11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 6:46 AM by Masoner

Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?

darkriderdesign Level 1

I see that you can package HTML into a PDF.  Is there a support table of what HTML is supported in this process?  Is HTML5 supported?

• 1. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

It isn't a packaging, it's a conversion into a static representation, within the limits of PDF. I'd love to see such a table. Don't think much new HTML5 stuff is supported.

• 2. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
            try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can't "package" HTML into a PDF file, whatever that means. You can

convert an HTML page to a PDF page, but that's hardly the same as including

HTML code in a PDF. Doing so removes all scripts, CSS attributes and other

interactive objects (except for some form fields, perhaps), so using it on

an HTML5 page will probably result in a very static result.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM, darkriderdesign

• 3. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
              darkriderdesign Level 1

It's funny because you would think boxing up HTML5 into a PDF would be "priority number 1" for Adobe Acrobat?

would this not solve tons of issues and create multitudes of awesome situations for mobile, desktop, etc.

InDesign    >    HTML5   >   OMG some magic Adobe Process   >    ePub3

Dreamweaver    > HTML5 JQuery mobile   >   OMG some magic Adobe Process  >  Interactive PDF

Adobe Edge    > HTML5 CSS3    > OMG some magic Adobe Process    > Games/ Interactive PDF

Flash CreateJS    >   HTML5 Canvas     >    OMG some magic Adobe Process   > Games / Interactive PDF

dude I cannot be the only person who has thought of this Adobe... and don't tell me this cannot be done. 

• 4. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Actually, no, I disagree. Sounds like a terrible thing to me. Turning PDF into a second rate browser substitute. And removing all of the certainty of fixed layout which is the unique selling point of PDF. Once PDF is a competitor with HTML, why keep PDF? Mind you it wouldn't be as bad a choice as the - already done - decision of putting Flash content in PDFs. But it isn't me you'd have to convince, it's the ISO 32000 committee standardising PDF.

Surely all those awesome things you mention can already be done with a...browser?

• 5. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
                  darkriderdesign Level 1

It could be more simple than that. 

Why not just have a Browser Control in Acrobat that essentially uses the devices native web browser?  if your on an iPad... you get safari,  if your on windows... you get whatever browser the person has selected as "my Default Browser"

done...

HTML5 is now viewable from a PDF...

no one is saying drop what acrobat does really well, but if you could add to it's feature list by giving people the ability to add HTML5 content.... it would make .pdf really really powerful again.

• 6. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?

I totally agree with TSN. Why try merging two technologies that serve completely different purposes? You'll just end up with a bastarized version of both. And I highly doubt Adobe is going to spend the huge amount of work that is required to make such a thing happen, even if it was desirable (or technically possible).

It would make sense to integrate HTML5 support in DW (or other web-based technologies), but that's a whole other story.

• 7. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
                      darkriderdesign Level 1

Imagine for a moment... you have a presentation.  currently if you add video to it, you can save it as a PDF, but the video is added to the PDF as Flash content?... which is great if someone views the PDF on a desktop.... but what if someone wants to view the PDF on an iPad?

then if you view the PDF on an iPad the place where the flash content is suppose to show up, is blank?

again, playing video in an acrobat file..... is not un heard of..... why not have HTML5 or Flash depending on the device's browser?  which if you can imagine playing video in acrobat..... why stop there.

• 8. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?

Then why use a PDF file at all? Why not simply open use a web-page for that?

PDF files are (or should be) portable (hence their name), which means that you should be able to open them and have them look and behave the same on any system. Making large chunks of their content dependent on external software defeats that purpose.

The only advantage I can see of implementing such a feature is if you want to have it display content dynamically (like a license agreement that might change from time to time), but the downsides are so big I think they out-weigh the benefits, or it would have already been introduced as a standard feature, using regular HTML (never mind about HTML5).

• 9. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
                          darkriderdesign Level 1

"Then why use a PDF file at all? Why not simply open use a web-page for that?"

Think about it for a second.  build a interactive document, web page, interactive game, presentation........ openly distribute the .pdf.  It makes an "app" store pretty useless  If I can just give you a .pdf file.

again, you woudn't have to use the HTML5 feature if you didn't want to, but the rest of the world would.

• 10. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?

So just give out the URL, instead... Anyway, it's a moot point. I highly doubt it's ever going to happen, but who knows.

• 11. Re: Can you package HTML5/ CSS3 and Canvas up into a PDF?
                              Masoner Level 1

I suppose you could avoid hosting costs of the page/PDF by using dropbox or something to share it. That's a selling point, right? lol