Are you trying to open a version 10 project in version 12?
That won't work. In fact, it quite often corrupts the project file so that you can't open it later in eithe version of the program.
Thanks for your reply Steve. No I didn’t try to open a version 10 project in 12. I returned to a project in 10 after using 12, and it was then I found the problem.The same problem came up in another version 10 project and it looks as if I’ve lost all the stills on the hard drive. I’m going to reload the stills on to my hard drive and hopefully I’ll be able to reinstate the projects.
Wendy and Scott
Please clarify from where you are missing stills - in the Elements Organizer and/or the Premiere Elements workspace (media area and/or Timeline).
Are you moving, deleting, renaming files and folders involved in a project after you have saved/closed the project?
Premiere Elements 10 project.prel (provided its source media are connected) can usually be opened in Premiere Elements 12 by right clicking the 10 project.prel file, selecting Open With, and then Premiere Elements 12. Since 12 edited project.prel cannot be edited again in 10, best make a copy of 10 project.prel for the editing in version 12.
Also, if you have important entries in the Elements Organizer 10 and you want them in Elements Organizer 12, look into 10 catelog conversion in Elements Organizer 12.
Wendy & Scott,
I have a few additional questions, please:
- Have you Copied the Assets and Project files from the Classroom in a Book (CiaB) disc, to your computer's HDD?
- If so, have you Copied those files and folders, exactly as instructed?
- If so, where did you Copy the .PREL (Project) file, and the necessary Assets?
- Which version of PrE is that CiaB for?
- What are the file formats for those missing stills?
There are two things that I am trying to determine:
- Are those Assets just not where PrE is looking for them, and hence the Media Offline error message? If so, then relinking to those Asset files should be fairly easy.
- Or, are those Asset files in a format that PrE cannot no longer work with, for example .TGA, which was removed in later PrE versions?
Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.
Wendy and Scott
Without further details, I might suggest the following modification or inclusion in your troubleshooting schemes.
Work through the Classroom in a Book principles with your own files rather than Classroom in a Book's files. On more than one occasion, those files have been flawed.
Thanks so much for your trouble but it turns out the files for the stills were lost from the hard drive and I’m going to have to re-load them.
Thanks so much for your trouble but it turns out that the files for the stills were lost from the hard drive and I’m going to have to re-load them.
Thanks for the update.
The good news part was that you had the files to re-load them. Good job sorting things out.