6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 11:10 AM by TᴀW

LEADING VALUES

whcraft Level 1

I am using ID CS5.  When checking leading values I notice sometimes they are in parentheses and other times they are not.  What does it mean when the value is shown in parentheses?

leading value.gif

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Billy

• 1. Re: LEADING VALUES
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It means the leading is set to automatic and will change if you change the size of the type.

• 2. Re: LEADING VALUES
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It means that the text is set to "auto-leading", meaning that it is simply a multiple of point size. So if you increase the point size of the text, the leading will increase accordingly.

In your case, auto-leading is set at 120%. So your 10pt text is given 12pt leading.

To get rid of it, just type a fixed number in the leading field and parentheses will go away.

The auto-leading percentage is something you can set in the Preferences.

It is usually best to avoid auto-leading in good typography. The one place where it can be useful is if you have an inline object (some graphic in the middle of the text). If you apply auto-leading to it, InDesign will make sufficient space in the text for it. If the leading is set to a fixed value, the graphic risks hiding the text above it.

• 3. Re: LEADING VALUES
              whcraft Level 1

Thanks as always Peter.

• 4. Re: LEADING VALUES
                whcraft Level 1

Thanks Ariel.

• 5. Re: LEADING VALUES
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

[Ariel] wrote:

The auto-leading percentage is something you can set in the Preferences.

Correction -- baseline grids can be set in the Preferences (but also in Text Frame Options).

The Auto Leading percentage can be changed in Justification, under Paragraph Options and Paragraph Styles:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30d2a5051004d659b1c-7fe7a.ht ml

It is usually best to avoid auto-leading in good typography. The one place where it can be useful is if you have an inline object (some graphic in the middle of the text). If you apply auto-leading to it, InDesign will make sufficient space in the text for it. If the leading is set to a fixed value, the graphic risks hiding the text above it.

I use Auto Leading all the time for precisely this reason. Any 'weird' object or construction (and I have lots of those, in my branch of typesetting) may need more spacing. But naturally, I calculate the Auto percentage such that the default leading is exactly what one would want for the associated text point size.

• 6. Re: LEADING VALUES
                    TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

[Jongware] wrote:

Correction -- baseline grids can be set in the Preferences (but also in Text Frame Options).

The Auto Leading percentage can be changed in Justification, under Paragraph Options and Paragraph Styles:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30d2a505 1004d659b1c-7fe7a.html

You're right, of course.

. But naturally, I calculate the Auto percentage such that the default leading is exactly what one would want for the associated text point size.

Excellent idea. Don't know why I never thought of that. Could be very useful in sticking to the baseline grid even with inline objects. Looking forward to giving it a try...