3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2007 9:26 AM by Newsgroup_User

Thousands of files!

Rob Miller Level 1
      Hi there,

I have a problem with Fireworks 8 on my Mac G5.

I have an image that has 60 'buttons' on it that show a small changeable image when the cursor goes over the 'button' - each changeable image is on a different layer and there are 60 of them.
      I designed this file a couple of years ago and when I exported it (via image preview), so Dreamweaver could place it into a web page, about 300 small images were created and everything was fine - the total was no more than 1.5 meg which is fine for my needs.

However, recently I had to edit a few of the small images, which I did, and then when I exported the file, it produced 10,695 images at a combined size of 49meg!! Way too much and slows everything down.
      I didn't change anything and the export options are as follows (the same as before)

Export : HTML and images
      HTML: Export HTML file
      Slices: Export slices

Selected slices only - no
      Include Areas without slices - yes

I have tried every change but nothing seems to work. I am at a complete loss.
      This has also happened on a few other files - exactly the same - when I used to get a couple of hundred images, I now get thousands.

Anyone got any ideas??
      Thanks in advance if you do! ;-)

Rob
        • 1. Re: Thousands of files!
          abeall Level 3
          Wow, 300 is a lot of slices! Is this spread across more than one frame? Try unchecking "Include Areas without slices". That generates a lot of unecessary slices, thought I've never seen a number as big as 10K!
          • 2. Re: Thousands of files!
            Rob Miller Level 1
            Thanks for that Abeall - I got it down to 5,600 files!
            I know what everyone is thinking and yes it does sound a bit mad but I have been working like this for years and it has always worked! It's just that recently Fireworks has been creating thousands of files rather than a couple of hundred. I don't have 'share across frames' on any layer and usually there aren't that many layers.
            I'm going to re-install the programme as I suspect something has gone wrong inside.
            For my current project I'm going to use the old faithful javascipt as a compromise!
            Cheers
            Rob
            • 3. Re: Thousands of files!
              Level 7
              Rob Miller wrote:
              > Thanks for that Abeall - I got it down to 5,600 files!
              > I know what everyone is thinking and yes it does sound a bit mad but I have
              > been working like this for years and it has always worked! It's just that
              > recently Fireworks has been creating thousands of files rather than a couple of
              > hundred. I don't have 'share across frames' on any layer and usually there
              > aren't that many layers.
              > I'm going to re-install the programme as I suspect something has gone wrong
              > inside.
              > For my current project I'm going to use the old faithful javascipt as a
              > compromise!
              > Cheers
              > Rob
              >
              Do you have overlapping slices? If you do, that could be the problem.
              If 2 slices overlap, FW will generate THREE slices (at least) to make
              the area function in a table.

Zoom in to at lest 150% and double check to see if you have any slices
              that overlap each other.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver