5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 2:39 PM by Sknygrydg

Import files.mov in After Effects.

dap-dap

Hi everyone.

I'm coming to you because I have a new problem when I'm importing my files.mov in After Effect cs6.

I use "Toon Boom Studio" to make stickman animation (it's for a project for my school) and when I'm exporting the file, I set 25 fps, 1920x1080 resolution and Apple ProRes 422 compression.

When I'm playing the animation in quicktime, we can see that every parameters are corrects :

Capture d’écran 2014-04-08 à 10.21.28.png

But when I import this file in After Effect CS6, a strange thing happened :

Capture d’écran 2014-04-08 à 10.26.47.png

The fps of this file is to 26.042 and especially I don't have all the frames of my file. I mean there isn't the last frame of my animation. It seems that my animation was cut at the end. But it isn't when I played it in Quicktime or VLC.

I'm sorry for my english, I hope you will understand me.

• 1. Re: Import files.mov in After Effects.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open up file interpretation by selecting your movie file the Project Panel and select File>Interpret footage and change the frame rate. I'm not sure why AE is misinterpreting the metadata.

• 2. Re: Import files.mov in After Effects.
            dap-dap Level 1

Hello,

You means changes the fps of the file to 26.042 to 25 ? If it's what you are talking about, I already try this, but it still miss the end of my animation.

I create an animation with a stickman of 8 frames, 4 differents :

Capture d’écran 2014-04-08 à 16.26.03.pngCapture d’écran 2014-04-08 à 16.25.52.pngCapture d’écran 2014-04-08 à 16.26.19.pngCapture d’écran 2014-04-08 à 16.26.32.png

And when I open it in After Effect, there isn't the last one. And it seems that the first picture last 3 frames in AE instead of 2.

• 3. Re: Import files.mov in After Effects.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's something fouled up with your export so try exporting as an image sequence. Without having access to the video file that is giving you problems I don't have a clue what is going on. It probably has something to do with the way Toon Boom Studio exported the file.

Just a little FYI, I always export renders from animation programs as image sequences. This eliminates all frame rate problems and makes it very easy to fix a single bad frame.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Import files.mov in After Effects.
                dap-dap Level 1

I will work in that way, it's a good idea, Thank you, I can continue my work.

Have a great day

• 5. Re: Import files.mov in After Effects.
                  Sknygrydg Level 1

Touristeee > I work extensively with Toon Boom as well - Toon Boom Animate.  Exporting as an image sequence is the best way to get your animation into AE - not only does it maintain the highest quality, you skip any exporting issues like you're seeing here. The only down side is the TB file naming. 

TB names sequential exports like this: Frame1, Frame2, etc., Frame9, Frame10, Frame11, etc. So frames 1 - 9 only have 6 characters, and 10+ have 7.  As a result, AE imports the frames out of sequence - Frame2 comes directly before Frame20, Frame3 comes before Frame30 and so on.  It's even more complicated if you have over 100 frames or 1,000.

On the Mac, the OS understands the correct order of the files, so the sequence of frames is correct when you view the list in your Finder.  Which is good, because then you easily can use Automator to rename all your files with the proper number of zeros in front.  In the Action panel, pull the actions from Files & Folders - first'Get Specified Finder Items' then 'Rename Finder Items'.

Just a heads up!