames. I use image sequences the lot because if the render breaks, I have a very easy point to start looking for the problem.

I also use sequences a lot because it's very easy to change only 10 or 15 frames if the client needs some revisions. One other note, I did not even know this option was available so I would not miss it if it went away.

A feature that would be more useful to me would be to have the broken render not kill other items in the queue.

• 2. Re: Do you ever use the Ignore Sequence Rendering Errors preference? If so, why?
            Arivl Level 1

I have absolutely used this, and at times it's been a life-saver!  The principle use case is this:

Tight deadline, late night.  Delivery is tomorrow.  I've got a complex composite with a number of layers (maybe 4k r3ds) and I'm going to render a dpx image sequence overnight.  It's going to take several hours.   Sometimes the render fails because a 3rd party plug in (say something from Re:Vision or Cycore) throws an error randomly every now and then.

If I chose Ignore Sequence Rendering Errors, maybe I'll get a bad frame or two, which I can patch in the morning.  But at least 99% of the render is done.  If the render crashes and it stops in the middle of the night.  I'm up a creek.

Very useful feature which I don't use often, but comes in very handy when I need it.

Cheers,

Ari

• 3. Re: Do you ever use the Ignore Sequence Rendering Errors preference? If so, why?
              jocelyn_at_tuundra

We use it for our new network rendering software. We use it through scripting.

Like both have said, it is better to have a full sequence rendered with a frame or two bads, than having almost no frame after a not so "full after all rendering night"

Thanks

Jocelyn Tremblay