7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 8:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Make the menu play button default

MarkYorns Level 1

PE11.  I am ready to burn a project to disc.  I am using the Menu Theme Extreme from the Sports category.  When I PreviewDisc, the Scene Selection is the default, not the Play Movie button.  Is there a way to change that?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Make the menu play button default
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MarkYorns

What is the menu marker situation on the Timeline?

Just in case note....these disc menu are a set of main menu and scene menu.....

If you have no menu markers on the Timeline and apply the Extreme disc menu, all you will have is the main menu page with just the Play Movie button.

Once you add scene markers to the Timeline, Extreme will have main menu page and scene menu page

a. The main menu will now have a Play Movie button and Scene Selection Button. Once you click on Scene Selection Button of the main menu page you will see the scene menu page.

Not sure what you mean by

When I PreviewDisc, the Scene Selection is the default, not the Play Movie button.

They are both there to choose from. I do not see a "default situation". If you do not want to see Scene Selection button, I can tell you how to get rid of it from the main menu page, but then how is the viewer to get to the Scene Selection page.

The other side of the coin is if you do not have scene markers on the Timeline, you will not see the Scene Selection Button in the main menu in the first place.

Consequently, please give more details so that we are sure that we are in sync on your issue and what needs to be done.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Make the menu play button default
            MarkYorns Level 1

I have three sections to the video - a video montage, a slide show, and another video montage - in that order.  When someone chooses play, I want the first two sections to play.  I want the third secion to play only if someone chooses it from the main menu, or if they pick it from the scene selection screen.

So my menu marker situation - I have three scene markers, one stop marker and one main menu marker.  At the start of each section I have a scene marker.  At the end of the second section, I have a stop marker.  At the beginning of the third section I have a scene marker and a menu marker.  I think this layout should give me the results I described above.

In the Disc Preview, the main menu shows buttons for Play Movie, Scene Selection and my third section as I hoped.  However, the Scene Selection has a red carrot next to it - so it is the default.  The Play Movie should have the red carrot next to it.  If someone starts the DVD and hits enter, the movie should play.  It should not go to the Scene Selection.

So just to see what would happen, I burnt the project to DVD.  The Scene Selection was the default, as shown in DiscPreview.  And I notice another issue.  When I hit Play Movie the first two sections played as expected, but so did the third section.  The movie did not stop at the stop marker and go back to the main menu. 

I hope that better explains my first issue.  Maybe that will shed some light on the second issue?

• 3. Re: Make the menu play button default
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MarkYorns

Important question before continuing...what are you burning to....

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

AVCHD format on DVD disc

or

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

You mention DVD. So that leaves DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Make the menu play button default
                A.T. Romano Level 7

MarkYorns

That is very bad news. Stop markers will not function in the playback of Premiere Elements (any version) AVCHD format on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disk. Stop markers function only in the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc playback.

This is a serious blow to your "bonus item" project. No way to get that stop marker function in Premiere Elements under the conditions described.

Some try to export the Timeline content to file saved to the computer hard drive and then use the file in a 3rd party software for stop marker functionality and burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc (if supported) and/or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Is it at all feasible to detour this AVCHD on DVD disc to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc? You are looking at resolution 1920 x 1080 versus 720 x 480 if so. Do you have a player with technology to enhance the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc playback?

ATR

• 6. Re: Make the menu play button default
                  MarkYorns Level 1

Well that is bad news. I will try burning one at the lower resolution to see how it looks.  I am handing the fiished DVD out to 9 other people, so may be best to have the lower resolution anyhow so they don't need a HD player.

So is this a limitation of PE?  Or is it general knowledge that AVCHD and Blue Ray are limited when burning to DVD?  I am an novice, so don't know.

• 7. Re: Make the menu play button default
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MarkYorns

Thanks for the reply.

The Premiere Elements (any version) AVCHD on DVD as well as Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc both have the stop marker function issue at playback. So, it is not just a DVD disc issue.

There are said to be other software that can supply a stop marker type set within its program so that the end product has its stop markers recognized at playback of the disc. There have been other threads on this type of matter. The choices seem to be

a. export the Premiere Elements Timeline to a file type supported by the 3rd party software that will accept the file for menus/including stop markers and burn to within the 3rd part software.

b. do not use Premiere Elements at all and find a product that will do the whole job for you.

I will dig out some threads that have discussed the matter and other programs that were pointed to.

More later.

ATR