7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 1:55 PM by RobRoyGoodSam

Placing .tif error

RobRoyGoodSam

I am having a problem placing large .tif files that have both LZW compression and IBM PC byte order.

Rob

• 1. Re: Placing .tif error
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You’ve giving us nothing to go on.

What version of ID? What O/S? What PROBLEM?

• 2. Re: Placing .tif error
            RobRoyGoodSam Level 1

Indesign CC on Mavericks. As part of our workflow PDFs go thru a Nexus Rip that outputs the files as .tif with the LZW compression and IBM PC Byte order.

The tifs that are generated serve two purposes:
            One, they get shipped off to a third-party vender that doesn't like change for pagination.

Two, this is the problem. The tifs also get used to proof the clients. we have an automated workflow that takes the tifs and places them into an InDesign document and prints them. The error I get when placing larger tifs is "Error encountered while reading image". The old workflow was with Quark and this was not a limitation.

Rob

• 3. Re: Placing .tif error

While placing a TIF in InDesign should not be a problem, all I can do is shake my head after reading that.

Why would you rasterize a PDF and then place it into an InDesign file?

Since you’ve move the workflow from Quark to InDesign you should move the rest of the workflow into the 21st century as well.

Perhaps you can fill us in on WHY you are doing this this way and we can offer some suggestions.

• 4. Re: Placing .tif error
                RobRoyGoodSam Level 1

They get thrown into an Indesign document with client info from Filemaker just to print them out to send to clients for approval. We have found it is better to proof off the files that we actually send to the paginator than the PDFs.

While InDesign should take any tif, it doesn't.

This only happens to images lorger than 200kb.

My main question is this a known problem with InDesign?

• 5. Re: Placing .tif error
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No. I've placed hudreds of PC byte-order LZW tiffs athe wer megabytes in size over the years.

• 6. Re: Placing .tif error

No, so something is happening to those TIF files that are being processed.

• 7. Re: Placing .tif error
                      RobRoyGoodSam Level 1

Thanks. I am scripting a workaround for the couple of hundred (out of thousands) we send out via snail mail.