Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accepting any text in text entry box

Explorer ,
May 28, 2007 May 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I just started playing around with Captivate last week. I'm an Authorware user at present and just trying out some things to see what I can and can't do in captivate.

The first problem I've come across is in regards to text entry boxes.I'd like to have a place for the learner to input some reflections. There is no right or wrong answer here. I cant' figure out how to do this. Is there a way to set the box to accept any text?

Thank you--and I'll likely be back as I hit more things I can't figure out!
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noellet and welcome to our community

One way to do this is to think "backwards". By this, I mean that you are actually expecting the user to fail. You want them to enter text that is incorrect and take action on that aspect as if it were correct. So one way to do this is to configure something very unlikely as the comparison text for the Text Entry Box object. Something you would never expect them to type. Then anything else is a failure and the action is carried out appropriately.

One word I like to use is "Boffo". And if you really wanted to ensure that it worked even if they managed to type that word, you could reverse it to "offob".

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Rick! And how much fun can I have coming up with unlikely responses? (a lot!).

One more quick question. Is there a way to allow the user to put hard returns in their response? or have the text wrap to the size of the box? Right now if they type a paragraph it just goes all in one long line.

Thanks so much for the wisdom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Noellet

Unfortunately those options aren't yet among the abilities of the Text Entry Box beasties. As you have seen, one long line of text is all you get.

As they would seem rather important to you, (and probably others as well) you may wish to file a request to see this feature in a future release of Captivate. You may easily to this by visiting this handy little link right here and completing the form.

You may also wish to include requesting the ability to define a term, again "Boffo" for example, and have Captivate watch and recognize when the term has been properly entered without waiting for an event to trigger the evaluation.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks so much, again, Rick. I'll submit to the wish list right now.

Have yourself a coffee on me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources