12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 8:50 AM by A.T. Romano

Canon XA25 connection

Woodchip

I have just downloaded PE and the first thing I try to do it refuse's.  It does not seem to want to recognise my camera. I click on the flip option for avchd cameras but to no avail, any help please ?

• 1. Re: Canon XA25 connection
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Woodchip

Can we assume that you are trying to run Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit or other?

What are you doing - a USB connection between the camera and computer and then using Premiere Elements 12 Add Media/Videos from Flip Camera or Camera/Video Importer? Is it correct that the Video Importer does not appear or is it the the Video Importer does appear but its Source field does not offer the drive where the source video is?

Please excuse the following, but I did not want to take anything for granted - Is there an option in the camera menus for Set Up/USB/Mass Storage and is set accordingly for the transfer from camera to computer?

Are there utilities that came with the professional camera which would facilitate the transfer?

What are the properites of the recordings from the Canon XA25 - AVCHD video compression, assumed 1920 x 1080 24, 30, or 25 progressive frames per second or 1280 x 720 p60 or p50?? What is the file extension?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Canon XA25 connection
            Woodchip Level 1

ATR. hi and thanks for your reply.  Forgive my lack of technical knowledge but I will try to answer your points as best I can.  I am in fact using my iMac with up to date software. I have only just acquired the Canon and am not fully used to it yet but I was advised to purchase PM12 by the suppliers. They do indeed supply software known as Data Import Utility and I can use this to transfer my files onto my hard rive but I would like to transfer straight to PM12 if possible. I have been trying ...Add Media...Videos from Flip or Cameras....I then , after connecting my camera via USB get the message page saying No supported device has been detected, but it is. The footage I am experimenting with is AVCHD. 1080 50p 28mpbs. 

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Canon XA25 connection
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Woodchip

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I will depend upon you for those instances where Premiere Elements 12 Windows and Mac may differ on a location. Principles should be the same between Premiere Elements Mac and Premiere Elements Windows on these operating systems for the most part.

1. Assuming the you have checked the  Canon for any setting that would enable the USB transfer from camera to computer to Premiere Elements 12.....

a. Open Premiere Elements 12 Mac. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In the Change Settings dialog, change the project preset to

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

Before you exit that area, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" which is in the last dialog you will see there (new project dialog).

b.With your camera connected to the computer via USB, in Premiere Elements12 Mac, go to Add Media/Videos from Flip or Camera/Video Importer.

c. Then in the Video Importer, go to Source to set for the Camera connection; set the Save In for where you want the files saved; if you want the files added to the Timeline of the current project, put a check mark next to Add to Timeline; put a check mark next to the files that you want. Clicking Get Media in the Video Importer dialog will put the file in Project Assets as well as on the Timeline (that is, if you opted for "Add to Timeline" in the Video Importer dialog)

Now the big question, does that all happen for you when you follow that scheme?

I am not sure if the camera has any utilities that would be needed to make the above route possible as well as making the transfer from the camera to computer possible. If the above fails, then I would install the Data Import Utility and then try the whole Add Media/Videos from Flip or Camera/Video Importer route again.

If all else fails, then it looks like transfer from camera to computer and then, from the computer save location, import the files into Premiere Elements project using Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders.

Please review and then let us know if what worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                Woodchip Level 1

Thanks once again ATR. I have followed your directions and altered the settings as you suggested and all went as planned except when I got to connecting the camera again and the same thing I'm afraid. 

Regards,

Colin

• 5. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Colin

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better. Thanks for trying the suggestions.

Did you get a chance to install that Data Import Utility to determine if its install would enable that connect to Video Importer?

Have you had time to determine if you can transfer successfully from camera to computer save location and from there import the video into Premiere Elements 12 Mac with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets?

I have not given up yet on the Video Importer although results are pointing to camera to computer save transfer.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                    Woodchip Level 1

ATR thanks and yes I have the Data Import Utility installed and running and I can access the files through that but I would have thought PE 12 would have had that facility direct. I just think , maybe wrongly , that the more processes you go through the more quality you loose. I must admit that I am a little disappointed in PE as I was recommended to purchase it by the camera dealers as a better option than iMovie which I was using but I could connect easily with iMovie and also access to my iTunes music library was easily available.

Regards,

Colin

• 7. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Colin

I went hunting on Canon site for your Canon-XA25. I did not see any drivers but what about firmware updates?

Have you been there and done that?

Did the Data Import Utility come with the Canon-XA25 or was that 3rd party from the place of purchase?

We will watch for further developments when you get the time.

Thanks for the updates.

ATR

• 8. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                        Woodchip Level 1

ATR not done the firmware thing but will do now and yes the DIU did come with the camera

Regards,

Colin

• 9. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                          Woodchip Level 1

Hi again ATR, just done firmware update (needed) but not made any difference

Regards,

Colin

• 10. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Colin

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that the outcome was not better.

Do you have access to a Windows computer?  For troubleshooting purposes, it would be interesting to see if Premiere Elements 12 Windows and the same Add Media route would recognize your Canon XA25. Any chance of looking into that?

ATR

• 11. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                              Woodchip Level 1

Hi ATR, I would like to thank you for your time and effort in solving my problems but since talking to you last I have encountered other problems and I really find,probably due to my inability, that this software is not for me and not very user friendly so I have returned the package and will probably go for Final Cut Pro X, I know this is more expensive but at least it has to be pro Apple, thanks again 

Regards,

Colin

• 12. Re: Canon XA25 connection
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Colin

Thanks for the update.

Wishing you success in your video editing decisions.

We were glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

ATR