6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 9:46 PM by Silkrooster

Something's wrong with my Gif html-file with slices, please help?

sannaan

Hi,

first of all I want to point out that I have absolutely no knowledge in HTML, I have only learnt how to embed an URL in a gif with slices, and done just that. I hope someone might know how to help me anyway.

I have  saved my gif (in which I have two slices; one with an URL), and I can't see where It's gone wrong. (It worked until I did a design change; removed a few elements and re-saved. Now it's not working.)

OK, specifics:

I Save for web, with gif presets, all (2) slices marked, then optimized with both html and images, default setting and all slices. It saves as a .html-file, as  it should.

Before this last round of re-saving, it worked fine when both me and my client opened it. It opens and looks as it should in any browser when I open the .html file through my hard drive. (Though, there is both an .html file, and also a folder called 'images' with the two slices as gifs, and I assume the html-file uses them when opening the .html-file on my hard drive .)

The problem is, when it's opened on someone elses computer. Then all that's seen in the browser is two 'broken images' where the slices are. The url works, though. So I guess that, even if I save with both images and html, the images aren't embedded somehow?

If anyone knows what I'm missing here, I would be ever so grateful

Sanna

• 1. Re: Something's wrong with my Gif html-file with slices, please help?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, you need to include the images folder.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Something's wrong with my Gif html-file with slices, please help?
            sannaan Level 1

Thank you, include when I send to someone else you mean?

(It is supposed to be a banner in a news letter, and I'm sending this off to the company making the news letter))

• 3. Re: Something's wrong with my Gif html-file with slices, please help?
              Herbert2001 Level 4

Aside from Mylenium's advise, you may have absolute links in your html that link to a location on YOUR drive, rather than relative ones.

You will have to change those to relative ones in the html code for it to work on other machines.

So, check if the links to the images read something like:

images/x.gif

The folder should be the first one.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Something's wrong with my Gif html-file with slices, please help?
                sannaan Level 1

OK, thank you, but there is no way to just 'pack' the images and html in one file, in photoshop? So that I won't have to change the code at all (since I know basically nothing about html)

• 5. Re: Something's wrong with my Gif html-file with slices, please help?
                  Herbert2001 Level 4

You use an archiver, zip them all into one, and send it off to your client. Make sure to put all the files in a self-contained folder first. (Otherwise all the files might be extracted to their desktop)

• 6. Re: Something's wrong with my Gif html-file with slices, please help?
                    Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's a thought. since you know little about html and you were to design a banner, why not let them worry about the html since they need to edit the html anyway. Just send them a single png image with no slices or url's.

If that is not a solution, when you use the save for web dialog box at the bottom is a preview in browser button, click that then the preview will show you your image(s) and below that will be the html code that you can copy/paste.

Use that code to compare to what you did.

Keep in mind a html file is nothing more than a text file that points to images. So there is no way to combine them. That means you need to send both html and images if you plan on editing the html.

The links in the html can be absolute or relative. Absolute means just that you give a firm address of the location of the links. If you save to your drive the absolute address is your drive that the public can not see. If you upload to a web server the absolute address is the url found in the web browser ex. http://example.com/folder/image.jpg

A relative address is a folder related to a parent or sibling. ex. /folder/image.jpg In this example the html code would be in the parent folder to the folder listed in the link.

Knowing this, editing the html maybe provide to be futile. (always wanted to use that word) As you would not know where your customer plans on storing the html file relative to the images. Nor would you know the absolute link to the location. But your customer would. You could recommend where they should be placed, but there is no guarantee of what they will do with your files. So no matter how hard you work on it, your customer can easily break it.

Thats my 2 cents anyway...