11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2014 11:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac

Vicktoria_H

This has been happening for quite some time now. 

I have tried saving as flv and mpg to avoid the problem but it still crashes.

Is there a solution.  I am running OSX 10.9.2

I have verified the disk and permissions to no avail. 

I have a project that I need to finish.

• 1. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What exactly is happening and when?

Movie Menus only apply if you are creating a DVD, a BluRay or a WebDVD. Why are you outputting as an MPEG and FLV?

What model of camcorder is your original footage coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you add your video to your timeline in Timeline mode, do you see a red line alone the top of the timeline, above the clips? This indicates that you did not properly set up your project to match your video.

What are your Project Properties, as listed under the Edit menu?

It might also help to know the hardware specs of your computer.

• 2. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
            Vicktoria_H Level 1

Thank you for your response

1. What exactly is happening and when?

When I have finished editing the movie and ready to add a disc menu so that it can be played on DVD.  Disc Menu is selected and when I try to drag it across the error occurs and it shuts down the program

Movie Menus only apply if you are creating a DVD, a BluRay or a WebDVD. Why are you outputting as an MPEG and FLV? I output as an MPEG and FLV to add to the internet and to keep as files for future use.

What model of camcorder is your original footage coming from and what format and resolution is it? I am importing an mov file which I have made a slideshow from in Slideshow Pro.  I have been using the same process for over a year and it has only started happening in about 4 months ago.

When you add your video to your timeline in Timeline mode, do you see a red line alone the top of the timeline, above the clips? This indicates that you did not properly set up your project to match your video.  No red line

What are your Project Properties, as listed under the Edit menu?

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 8.19.34 am.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 8.20.03 am.png

It might also help to know the hardware specs of your computer.

MacBook Pro -

Processor  2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

• 3. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Vicktoria_H

Some of my questions may be a repeat, but I do not want to take anything for granted...

1. What version of Premiere Elements Mac are you using?

2. What specific disc menu(s) have been involved in this issue where application of a disc menu in the Disc Menu section of the program results in crash?

3. How many menu markers are on the Timeline (and what kind, how many main menu markers, scene markers, and stop markers)...how are the spaced? What is this project headed for - DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

4. What is the size and duration of the Timeline content when you get to Disc Menus?

Are you working from User Account with Administrative Priviledges (and if available on Mac, Run As Administrator)?

Do you have the latest verison of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                Vicktoria_H Level 1

What version of Premiere Elements Mac are you using?

Adobe Premiere Elements 9

2. What specific disc menu(s) have been involved in this issue where application of a disc menu in the Disc Menu section of the program results in crash?

All disc menus

3. How many menu markers are on the Timeline (and what kind, how many main menu markers, scene markers, and stop markers)...how are the spaced? What is this project headed for - DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

From 0 to 5, it doesn't make a difference, still crashed.  I am preparing for a DVD

4. What is the size and duration of the Timeline content when you get to Disc Menus?

Again that varies but no more than 5 minutes

Are you working from User Account with Administrative Priviledges (and if available on Mac, Run As Administrator)?

Yes

Do you have the latest verison of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements?

Yes

• 5. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Vicktoria_H

Thanks for the additional information

Premiere Elemens 9 on Mac...have we determined if you are working from the 9.0.1 Update? If not, please do so.

Have you deleted the Premiere Elements preferences file to determine if that deletion has any impact on the issue?

I believe that path to that file should be

Users

User Name

Library

Application Support

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Version Number

and, then in the Version Number Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

After you restart the computer and open Premiere Elements, is the issue gone?

Is the above what you did when you said

I have verified the disk and permissions to no avail. 

Also what is your Scratch Disk set up...

Captured Video

Video Previews

Audio Previews

Media Cache

Disc Encoding

are they all directed to a computer location where there is enough free space to accept them?

Have you determined if you have a pile up previews files, conformed audio, and conformed video files?

Have you attempted to uninstall reinstall the program since the problem started 4 months ago?

If all else fails, I would suggest deactivation within the program, uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall.

https://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

Aside note.....

You say a project preset of 720p25 (1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second). Does that match the properties of what you are importing into the Timeline for its 5 minute content?

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                    Vicktoria_H Level 1

I have followed the instruction above.  Downloaded and installed the update and it still crashes.

• 7. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Vicktoria_H

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better.

We have 2 avenues to pursue.

a. Get free new download files for your Premiere Elements 9 Mac and insert your purchased serial number into it.

(After Premiere Elements 9 Mac install, make sure to install the 9.0.1 Update.)

You can obtain these files from the following web site. But it is critical that you follow carefully the "Note: Very Important Instructions" on that web page in order to avoid Access Denied messages.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-9-premiere-elements-9-direct-download-links.h tml

b. For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Mac from Adobe and determine if that works for you completely.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                        Vicktoria_H Level 1

I rang Adobe and they gave one time concession as the deactivation does not work, I get a message that I need to log in as the admin which is already the case.

I rang Apple Care and they checked out my settings etc and they were fine.

I uninstalled using the uninstaller  downloaded the files and update.  It still crashes as I try to access the disk menu.

I then downloaded Elements 12 and the same thing happened at the same point.

This is so annoying as I need to use the program.

Any suggestions of an alternative program similar to Elements.

• 9. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Vicktoria_H

Thanks for the update with your latest results.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, keeping that in mind...

1. Have you looked at the Mac's iMovie and iDVD to get your project done?

2. With regard to Premiere Elements as your video editor...if you are running into the same problem with both Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and 12/12.1 on the same Mac computer, that suggests to me that the core of the problem is in the computer. In Windows, I would start exploring Run As Administrator AND running from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Both Premiere Elements and QuickTime (a Premiere Elements requirement) require that Administrative permission. If you say that your User Account panel shows your user account with the Administrator label, then I would explore the counterpart for the Windows Run As Administrator which can be applied by right clicking the Windows program's desktop icon and selecting Run As Administrator.

What did Apple Care look for in the settings....just the classic Apple Mac settings or those which would include the Premiere Elements permission requirements?

Perhaps, the next Premiere Elements Mac step might be to create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges, install and try to run Premiere Elements there.

Right now, I suspect the answer to be in the Mac permissions.

Please review and consider and let us know of your progress when you get the time.

Thanks you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                            pharmacy_guy

Vicktoria,

I have the same problem.  My adobe premiere elements 12 freezes as soon as I try to add menus to my project.  I was able to fix the problem by two steps:  1) Run the program as administrator in Windows 8.1   2) Start a brand new project and add menu.  3) open you previous project and adding menus now works!

I don't know that step 1 is necessary (I will try and confirm this after my project completes its rendering).  Some how opening the tool to add menus in a new project seemed to fix whatever problem was occurring.

I hope this help,

Corey

• 11. Re: Premiere elements crashing when adding disc menu on a mac
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Corey

Recently we had a rough troubleshooting case with another Premiere Elements user regarding the disc menus. And, the key resolution was to assure that Run As Administrator was in effect besides the user running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Starting a new project when the original project is problematic is always an important first step whatever the problem issue.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am not certain what is the Mac counterpart of the Windows Run As Administrator. According to Vicktoria_H, Premiere Elements Mac user, the Administrative angle on this seems to have been looked at. And, new project and new version did not resolve the issue.

We have presented several lines of troubleshooting for Vicktoria_H , including the Administrator aspects of the matter, but unfortunately the last post from this user was April 11, 2014 and no outcome has been posted as of today June 15, 2014.

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

ATR