12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 6:48 AM by JETalmage RSS

Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC

jenlenhart Community Member

I am a graphic designer and just started a new position. My employers are wanting to buy me a new computer.

Currently, I am on a PC and the only programs I have to use are CS5 InDesign (no problem, that's what I've used my whole design career) and CS2 Illustrator (GASP!! I had never even seen this version until I started.)

My preference is very much Mac. What are some solid reasons that I should ask them to buy me a Mac with updated software instead of just a new PC?

I'm the newest and youngest person at my place of work, so I'm really wanting to avoid the whole "young entitled designer" thing.

Any comments would be super helpful!

• 1. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
          Monika Gause MVP

You should accept what they buy you.

After all their IT people have to manage it and it needs to fit into their system.

• 2. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
            mec_os Community Member

im in a mac only office and we have no IT person and we've never needed one, but if their is an IT person at your office i guess it's worth talking with them, but i don't believe IT people should dictate the platform employees work on. that is backwards in my opinion.

IT is there to support you not the other way around.

• 3. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
              Monika Gause MVP

but i don't believe IT people should dictate the platform employees work on

If they use specific software for communication, project planning, financial services or whatever, it might be necessary that IT people do just that. On top: it's easier to maintain and update a uniform IT system than having to develop solutions for many different systems and/or versions.

When colleagues realize that someone gets a different system they might want that as well and soon the IT people need to care for not only 2, but multiple different systems.

• 4. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                JETalmage Community Member

My preference is very much Mac.

Well, then why do you need someone else to give you reasons? If you very much prefer Mac OS, then you must have some compelling, substantive reasons for such a strong preference...don't you?

Any comments would be super helpful!

Okay. Here goes. (Remember, you asked.):

...the only programs I have to use are CS5 InDesign...and CS2 Illustrator...

So your most current graphics application is already two full versions out of date. Is your employer willing to commit to ongoing mission-critical dependency upon a single software vendor which requires continual rent-based licensing? There are simply more graphics software options available on Windows than on MacOS. If I were your employer, I'd consider that one significant factor.

As they grow, many businesses find it financially advantageous to lease their computers with replacement / update plans every few years. It makes sense to standardize on one brand, because the more machines you lease, the better deal you can get.

It certainly does make sense for a business to standardize on an OS. It makes for more seamless supporting of other departments with graphics needs. It makes for more seamless sharing of enterprise software which all employees (including you) need to access (ERP, PLM, centralized server-based email Exchange, etc., etc.)

Look: You don't live in the OS. You live in the applications you use. There was a time when there were important graphics-related functional differences. The whole Mac versus Windows thing is pretty much a non-issue nowadays. You need to just get over your adversion to Windows...or else state what are your objective compeling reasons which make your strong preference for MacOS arguable.

JET

• 5. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                  Mylenium ACP/MVPs

but i don't believe IT people should dictate the platform employees work on. that is backwards in my opinion.

That's utter nonsense. Apparently you have never even visited a facility that needs to maintain at least 100 or more unified installs with standardized program versions and patch levels. A single Mac can disturb workflows more than a computer virus.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                    Mylenium ACP/MVPs

I'm the newest and youngest person at my place of work, so I'm really wanting to avoid the whole "young entitled designer" thing.

By plastering your question all over the forums you have done exactly that - you behave like a "young entidled designer" and are trying to be a diva in an established corporate IT environment.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                      W_J_T Community Member

Mylenium wrote:

- That's utter nonsense.

- A single Mac can disturb workflows more than a computer virus.

That too and even more so is utter nonsense and an ignorant ill-informed comment. But hey at least you continue your daily addition with your post count right? As sometimes that seems more important than your responses.

• 8. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                        mec_os Community Member

you are making really big assumptions. look at the OPs experience in software, indesign and illustrator- how platform specific is that? and other than accessing files across a server i don't see how intergrated his computer needs to be to whatever skynet environment you are imagining. there was no mention of huge IT based company nor 100 installs of homogenous programs.

the biggest issue in my mind would be if the employee already has or is willing to pay for mac software for 1 person.

• 9. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                          Mylenium ACP/MVPs

Software and hardware has to be bought, licenses to be managed, installs to be deployed, the machine integrated into the network and people are involved in doing all that that need to get paid. How is that not disruptive if a company needs to maintain redundant processes just to satisfy one person's (or a handful people's) whim? That's al lI'm saying...

Mylenium

• 10. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                            Silkrooster MVP

mec_os wrote:

you are making really big assumptions. look at the OPs experience in software, indesign and illustrator- how platform specific is that? and other than accessing files across a server i don't see how intergrated his computer needs to be to whatever skynet environment you are imagining. there was no mention of huge IT based company nor 100 installs of homogenous programs.

the biggest issue in my mind would be if the employee already has or is willing to pay for mac software for 1 person.

Ah, but your assuming the company purchases one person licenses. They could be large enough that they buy a corporate license and they all get installed at once. Granted the OP stated they don't have an IT guy, but it may be plausable that they have a goto guy if they are not quite large enough to have IT guys but big enough to run from servers.

All we can do is guess, I really don't even see why this thread and the duplicates on the other forum(s) (who knows how many) are even being discussed, it is quite obvious the OP has made up their mind and is trying to rile up the members here.

The only thing I can see from this  thread and the others is the majority are pc users, but if someone likes a mac, I am not going to think differently of that person either, thats their choice.

• 11. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                              jenlenhart Community Member

IT is not an issue, for those who were wondering.

Also, thanks Mylenium, for the diva comment. This post was purely to get

feedback from other users, so I'm afraid your assumption is a little off. I

also never mentioned anything about it being the only Mac in the office,

but thanks for that the disruption comment as well.

To everyone else, thank you for taking the time to reply! Mac will continue

to remain my preference because of familiarity, graphics, and better

over-all quality (in my experience). My employers have decided to get a new

PC and an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription so I will have updated

software. Can't really complain about that.

Thanks again for your responses!

Jen

• 12. Re: Reasons for employer to buy Graphic Designer a Mac over PC
                                JETalmage Community Member

Mac will continue to remain my preference because of...

See? You do have your own reasons. Now about those:

familiarity

I dare say that, truth be told, that is by far the usual basis for Mac-centric angst; especially nowadays. But look: As a "young entitled designer" (your term, not mine) you of all types should be more flexible than that. It's really a fear-based concern; fear of having to learn a different OS. Youngsters should be all about learning new things.

Just so you know, I have nothing against Mac OS. I cut my digital graphics teeth on Macs in the mid 80s. I've very glad it's there. (After all, Microsoft and others have to have something to copy.) Prior to Windows XP, I could (and did) argue for Mac OS on the basis of demonstrable differences and win (yes, even against IT).

But that's all very different now. Even while using Macs, I knew I needed to at least maintain a working familiarity with the OS my clients were using. When it took Apply about three freakin' years of drawn-out failed promises and grossly overstated advantages to transistion to what was eventually released as OS X, I was running Windows and Mac OS in my own shop, and actually found the transition to Windows less disruptive than the change to OS X. Guess which one it turned out I don't really need?

Familiarity-based "preference" is not a preference at all. How can you objectively prefer one thing over another when by your own admission you are only familiar with one? People paint themselves into self-defeating corners with that kind of "preference" all the time, not just over OSes, but more prevalently over software. The most vehement, emotion-driven "defenders" of Illustrator, for example, usually have little or no experience with any other drawing program. When debates arise, their arguements are empty, lacking substance, being based on nothing more than "familiarity."

I've been at this since the very beginning of the shift away from airbrushes, paste-ups, and litho darkrooms. If there's one thing of which I can assure you it's that  tools-of-the-trade change. Not just competing OSes and applications, but each individual one, too. MacOS is quite different nowadays from early OS X. Windows 8.1 is quite different from XP. But when it comes down to it, what's the OS for? It's supposed to handle I/O, manage files, launch applications (wherein you spend the vast majority of your time) and otherwise stay out of your face. This stuff isn't rocket science anymore.

Most youngsters in this business are (properly) not nearly so OS defensive as we were in the early days of digital graphics. Nowadays, as soon as an iOS appears, an Android is soon to follow, and I end up being glad I never actually spent the inflated prices for an iPad but watched and waited to pay a little more for the tablet device that actually does what I need (Surface Pro). I watch my sons being quite pragmatic about everything from game platforms to mobile OSes to 3D modeling apps to programming languages. Sure, they have their favorites, but founded on rational, arguable substance. That's the kind of mindset I see as the young trend; and I think it's a healthy one.

graphics

Way too general. What does that mean? If you ever trot out that argument, you'll get called on it. You'd better be prepared to flesh it out with some specifics.

... and better over-all quality...

Again, you'd better be able to quantify that. Best overall quality, satisfaction, longevity, reliability, and value I've every enjoyed in primary desktop graphics machines are those I've bought from Xi Computing, a company which assembles computers to suit your purpose from quality off-the-shelf components.

(in my experience).

You mean based upon your familiarity? ;-)

JET