2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 2:14 AM by [Jongware]

Why won't InDesign open its own .indd file on iMac?

gaabib

I have InDesign CS5.5 on an iMac OS 10.7.5 - I created an .indd file about a month ago on this machine, using this version of InDesign.  This machine is not networked, the file has no links in it, no images and is only 1.3MB in size. 

InDesign won't open the file and this is the message I get when I try to open it:

"Cannot open the file "odes_PRINT.indd".  Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, o the file may be open in another application."

No other programs were open,the file was not open in another application and presumably, InDesign ought to support its own file format and not require special plugins to do so. No one but me has been in that file.

I've tried restarting the program and the machine, deleting and replacing preferences and renaming the file.  It seems like this happened to me once before a few years ago with an earlier version and I believe I had to scrap that indd file.  I could rebuild this file as it's just all text, not that big and I have the text in a plain text file BUT I want to know why this happens and what to do about it. I make large files for clients, this is a small client file that I can easily rebuild but some I can't and can't afford to have this happen again.

I've been googling this problem all evening and I'm out of ideas - anyone else got any?

• 1. Re: Why won't InDesign open its own .indd file on iMac?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would suppose that you saved something else with the extensian .INDD than an InDesign file. Either another file type or a corrupted INDD file.

Look into the file with a text editor to see if this is really an INDD file, compare the size of the file it it is around the same size as others with similar content.

Make a copy of that file, exchange the extension with other possible extensions like IDML, PDF, EPUB, and others.

• 2. Re: Why won't InDesign open its own .indd file on iMac?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Try my script in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934429 -- it will tell you if it's an InDesign file or not.

If it tells you it is, the file must be internally damaged beyond repair. (And then you've lost it. Yes, it happens.)

If it tells you it is not, then ... well, then it is not a native InDesign file. At that point you need to retrace your steps: what did you do when you thought you were "saving" it? (As it is, in fact, impossible to use "save" in InDesign and not save 'as' an InDesign file.) What other file type could you have used? Do you ever manually or automatically rename files?

Needless to say, if it is no longer an InDesign file (never mind what the file extension says), then you cannot open it in InDesign anyway. But if you know what type of file it is, you can open it with the appropriate software (e.g. a JPEG viewer or an RTF reader) and see what's in it.