16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 3:33 PM by Trevorׅ

Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC

jenlenhart Level 1

I am a graphic designer and just started a new position. My employers are wanting to buy me a new computer.

Currently, I am on a PC and the only programs I have to use are CS5 InDesign (no problem, that's what I've used my whole design career) and CS2 Illustrator (GASP!! I had never even seen this version until I started.)

My preference is very much Mac. What are some solid reasons that I should ask them to buy me a Mac with updated software instead of just a new PC?

I'm the newest and youngest person at my place of work, so I'm really wanting to avoid the whole "young entitled designer" thing.

Any comments would be super helpful!

• 1. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm sure the Apple faithful will be along to extole the virtues of Mac, but I have to tell you; if it was my budget to administer, you'd have a hard time justifying the extra expenditure. If the primary tool for your job is Adobe Creative [wildcard], there is no major advantage in buying a Mac, (provided you don't buy into all the silly intangibles). If I outfit you with a new Windows machine, we can continue to run our licensed copy of CS5 until the wheels fall off, and then I'll break out the CS6 numbers I bought 2 years ago. A new Mac would force us to subscribe to Creative Cloud right now. My IT guy may be exposing a weakness in his own skillset, but the reality is he would prefer the shop stays Apple products-free, as would I.

So, my young, entitled designer; tell me why it is that your preference for Mac is so stout...

• 2. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
            BeckieBea

Having worked extensively with both the PC and Mac platform on the Creative Suite programs, I can honestly say that the biggest draw for me is that the Mac is what I knew, while I had to relearn a good share of shortcuts on the PC. Pricewise a PC will always beat a Mac, but I've had better luck with just two Macs versus my husbands four PCs that he's gone through. We're somewhat immune to viruses, which is REALLY nice.

Adobe might have stated somewhere how long they plan on supporting the older versions of Creative Suite, but I haven't read it yet, so that's a biggie for me as well. Adobe doesn't really like supporting the older versions in my experience. The last time I called about an issue I was having with Photoshop CS3, I got a complete runaround for the first 10 minutes while the guy tried to get me to update, even after I told him it's not in my budget. And, in my experience, when I've called for technical support for programs on the PC end, I've never NOT run into issues.

That's just my opinion of things. I will personally always prefer a Mac to a PC, but the main point of that is for usability for me and me alone. That may not be enough to convince someone to shell out $4000 instead of $1000.

Good luck!

• 3. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Unless you’re moving to Creative Cloud and planning to use Digital Publishing Suite to publish to iOS devices, I’m afraid there is no compelling reason at all to move to Mac.

• 4. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm another long-time PC user (but one who worked on Mac at every graphics job I've held working for someone else). I toy with buying a mac from time to time, look at the cost of doing so, and the aggravation of not being able to get under the hood the same way I can on my PCs (I'm sure there are folks out there with Mac training who can, but I don't know a single one), and all the reports of trouble users have with Mavericks and ID here on the forum (and Apple's arrogance and lack of respect for their users -- your software doesn't work since th laast upgrade to the OS? Too bad), and I can never find justifcation for doing so.

Fifteen years ago Macs might have had an edge for file delivery since they were the dominant platform, but with PDF it makes no difference at all.

• 5. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

People who bought a full Font Folio in Mac T1 flavor back when they were flush during Dotcom Boom Number Two circa 1999-2001; they need Macs.

I need to be able to open their packaged files to swap out the T1s that I don't have licenses for with contemporary OTFs that I can use legitimately actually have support for Russian and Vietnamese. Also I need to be able to open the work of "designers" who use Mac-only system .dfonts and such. So, I have to keep at least one Mac around. And it makes me complain at great length whenever I have to give Apple any money. I was a big fan in the 90s, not so much anymore.

When a family member or friend says "Joel, you're a computer nerd, are you Windows or Mac?" my stock answer is "I'm platform-agnostic. My laptop can boot into four different operating systems. Brand loyalty is just like religion, sans the ostensibly functional moral system."

• 6. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BeckieBea wrote:

We're somewhat immune to viruses, which is REALLY nice.

That's a widely propagated falsehood. The only reason "PC's" suffer a statistical disadvantage with respect to virus infection is because so many more of them are incorporated into critical business and banking functions, which furnishes material motive for writers of nefarious code whose endeavors exceed the recreational. Systemically, Macs are no more "immune" to viruses than any Internet-connected device.

• 7. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                      Bo LeBeau Level 4

If you ever receive or need to share files from other users, font issues is a big reason for going with a Mac.

The Mac OS can handle Windows fonts, but Windows can't handle Mac fonts.

And I don't just mean dfonts (which is a stupid idea to begin with) but Mac version TrueType fonts won't work on Windows. TrueType fonts come in 2 versions, one for Macs and one for Windows. Since the Mac can work with WIndows Truetype fonts i don't think there is ever any reason to use a Mac Truefont font (as long as a Windows version of the font exists)

In a perfect world, everyone would only use OTF fonts to cross platform compatibility, but anyone who receives files from other people can tell you that its not unusual to find 3 completely different versions of a common font like Helvetica. Most people creating InDesign documents (including Graphic Artists) are apparently unaware of font issues and collect and hoard every font from the beginning of time. They also use multiple versions of the same font without even being aware of what they are doing.

In addition to design skills, people need to be aware of technical issues and I don't think that this is taught in schools and the average user just does what they have always done in the past and couldn't care less about learning about new methods, etc.

Long story short Mac users can easily deal with WIndows files, but WIndows users will have issues with Mac files.

• 8. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC

At my first pre-press job, circa 1998, our "immune" Mac was infected with the AutoStart virus (http://www.macintouch.com/hkvirus.html), which I didn't know until I transferred a file to a PC running some antivirus software and every client zip disk we stuck in the thing also became infected and passed the virus along to other unsuspecting Mac users. Even after being informed of the infection, though, the "Mac maintenance guy" who came in once a month to vacuum out the dust in the case didn't do anything about it.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

• 9. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC

Bo LeBeau wrote:

If you ever receive or need to share files from other users, font issues is a big reason for going with a Mac.

The Mac OS can handle Windows fonts, but Windows can't handle Mac fonts.

And I don't just mean dfonts (which is a stupid idea to begin with) but Mac version TrueType fonts won't work on Windows. TrueType fonts come in 2 versions, one for Macs and one for Windows.

And practically nobody uses Mac TT fonts, even on a Mac, anymore unless they've had them hanging around for years. Most foundries, as far as I can tell only issue OT or Windows TT versions of their fonts today.

But yes, setting aside any licensing issues involved in "sharing" fonts with others, if you need a font that is only available as a Mac font, then you need a Mac. That's not likely to be a big issue in a PC environment, though having one Mac user who decides to use a system .dfont for print output might be.

• 10. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's a widely propagated falsehood. The only reason "PC's" suffer a statistical disadvantage with respect to virus infection is because so many more of them are incorporated into critical business and banking functions, which furnishes material motive for writers of nefarious code whose endeavors exceed the recreational. Systemically, Macs are no more "immune" to viruses than any Internet-connected device.

Not the only reason, I think. Secondarily, you have to look at why OS X is a harder nugget to crack. Vulnerabilities were just harder to find and exploit on OS X. Were. Fortunately for the nefarious vuln-peddling set, standards seem to have fallen off at Apple over the last decade or so.

• 11. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC

Probaly because they're putting all their effort into selling iPhones and iPads and ignoring the graphics community.

• 12. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                                BeckieBea Level 1

I'm sure there's been issues. I was not implying there wasn't.

We've (meaning me, myself and I, basically) been immune, though. I've NEVER had a virus on any Mac I've ever used. (Goes to knock on wood) I've used them for a good portion of my time on computers.

My husband's computer, OTOH, has been infected several times with some nasty bugs. He's had to replace it at least twice because of a virus. And he uses all that anti-virus software, which seems to just slow down the functionality of the computer itself.

Again, not saying there aren't issues with Mac, just relaying MY experiences with them.

• 13. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC

And I don't think I've ever seen a virus on my PCs, though I certainly see them on macchines I work on in my sideline repair business. Catching a computer virus is more an indication of poor computing habits than platform.

I have nothing against Macs, other than the cost and closed system Apple promotes. If they were as economical as a PC, I'd own one or two.

• 14. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                                    mpc888

I agree there is no business case to favor a Mac.

I work on a Mac as a graphics person, and there are two other Macs in the organization (both with VPs who prefer them to PCs because they have iPads and iPhones). Everybody else is on PC. Some corporate resources I need a PC to access, so I have Parallels on my Mac and can boot into Windows when I need to.

I do a lot of eye-taxing Photoshop retouching and appreciate the Mac's display.

People walk by my desk, do a double-take, and say "Wow, what a great display!"

Last week I overheard our head of IT mentioning (quietly) he'd just bought his first Mac for personal use. So even though he won't support Macs at work, and probably could configure a killer PC, he went Mac when spending his personal money.

It's all the intangibles, and you'll never sell an accountant on them. People are different and appreciate different stuff. There's no right and wrong.

• 15. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC

Mac displays are certainly better than the crap displays for PC that you see in a typical office, but if you are willing to spend the money on a professional monitor there's no reason you can't have an equal display. You also get to keep the monitor when you upgrade the PC, which can be a relatively inexpensive bit of hardware. Lots of folks buy iMacs to save money and get a larger screen, but you have to replace the whole thing when you want to upgrade. My Sony Artisan, for example lasted through 3 generations of PC and only got replaced because I coouln't get the brightness in spec to calibrate without spending money to have it rebuilt, which made no sense. My Dell 27" Ultrasharp used the same display hardware as the Apple Cinema of the same vintage (for a lot less money) and is now sitting on my wife's desk since I bought myself a 30" Dell U3014 that's supposed to be able to display 98% of Adobe RGB, far wider gamut than I can print.

• 16. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                                        Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Mac Mini's go for between $600 and $900 + and additional $160 for 16GB memory from Crucible and the like (not apple) keyboard and mouse are pretty cheap, now reason to go for the apple ones and it's not goto cost who's knows what for a decent mac set up.

On the other hand I'm not saying there's any reason to go for it. I got one for scripting purposes.