16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 1:11 PM by Fossilcoach

How do I restore offline files?

Fossilcoach Level 1

I have followed the tutorial. I get a prompt  'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec

is not installed.'

• 1. Re: How do I restore offline files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Fossilcoach

That is not an offline files type message.

Instead it could mean

a. That the video and/or audio compression OR the compression plus the file extension (wrapper format) is not supported by the version of Premiere Elements that you are using

or

b. You are trying to import one project file (project.prel) into another project file (project.prel).

So please supply more information about the properties of what you are trying to import into your Premiere Elements project.

Please remind us - what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I restore offline files?
            Fossilcoach Level 1

Hi ATR...

My operating system is Microsoft Windows and I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

When I went into the project that I have been working on for the past several weeks there appeared in about 10 different locations a notice saying 'media offline'...the pictures that existed in these locations were replaced by this notice.

I went into Adobe Help and followed the instructions. When I tried to restore the file this notice appeared 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.' .

Fossil Coach

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 08:26:21 -0700

To: ivan_bakk@hotmail.com

Subject: How do I restore offline files?

Re: How do I restore offline files?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Fossilcoach

That is not an offline files type message.

Instead it could mean

a. That the video and/or audio compression OR the compression plus the file extension (wrapper format) is not supported by the version of Premiere Elements that you are using

or

b. You are trying to import one project file (project.prel) into another project file (project.prel).

So please supply more information about the properties of what you are trying to import into your Premiere Elements project.

Please remind us - what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6281471#6281471

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6281471#6281471

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6281471#6281471. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 3. Re: How do I restore offline files?
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are they the exact files that were there when all was OK that you are trying to restore?

Are they on a server or an external drive?

• 4. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Fossilcoach,

I agree with ATR that this is beyond "Media Offline," which is discussed in this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/790686?tstart=30

Still, there might be some aspect of Media Offline, that will apply to your situation?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Fossilcoach

Referring back to your post numbered 2 in this thread....

Thanks for the additional information.

Based on that post, we appear to have here a mix of elements of missing media as well as non supported formats.

1. Can the photos (now replaced with media office line messages) actually be found at the hard drive save location from where they were imported into the project?

2. Did you go one by one with the "Where is the file.....?" messages in order to reconnect your project thumbnails with those hard drive originals?

3. Did you make any changes in the hard drive originals after you imported them into the project....

a. moved them

b. renamed folder or files for them

c. edited them to include CMYK color profile

3. Does reconnecting the photo in project to hard drive originals work any better if you use the program's feature of Replace Footage instead of the "Where is the file...?" messages? Please refer to following blog post...

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

4. What are the file extensions of the photos that you are trying to reconnect to the project?

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next based on your details.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I remember this type of scenario from a thread here a while back. Nothing seem to fall into place in it even going through the typical "drills". Let me see if I can find that thread and its outcome. In the meanwhile, we will be looking for your next reply.

• 6. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                    Fossilcoach Level 1

I apologize in advance if I do not provide you with correct answers to your questions, but I truly am a neophyte!

• I was able to find several of the photos as I remembered the specific folders they were in. I put those back in the timeline.

*There are several photos that I can't recall so I don't know what folders they are in.

*I tried several of the "Where is the file....?" message, but they took me to the same folder every time. I knew the photos were not located there.

• I do not recall using 'Color' or 'Colour (RGB)....CMYK? In the adjustment area I favoured working almost exclusively with 'Lighting'.

• I did not rename folder or files. I may have moved some in the hard drive originals

*I edited a lot of photos from my timeline by sending them to photoshop 12. Note: After editing photos in photoshop I could not get them into the timeline by  answering 'yes' when asked if I wished to replace the clip wit the edited clip. I went looking for my creative effort in a folder and then sending it to assets.

• I rerad your blog post on 'Replace Footage' but it would not work when I tried it. It took me to 'My Pictures' where I have a huge number of picture folders.

• I am not sure what you mean by 'file extension'.

Thanks,

Fossil Coach

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:40:21 -0700

Fossilcoach

Thanks for the additional information.

1. Can the photos (now replaced with media office line messages) actually be found at the hard drive save location from where they were imported into the project?

2. Did you go one by one with the "Where is the file.....?" messages in order to reconnect your project thumbnails with those hard drive originals?

3. Did you make any changes in the hard drive originals after you imported them into the project....

a. moved them

b. renamed folder or files for them

c. edited them to include CMYK color profile

3. Does reconnecting the photo in project to hard drive originals work any better if you use the program's feature of Replace Footage instead of the "Where is the file...?" messages? Please refer to following blog post...

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

4. What are the file extensions of the photos that you are trying to reconnect to the project?

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next based on your details.

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6281898#6281898

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6281898#6281898

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6281898#6281898. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 7. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Fossil Coach

Thanks for the reply. We appreciate the details that you offer and will work with you to try to sort them out to find the answers.

File extension. Are all your photo jpg/jpeg type. If so, each will have a .jpg (.jpeg) file extension which is seen as .jpg (or .jpeg) at the end of the file name that you see for your photo. Some save photos with a .psd at the end of the file name, some .tiff, some .png for example to represent the format.

The people who edit their photos in Photoshop where the CMYK color profile is available get into trouble when they try to bring those edited photos in Premiere Elements. Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements do not support photos that come with the CMYK color profile. But, since you are not using Photoshop, we can rule that factor out of the way.

The following may be the reason for this issue

I may have moved some in the hard drive originals

You will get hit with some nasty media reconnect issues if you move source media from their hard drive save location after the project has been saved/closed. Those "Where is the file....?" messages is the major way to recover from that situation. But, a just in case note, those messages are not going automatically to where the missing photos are, you have to point the message to where you know the photo(s) are.

How many photos remain unconnected to the program at this time? If you have moved the missing files, best case would be that you moved them all to the same place, and we just need to find that place. How far have you gotten in doing a computer search for one or more of these files? You know the names of the missing files from two places

a. in the title of the "Where is the file......?" message

b. at the Timeline level,  in the title of the clips....even though the thumbnail content has the media offline colorful display, each of those clip title's name remains.

Is it posible that you have removed the missing to an external hard drive which is not connected to the computer at the present time?

Do you find any of the missing as missing looking thumbnails in the Elements Organizer? We could try to find them from there by right clicking on one of the thumbnails of the missing and selecting Show File Info and then reading the file location in the Information column to the right of the interface.

Please review and consider and then we can plan strategy based on your observations and details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                        Fossilcoach Level 1

Hello again ATR,

Now I understand file extension...thank you. The bulk of my photos are coded like this...IMG_0003jpg or IMG_2014032...some show DSCF .jpg, yet a some others show JPG ity .

I do a lot of editing in photoshop elements 12...especially applying layering concepts...I right click on the photo in premiere elements and then choose edit in adobe photo elements. I am unable to place the edited version in the timeline. I have to go looking for it.

As I mentioned, in Premiere Elements I work the 'Lighting' menu in the Adjustments Panel. This is my favourite for quick refinement of a picture....but I do a lot of editing in photoshop elements 12.

I have two photos that are unconnected....002  JPG  ity  and  005  JPG  ity . There were five others. I was able to remember what pictures they were and I hunted them down. These two...I have no idea what they depict. And I guess, most importantly, based on your notes, I do not know where the photos are to point a message to.

I have not any external hard drive connected to my computer.

The Project Assets of the project I am working on shows thumbnails with a page symbol on them with a red and green arrow trying to circle each other. I right clicked on one and then clicked on 'Properties'. Here is what was revealed : 033 JPG

1920x1080

12;00;00;01;, 29.97 fps

Thanks for your time ATR !

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:40:48 -0700

Fossil Coach

Thanks for the reply. We appreciate the details that you offer and will work with you to try to sort them out to find the answers.

File extension. Are all your photo jpg/jpeg type. If so, each will have a .jpg (.jpeg) file extension which is seen as .jpg (or .jpeg) at the end of the file name that you see for your photo. Some save photos with a .psd at the end of the file name, some .tiff, some .png for example to represent the format.

The people who edit their photos in Photoshop where the CMYK color profile is available get into trouble when they try to bring those edited photos in Premiere Elements. Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements do not support photos that come with the CMYK color profile. But, since you are not using Photoshop, we can rule that factor out of the way.

The following may be the reason for this issue

I may have moved some in the hard drive originals

You will get hit with some nasty media reconnect issues if you move source media from their hard drive save location after the project has been saved/closed. Those "Where is the file....?" messages is the major way to recover from that situation. But, a just in case note, those messages are not going automatically to where the missing photos are, you have to point the message to where you know the photo(s) are.

How many photos remain unconnected to the program at this time? If you have moved the missing files, best case would be that you moved them all to the same place, and we just need to find that place. How far have you gotten in doing a computer search for one or more of these files? You know the names of the missing files from two places

a. in the title of the "Where is the file......?" message

b. at the Timeline level,  in the title of the clips....even though the thumbnail content has the media offline colorful display, each of those clip title's name remains.

Is it posible that you have removed the missing to an external hard drive which is not connected to the computer at the present time?

Do you find any of the missing as missing looking thumbnails in the Elements Organizer? We could try to find them from there by right clicking on one of the thumbnails of the missing and selecting Show File Info and then reading the file location in the Information column to the right of the interface.

Please review and consider and then we can plan strategy based on your observations and details.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6282792#6282792

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6282792#6282792

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6282792#6282792. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 9. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Fossil Coach

This is what we are going to do if you have not already.

The Project Assets thumbnail properties for the missing files will not contain the path to the files that we need. It is missing in the information that you want to find there.

But, there is some hope by looking in the Elements Organizer 12. Media imported into Premiere Elements typically ends up with copies in the Elements Organizer. Theory, all imports into Premiere Elements get copies automatically in the Elements Organizer. And, the Elements Organizer may more readily find these two problem missing photos.

Given you have two missing files. You say named

I have two photos that are unconnected....002  JPG  ity  and  005  JPG  ity

What is the "ity" at the end of each name?

This is the plan assuming that these are just jpg photos and the "ity" is not significant.

Open the Premiere Elements project and click Skip All on the first "Where is the file.....?" message so that you go directly into the Expert workspace. Click on Organizer at the bottom of Expert workspace to open the Elements Organizer.

In the opened Elements Organizer.....

1. Go to View Menu/ and make sure you have a check mark next to File Names.

2. Look for the two missing files by the name (whatever name you see for the titles of the 2 missing files in Premiere Elements Expert workspace.

3. When you find one, right click it and select Show File Info.

3. In the right column under the Information Column, go to General Section and "Location", and click on it. With a bit of luck, this will reconnect the Elements Organizer thumbnail with its corresponding file but also tell us where the file is that we had been looking for. A bonus might be that we reconnect more than one file with this maneuver.

Information-Column.jpg

Repeat the above for the second photo if you find the second photo.

Then let us know if the Elements Organizer approach led us to the current location of those missing files.

When we have that information, we will go back to the Premiere Elements side of things and reconnect the two files to the project, using the Replace Footage or "Where is the file....?"

Lots of ifs, but worth a try.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                            Fossilcoach Level 1

Hello again ATR....while you were working on my behalf, I decided to give it one more shot with the 'Where is the file...?'

I typed in the name '002JPG' and clicked on 'Find'. It sent me to another pop menu. This time I typed in '002JPG' and clicked on search again. After about a minute the name comes up. It is a clip that doesn't belong on my project !

I did the process again with the other 'Where is the file...?'. The end result was the same...a clip that was not part of this project. Both clips were from the project I just finished. I am clueless as to how this happened.

Your work was not in vain though. I have documented it in detail  in my notebook for future reference.

Thank you once again for taking the time to help me.

Fossilcoach

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 18:03:28 -0700

Fossil Coach

This is what we are going to do if you have not already.

The Project Assets thumbnail properties for the missing files will not contain the path to the files that we need. It is missing in the information that you want to find there.

But, there is some hope by looking in the Elements Organizer 12. Media imported into Premiere Elements typically ends up with copies in the Elements Organizer. Theory, all imports into Premiere Elements get copies automatically in the Elements Organizer. And, the Elements Organizer may more readily find these two problem missing photos.

Given you have two missing files. You say named

I have two photos that are unconnected....002  JPG  ity  and  005  JPG  ity

What is the "ity" at the end of each name?

This is the plan assuming that these are just jpg photos and the "ity" is not significant.

Open the Premiere Elements project and click Skip All on the first "Where is the file.....?" message so that you go directly into the Expert workspace. Click on Organizer at the bottom of Expert workspace to open the Elements Organizer.

In the opened Elements Organizer.....

1. Go to View Menu/ and make sure you have a check mark next to File Names.

2. Look for the two missing files by the name (whatever name you see for the titles of the 2 missing files in Premiere Elements Expert workspace.

3. When you find one, right click it and select Show File Info.

3. In the right column under the Information Column, go to General Section and "Location", and click on it. With a bit of luck, this will reconnect the Elements Organizer thumbnail with its corresponding file but also tell us where the file is that we had been looking for. A bonus might be that we reconnect more than one file with this maneuver.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6283709-627054/200-605/Informa tion-Column.jpg

Repeat the above for the second photo if you find the second photo.

Then let us know if the Elements Organizer approach led us to the current location of those missing files.

When we have that information, we will go back to the Premiere Elements side of things and reconnect the two files to the project, using the Replace Footage or "Where is the file....?"

Lots of ifs, but worth a try.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6283709#6283709

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6283709#6283709

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6283709#6283709. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 11. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Fossil Coach

If you do not see an obvious theme loss with the loss of those 2 files, I would just delete all trace of them from the project...Timeline and Project Assets....and delete and close gap. Any problems with the Delete and Close Gap command, do it manually by selecting the group of clips that needs to move and then moving all as group in place to get rid of the gap.

Any problems with that, please let me know. Typically, to avoid disturbances to the existing Timeline content when you add to it, hold down on the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you move clip(s) in place on Timeline.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...If we have not discussed it already, please check out the Premiere Elements Project Archiver (Archive and Copy options)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

• 12. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                                Fossilcoach Level 1

Thank you so much for your input ATR.

I feel bad that I have not responded to Bill Hunt and Peru Bob seeing as they took the time to interact with me. To be honest, I feel a bit overwhelmed with all of the technical data I am asked about. I am truly a beginner learning the Adobe system (and loving it by the way!). I feel very fortunate that you are responding to all of my inquiries. I find you patient and very knowledgeable.

One final question - re. avoiding disturbances to the existing timeline.......Do I hold the Alt key down for both adding clips and moving clips ?  That seems to be your suggestion. Presently I hold the Alt key down for just moving content. I click the comma key to add content.

Carpe Diem ATR !

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 19:43:28 -0700

Fossil Coach

If you do not see an obvious theme loss with the loss of those 2 files, I would just delete all trace of them from the project...Timeline and Project Assets....and delete and close gap. Any problems with the Delete and Close Gap command, do it manually by selecting the group of clips that needs to move and then moving all as group in place to get rid of the gap.

Any problems with that, please let me know. Typically, to avoid disturbances to the existing Timeline content when you add to it, hold down on the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you move clip(s) in place on Timeline.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...If we have not discussed it already, please check out the Premiere Elements Project Archiver (Archive and Copy options)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc1 9b622510385d4355c-7dcb.html

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6283880#6283880

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6283880#6283880

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6283880#6283880. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 13. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Fossil Coach

Thank for the follow ups.

Holding down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard works for me when I want to add a file from Project Assets to an existing Timeline content and do not want to disturb the existing Timeline content. Some prefer to use the Ctrl key for this purpose. I do not. This remedy addresses the unwanted cutting of soundtrack and other existing Timeline content when you want to add a clip to that existing Timeline content.

Never ran into the comma approach to what you said you use when adding content. It brings a new dimension to the “add”. I have found

1. In Project Assets, highlight/select the clip to be added
                                  2. Place the Timeline Indicator at the place into which the clip is to be added
                                  3. Tap on the comma key as many times as you want that clip added to that spot

But there is soundtrack cutting. Please give it a try with a soundtrack as part of your existing Timeline to see what I mean.

If I have not mentioned it previously, the following video tutorial on adding clip to Timeline is worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRT8OzdxVc

Right now the Adobe Forums have been shutdown from early this morning, and I am writing my replies without a look back at the rest of the thread. Major update, they post. We will soon find out what that is all about.

Thanks for mention of the comma. Very interesting.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                                    Fossilcoach Level 1

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 07:04:13 -0700

Subject: How do I restore offline files?Good morning ATR !

I will try the Alt key for adding files to my timeline  from project assets. You are right....I used to interrupt  a soundtrack. From that experience I now add soundtrack when I am finished everything else. That is great if Alt doesn't disturb the soundtrack.I do find the timeline indicator and the comma convenient.Thanks again for your support !Fossilcoach

Fossil Coach

Thank for the follow ups.

Holding down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard works for me when I want to add a file from Project Assets to an existing Timeline content and do not want to disturb the existing Timeline content. Some prefer to use the Ctrl key for this purpose. I do not. This remedy addresses the unwanted cutting of soundtrack and other existing Timeline content when you want to add a clip to that existing Timeline content.

Never ran into the comma approach to what you said you use when adding content. It brings a new dimension to the “add”. I have found

In Project Assets, highlight/select the clip to be addedPlace the Timeline Indicator at the place into which the clip is to be addedTap on the comma key as many times as you want that clip added to that spotBut there is soundtrack cutting. Please give it a try with a soundtrack as part of your existing Timeline to see what I mean.

If I have not mentioned it previously, the following video tutorial on adding clip to Timeline is worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRT8OzdxVc

Right now the Adobe Forums have been shutdown from early this morning, and I am writing my replies without a look back at the rest of the thread. Major update, they post. We will soon find out what that is all about.

Thanks for mention of the comma. Very interesting.

Best wishes,

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6285539#6285539

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6285539#6285539

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6285539#6285539. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 15. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Fossil Coach

Good morning.

We are glad that the Adobe Forums major updates have been completed. However, still puzzled by some strange posting obstacles when I came online an hour ago.

ATR

• 16. Re: How do I restore offline files?
                                        Fossilcoach Level 1

I just had to comment....if YOU are puzzled by strange posting obstacles.....then they must be very very strange !

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 07:48:27 -0700

Fossil Coach

Good morning.

We are glad that the Adobe Forums major updates have been completed. However, still puzzled by some strange posting obstacles when I came online an hour ago.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6285738#6285738

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6285738#6285738

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6285738#6285738. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.