5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 5:56 AM by Rick Gerard

replace solid with shape?

Arrakis Level 1

I have a solid with some expressions and effects etc on it and I want to replace it with a shape layer so I dont have to start again but I cant find a a way to do it.  If I create a shape it doesnt show in the project panel like solids do for some reason so I cant alt drag it onto the solid.  The reason I want to replace it is becauase I want to use the built in effects that the shapes layer has such as trim paths etc.   Is there a way to do this? 

• 1. Re: replace solid with shape?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Do it the other way around: Save the effects, expressions and anaimation as an animation preset and apply it to the shape layer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: replace solid with shape?
            Arrakis Level 1

Ok thanks.   Also i noticed when I create a shape from an illustrator layer it doesnt keep the graphic styles or clipping masks etc. Is there a way to convert this information?
            at Im trying to do is make my 3D layers fly on from different directions and land in place.  wiggle transform seems to be a good way which is why I wanted to use shape layers.  But now I see I cannot do this with a textured illustrator file as that information isnt translated.   Whats the best way to make a bunch of textured layers fly in without having to keyframe every single one?

• 3. Re: replace solid with shape?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ok thanks.   Also i noticed when I create a shape from an illustrator layer it doesnt keep the graphic styles or clipping masks etc. Is there a way to convert this information?

No. That's inherent in the process. If you want this, you'd have to use the AI file as it is or rebuild al lthe stuff natively inside AE. the rest is too vague and I'm afraid you are getting too worked up on that vector thing. As far as AE is concverned a layer is a layer and there is no requirement whatsoever for them to be shape layers otehr than perhaps a better sharpness and quality with vector artwork. Otherwise simple nested comps will do just fine, though you should get used to the fact that you will have to use some keyframes to get them to do what you want them to do. Whether those are on expression parameters for a wiggle() or on the layer's transform properties directly to me makes not much of a difference.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: replace solid with shape?
                Arrakis Level 1

But if I have say 50 layers and I want them to fly in from different directions how do I do this the most simple way without keyframing the positions separately?     With shape layers I could use the wiggle transform but shape layers are limited to the way they look. 

• 5. Re: replace solid with shape?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have 50 layers that you want to fly off in different directions you have to either animate each layer's position by hand or write an expression that uses the index value of the layer to control the direction of movement. It might be easier to just pre-compose the entire set of layers and apply Shatter or use something like Card Dance.