10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 1:18 PM by - JM -

Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)

bboobb

Just update to ACR 8.4 and now Bridge will not access ACR. Photoshop will, but not bridge! I'm on a MBP runnibng OSX 10.9.2. Any help?

• 1. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
          Curt Y Level 6

Have had another post this AM on the Bridge forum with same problem, same OS.  Might be a bug if others see same thing.

• 2. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
            WJ Kotze

I had the same problem on the same OS. None of the normal trouble-shooting tricks worked. I had to to do a re-install of CS6 which solved the problem.

• 3. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
              bboobb Level 1

Thanks for the information! Yes, after contacting Adobe, they attempted their magic which failed so a re-install was done which solved the problem. Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
                - JM - Level 3

bboobb - are you using CS6 or CC?

other reports have been on CS6 with 10.7.5 / 10.8.5

If you are using the CS6 suite, did you need to uninstall everything?  I'm not looking forward to that....

• 5. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
                  bboobb Level 1

Ok, it’s failing again! I’m using CS6! (Not CC). I went back to the directory of raw files that I was using for testing and found that ACR was listed in the drop downs when I selected one of the raw files in that directory. When I went back to my work directory of raw files ACR was no longer listed as being available to open a raw file. Also I had noticed when I first updated to 8.4 that it clearing the adjustments from the icons listed in bridge. So I started to suspect that the 8.4 may have an incapability with the generated icons from the previous releases. So I selected the entire directory of files and “Purged Cache for Selected”. After it regenerated the icons for the selected items, ACR was now listed for each item.

So far I repeated it for a number of directories. What a pain! I’ll have to do it for every directory I have!

YeeGads! What a mess this has made of my day!

• 6. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
                    - JM - Level 3

Hi bboob

You reinstalled CS6 PS and then updated to 8.4 or was that your only option?

must be 8.4.

I'm in the same sinking boat, and since Adobe has kept the 8.4 updater live, I think there might be a couple more to join us.

When you spoke to Adobe, were they aware of the problem, or were you the only person in the entire world that had this problem..... except for me and the other people that have posted.

I have not seen a report from the CC group.

Any chance that you also have Photoshop Elements on your computer too?  I noticed that the updates included something for that too.

• 7. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
                      bboobb Level 1

Well I don’t know how many have this problem. But I had to reinstall and that did not really fix it. It appeared to because we were working with ACR 7.0 for a bit and when we tested to see if the re-install fixed it we looked at the ones we opened with ACR 7.0. So on a hunch I decided to purge the Cache for a raw file that was not being allowed to be opened via ACR 8.4 and found that once it regenerated the icons it would work. So I did the entire directory of raw file and they now all work. So until they fix the problem, I’ll have to regenerate icons. BTW I use the hi-resolution icons. Hope this helps.

As far as I know they are still working on the problem. They have sent me notes asking for information which I have provided.

Good Luck!

Bob

• 8. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
                        - JM - Level 3

I just received a replacement file to test for the camera raw plugin. This fixed the problem on my installation of CS6 that had updated to 8.4 and was not able to launch Camera Raw from Bridge, and also Bridge was not able to view or alter any Metadata.

There was no need to reinstall PS, just a direct replacement of the file. I don't know how Adobe will be supplying the fix, but as of now, I would not recommend updating to Camera Raw / DNG 8.4 if you are using CS6 until the new file is available.

thanks to Adobe for the quick fix.

• 9. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
                          bboobb Level 1

JM, I see I did not answer your question about Elements. I do not have Photoshop Elements installed but do have Premier Elements installed, don’t know if that makes any difference. The other strange thing is that for the 10D and G12 raw files it appears unaffected. Only the 40D and 7D raw files. Of course it could be ACR version dependent, but the G12 and 40D files were taken at the same time, so must have been processed by the same ACR/Bridge version.

Any way icons are still being generated, very slow process.

Bob,

BTW my name seems to have been screwed up in my user properties some how! Sorry about that!

• 10. Re: Updated to ACR 8.4 now bridge can't access it. OSX 10.9.2 (latest version)
                            - JM - Level 3

I just received a replacement file to test for the camera raw plugin. This fixed the problem on my installation of CS6 that had updated to 8.4 and was not able to launch Camera Raw from Bridge, and also Bridge was not able to view or alter any Metadata.

There was no need to reinstall PS, just a direct replacement of the file. I don't know how Adobe will be supplying the fix, but as of now, I would not recommend updating to Camera Raw / DNG 8.4 if you are using CS6 until the new file is available.

thanks to Adobe for the quick fix.