9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2007 4:23 AM by Newsgroup_User

Strange problem with linking to external vob-file

miche_r Level 1
      I have a strange problem with linking to external vob-file. I have created a link using BudApi:

on mouseup
      set OK = baOpenFile ( the pathname & "Files\General\Video\VTS_01_1.VOB", "normal")
      end

This code opens mpg-videos correctly, but nothing happens when I try to open vob-files with the same code. The strangest thing is that when I change the default program for vob-files to WinDVD this code works and the file opens, but when I change the default program to Nero Showtime this code doesn't do anything (when I open the file 'manually' from the folder, it opens correctly on Nero Showtime). My client uses Nero Showtime, so I really would appreciate any help on this one.
        • 1. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
          Level 7
          Buddy API's baOpenFile() returns a value. If you examine the value
          returned it can provide useful info. Start with the following and check
          the docs for what various numbers mean:
          > on mouseup
          > set OK = baOpenFile ( the pathname & "Files\General\Video\VTS_01_1.VOB",
          > "normal")
          alert OK
          > end
          • 2. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
            miche_r Level 1
            When using Nero Showtime as a default program, the error code is 31, "There is no application associated with the given filename". When using some other program as a default program for vob-files, the code is 42 and everything works correctly.
            • 3. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
              Level 7
              > When using Nero Showtime as a default program, the error code is 31, "There is
              > no application associated with the given filename".

Which suggests that something has gone wrong with file associations. If
              you double-click one of these files in an Explorer window does it fire
              up Showtime and open the file?
              • 4. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
                miche_r Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                > When using Nero Showtime as a default program, the error code is 31, "There is
                > no application associated with the given filename".

Which suggests that something has gone wrong with file associations. If
                you double-click one of these files in an Explorer window does it fire
                up Showtime and open the file?

Yes, the file opens correctly in Nero Showtime when double-clicking it in an Explorer. I tried the file associations and created a html-page with a link to the vob-file, and the html-link opens the vob-file correcly with Nero Showtime. My client reported this problem, so it's not just my computer which is having this problem.

• 5. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
                  Level 7
                  > Yes, the file opens correctly in Nero Showtime when double-clicking it in an
                  > Explorer. I tried the file associations and created a html-page with a link to
                  > the vob-file, and the html-link opens the vob-file correcly with Nero Showtime.
                  > My client reported this problem, so it's not just my computer which is having
                  > this problem.

So what does baFindApp("vob") report on the machine with Showtime installed?
                  • 6. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
                    Level 7
                    temes wrote:
                    >
                    quote:

>> When using Nero Showtime as a default program, the error code is 31,
                    >> "There is no application associated with the given filename".
                    >
                    > Which suggests that something has gone wrong with file associations.
                    > If
                    > you double-click one of these files in an Explorer window does it fire
                    > up Showtime and open the file?
                    >

>
                    > Yes, the file opens correctly in Nero Showtime when double-clicking
                    > it in an Explorer. I tried the file associations and created a
                    > html-page with a link to the vob-file, and the html-link opens the
                    > vob-file correcly with Nero Showtime. My client reported this
                    > problem, so it's not just my computer which is having this problem.

If you open a command prompt, do you get an association listed like this
                    example for .txt files:

C:\>assoc .txt
                    .txt=txtfile

C:\>ftype txtfile
                    txtfile="D:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadLite\EditPadLite.exe" "%1"

?

Andrew

• 7. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
                      miche_r Level 1
                      quote:

> Yes, the file opens correctly in Nero Showtime when double-clicking it in an
                      > Explorer. I tried the file associations and created a html-page with a link to
                      > the vob-file, and the html-link opens the vob-file correcly with Nero Showtime.
                      > My client reported this problem, so it's not just my computer which is having
                      > this problem.

So what does baFindApp("vob") report on the machine with Showtime installed?

It reports C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero ShowTime\ShowTime.exe - and that's the right path to the exe.
                      • 8. Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
                        miche_r Level 1
                        quote:

If you open a command prompt, do you get an association listed like this
                        example for .txt files:

.txt=txtfile

txtfile="D:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadLite\EditPadLite.exe" "%1"

?

Andrew

I get

.txt=txtfile

txtfile=%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1

for vob-files I get

C:\>assoc .vob
                        .vob=NeroShowTime.Files

C:\>ftype NeroShowTime.Files
                        File type 'NeroShowTime.Files' not found or no open command associated with it.
                        • 9. Re: Strange problem with linking to external vob-file
                          Level 7
                          temes wrote:
                          > I get
                          >
                          > C:\>assoc .txt
                          > .txt=txtfile
                          >
                          > C:\>ftype txtfile
                          > txtfile=%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1

Oops - I meant to imply to try it with .vob instead of .txt

assoc .vob

Andrew